Pedestrians are uniquely vulnerable to accidents that negligent drivers and others cause. Since pedestrians have nothing to protect them from the force and weight of a much larger motor vehicle, their injuries can be severe.
A Richardson pedestrian accident lawyer can help injury victims seek a financial recovery from all parties liable for the accident.
Financial Recovery After a Pedestrian Accident
Drivers of motor vehicles who cause pedestrian accidents can be liable for the costs of any resulting injuries to others. Any negligence on the part of the drivers forms the basis for liability. Negligence occurs when drivers fail to exercise reasonable care to keep others safe, such as when they:
- Fail to obey stop signs or traffic lights
- Exceed posted speed limits
- Drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Otherwise drive in a reckless or unsafe manner
Injured pedestrians can seek a financial recovery from the at-fault parties. The types of damages available will vary according to the facts of each case. However, available damages in a pedestrian accident case may include:
- The expenses of current and future medical treatment for the injuries
- Home health care, personal care, and rehabilitation expenses
- Lost wages and lost future income if unable to work
- Permanent disability, scarring, or disfigurement
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
You must thoroughly document all expenses and intangible losses. Bills and receipts can support your claim for economic damages. Proof of non-economic damages can come from describing the day-to-day effects of the accident and injuries on your life in a:
- Video diary
- Official statement
You could detail how you can no longer participate in some activities or pastimes that you previously enjoyed.
Choosing the Right Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
You always should take care to choose the accident lawyers right for you. You will be working closely with any lawyer representing you, so you should be comfortable with your choice. When interviewing lawyers representing Richardson accident victims, you could ask questions such as:
- How often will you update me about my case?
- Will you or another staff member communicate with me?
- What can I expect at each stage of my case?
- Have you handled cases like mine in the past?
- How long have you been handling pedestrian accident cases?
- Which attorneys and staff members will be working on my case?
Since 2002, we have provided legal representation for injury victims of pedestrian accidents and other types of accidents. We strive to represent the best interests of our clients and work to secure recovery in each case.
We have the experience to fight in your corner and negotiate with the insurance company.
Our Law Firm Can Make Sure Your Case Is Ready for Court
We know that insurance agents may contact you soon after an accident and offer you a low settlement in exchange for a waiver of any further claims. Their goal is to settle your case as quickly as possible and for as little as possible. They are likely to approach you when you are still vulnerable from your injuries and before you have had a chance to get legal advice.
Getting advice from legal advocates at our law firm can help you avoid accepting an unfair settlement. We can prevent the insurance company from unfairly taking advantage of you. Allow us to take the time necessary to gather all the information that we need to evaluate offers from the insurance company, such as:
- Investigating the cause of your accident
- Obtaining all relevant evidence
- Interviewing eyewitnesses
- Reviewing medical records
Together, we can review the evidence in your case and make decisions about any settlement offers you have received. You can make the best determinations for you and your family when you have the right information. Getting appropriate legal advice can make a significant difference in the resolution of your case.
Responsible Parties in Your Pedestrian Accident Case
Pedestrian accidents are often the fault of negligent drivers who strike pedestrians with their vehicles. However, other parties may be responsible for pedestrian accidents, as well. Other liable parties may include:
- Construction companies, if a pedestrian is struck by falling debris or trips over debris left on the sidewalk
- Cities or towns, if a sidewalk is not maintained
- Business owners, if a sidewalk or driveway is not maintained
- Bicyclists who negligently collide with pedestrians
Pedestrians could be at fault for your road accident, as they might have crossed illegally.
More than one motorist or party also could be at fault in a pedestrian accident. Properly identifying potentially liable parties is crucial to successful personal injury claims. Your attorneys can investigate to determine all possible sources of liability in your case.
We Can Ensure That You Meet the Legal Deadlines That Apply to Your Case
Under Texas law, you only have two years after your accident to file your case in court. Failure to file your case until after that date will likely result in the court dismissing your case. You could be unable to get a settlement or recovery for your injuries stemming from the accident.
This filing deadline or statute of limitations is one reason talking your case over with an attorney as soon as possible is so important. Missing this deadline can result in you missing your opportunity to get any financial recovery from those responsible for the accident. You also will be unable to hold negligent parties accountable for their conduct.
When You Suffer Injuries in a Pedestrian Accident, We Are Here to Help
We start with a free case consultation so that you can talk to us about your situation. Learn more about how your lawyer may be able to help with your case. You might have lost a loved one to the accident. You could have legal options if someone was killed in a pedestrian accident in Texas.
Contact us today at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ by calling (713) 850-8600. Get more information about your rights to bring a legal claim after falling victim to a pedestrian accident.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- If I Have Been Injured In A Truck Accident Can I Sue The Trucking Company?
- Is It too Late to File an OSU Collegiate Sexual Assault Case?
- Do You Need To Hire A Lawyer To Recover Money For A Slip And Fall Injury?
- Who Can I Sue if I Was Injured While Riding a Houston METRO Bus?
- When Should You Contact a Lawyer After a Car Accident?