A wrongful death action may allow you to hold the at-fault party responsible for your loved one’s death while also collecting the compensation you need to ensure you can pay for their funeral and other costs. We can help you build a strong case to fight for a fair payout.
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, our Texas wrongful death lawyers in League City can help you navigate the legal process and try to help you hold the at-fault party accountable for the pain and suffering you endured because of the death of your loved one.
We offer free case evaluations and handle all wrongful death actions on a contingency basis. You don’t have to pay any attorney’s fees unless we recover compensation for you. To talk to a member of our League City, Texas wrongful death team today, call us at 1-713-850-8600 to schedule an appointment.
Recovering Damages after a Loved One Dies in a League City Accident
In Texas, a wrongful death action may allow you to collect compensation to cover your family’s losses and expenses related to the death of your family member. Common damages often include:
- Funeral expenses and other related costs
- Loss of future household income
- Loss of inheritance
- Loss of companionship, household services, support, advice, etc.
- Mental anguish
It is important to note that a wrongful death action centers on your losses and the losses of other surviving family members. We can also help you pursue a survival action, which may allow you to collect compensation for the expenses and losses your loved one experienced before their death. This type of compensation goes to the estate and distributes according to the will or estate plan. It may include:
- Medical bills
- Out-of-pocket costs
- Repair or replacement of their vehicle or other property
- Pain and suffering they experienced before death
Eligible Family Members in a Texas Wrongful Death Action
Texas limits the family members who can file a wrongful death action and attempt to collect compensation after a negligence accident takes the life of their loved one. This short list includes:
- A spouse who is legally married at the time of their partner’s death
- Any adult or minor children of the deceased including adopted children
- The surviving parents of the deceased
If one of these eligible family members files a wrongful death action, it will cover the remaining eligible family members. In some cases, and with permission of eligible family members, the executor of the will or estate administrator can file a claim on behalf of the family, as well.
In rare cases, other family members may be able to try to recover compensation through a wrongful death claim. This may be possible if they can show they suffered financial losses or incurred expenses because of the death. For example, if a brother pays for his sister’s funeral he may be able to recover these costs through a wrongful death claim.
Pursuing a League City, Texas, Wrongful Death Action
Our team can handle all aspects of your wrongful death action, aggressively fighting to try to recover compensation. In an effort to help you hold the liable party responsible for their actions, our legal team can:
- Protect your rights under the Texas Wrongful Death Act
- Manage all communications with the insurance company
- Identify the liable party and proving negligence
- File an insurance claim or wrongful death action in court
- Explain other options to recover compensation
We can handle all types of wrongful death cases, no matter how your loved one lost their life. Some of the most common types of negligence accidents and wrongful death cases we handle include:
- Car or truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Slips and falls
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Other personal injury accidents
We investigate thoroughly every wrongful death case we handle, focusing on proving negligence and liability so we can hold the at-fault party responsible for the actions that lead to the death of your loved one. During this investigation, you can expect us to:
- Identify, collect, and analyze any and all available evidence
- Review witness statements and conduct additional interviews
- Survey and document the scene of the accident
- Analyze your loved one’s medical records and talk with medical experts
- Utilize a car accident reconstruction specialist, if applicable
- Collect documentation of your losses and expenses
Filing Your Claim or Taking Legal Action
Once we build a strong case to support our fight for compensation, we have two options. We can file a claim with the at-fault party’s auto, homeowner, or business liability insurer. We can also file a lawsuit and as a judge to rule on your case.
In most cases, we file an insurance claim first, when possible. This gives us more control of the outcome since we can negotiate a fair payout. It is also often faster and less costly than taking the case to court.
If the insurance company refuses a fair settlement agreement, we will not hesitate to file a lawsuit and take your case in front of a judge. We can present the case we built to the judge, and ask them to decide if you deserve a payout.
Talk to a Wrongful Death Lawyer in League City Today
Since Texas law only gives you two years from the date of your loved one’s death to take legal action in a wrongful death case, you should act as soon as possible. The League City team from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can help you understand your legal options and fight for the compensation we believe you deserve.
If you believe another person’s negligence took the life of your family member, we can help you file a wrongful death or survivorship action today. Call us today at 1-713-850-8600 for a free case review with one of our League City wrongful death attorneys.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Are Some Questions to Ask a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Can You Seek Compensation If Your Accident Was Caused By a Tire Blowout?
- What’s the Most That a Pedestrian Can Sue for Car Accident Injuries in Texas?
- Can You Sue For Distracted Driving Accidents In Texas?
- What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Texas