Rear-end collisions often occur at relatively low speeds, and most do not cause major damage to the vehicles involved. There are exceptions to every rule, however, and with an event as common as getting rear-ended, those exceptions occur more often than you probably realize.
A rear-end collision can cause whiplash and other neck injuries, even at low speeds. Wrecks at higher speeds may lead to broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, and spinal cord injuries for Texas drivers.
The personal injury team from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, can help you file a claim against the driver who failed to stop in time. We offer free initial consultations and can explain the strengths of your case. We will navigate the claims process for you. Call us today at 713-850-8600 to talk to a rear-end collision accident and injury lawyer in Houston.
Recoverable Damages After a Houston Rear-End Collision Accident
The severity of your accident and the injuries you suffered play a significant role in the damages you can recover through an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. A minor fender bender that left you with scrapes and bruises and damage to your rear bumper is naturally going to bring a smaller payout than a high-speed collision that totaled your car and left you in the hospital for a week or more.
These cases are often thought of as difficult, however, because of the prevalence of injuries to the soft tissue of the neck, upper back, and shoulders. Whiplash and other similar injuries are difficult to prove but can lead to very real pain and impairment. We can help you collect evidence of your injuries and use it to bolster your case for damages.
You may be able to recover compensation for:
- Repair or replacement of your vehicle;
- A rental car while your case is pending and during repairs;
- Hospitalization, if required;
- The cost of outpatient medical care;
- Pain management and other prescription medications;
- Rehabilitation, physical therapy, and other related costs;
- Lost wages for missed work; and
- Pain and suffering damages.
Who Is Liable for a Houston Rear-End Accident?
In many rear-end collisions, the rear driver was following too closely, speeding, distracted, or otherwise acting negligently at the time of the crash. This means that, in most cases, the rear driver is at fault for the crash.
When we evaluate and investigate the circumstance of your crash, we will consider the possibility that someone else caused your Houston rear-end collision. We will want to rule out this possibility before we file our claim or take legal action against the other driver. However, we almost always find that the rear-driver did, indeed, act carelessly and cause an accident.
The evidence we need to prove liability in this type of case can vary depending on exactly what happened. In general, we will investigate your accident and:
- Analyze the police report filed at the scene;
- Document any citations the police issued to the other driver;
- Interview witnesses who saw the crash;
- Enlist the help of a survey team, accident reconstruction specialists, and other experts;
- Inspect all the vehicles involved in the accident; and
- Collect your medical records, bills, receipts, and other proof of your damages.
Getting the Compensation You Deserve After a Houston Rear-End Collision
Some accident victims opt to handle their Houston rear-end accident claim on their own, but generally, people get better results with an attorney. We can protect your right to fair compensation, help you prove negligence and liability, and ensure your injuries are thoroughly documented.
Time Limits for Filing a Lawsuit in Texas
The Texas statute of limitations on car accident cases generally runs out two years to the day after your accident. If we are going to pursue litigation to recover the money you deserve, we must do so before this deadline passes.
Since these cases do not always go to court, this deadline does not apply in every case. However, it is important to keep in mind, since the ability to file a lawsuit and take the case to court provides significant leverage in our settlement negotiations. For this reason, we recommend contacting us as soon as possible after a crash to get started.
Talk to a Rear-End Collision Accident and Injury Lawyer in Houston.
If a rear-end collision left you in pain or with other injuries, the team from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, will evaluate the strength of your case for free. We can outline your options for recovering compensation, and even walk you through the process. We handle rear-end accident cases on a contingency basis, so you have nothing to lose.
Call us today at 713-850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- When Should You Contact a Lawyer After a Car Accident?
- Are Employers Responsible for When Their Employees Cause Car Accidents?
- What is ‘Loss of Future Earning Capacity’ & How Does it Apply to Injury Cases?
- What’s The Average Wrongful Death Settlement In Texas?
- Who Is Legally Responsible for Your Injuries in an Accident with a Bus in Texas?