Texas is the third highest state in the U.S. for fatal pedestrian accidents, with 607 pedestrians passing in 2017, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). If you have injuries because of a pedestrian accident that was not your fault, we may be able to help.
A pedestrian accident lawyer serving Abilene can get to work on seeking financial recovery even as you are still physically recovering from your injuries. You do not have to wait until you are out of the hospital or for the insurance company to contact you.
We invite you to call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC today for a free case evaluation with a member of our firm. We are happy to talk with you at your home, the hospital, our office, or by phone. Call (713) 850-8600.
How a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Might Help You
As pedestrian accident lawyers, we realize that this is a painful experience physically, emotionally, and financially. If you decide to move forward with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC as your legal advocates, we will protect your rights and help you recover damages.
- Assess your injuries and prognosis with the assistance of your healthcare provider.
- Investigate your accident to determine liable parties.
- Secure evidence of liability or wrongdoing.
- Negotiate with insurance companies.
- Take your case to trial.
If negotiations with the negligent party’s insurance company do not return a fair settlement for you and your family, we can argue your case in court to receive a judgment. In cases where the vehicle that hit you was grossly negligent, for example, if they were driving under the influence, a judge or jury might award you exemplary damages to punish the driver.
Before You Call Us, Get Medical Help
It is likely that you are already under a doctor’s care.
A collision between a pedestrian and a car or truck is worse for the individual on foot. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), pedestrians in an accident are 1.5 times more likely to be killed than a driver or passenger in a car. Approximately 137,000 pedestrians received emergency room care for nonfatal injuries in 2017, according to the CDC.
Injuries related to a pedestrian accident often include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Neck injury and whiplash
- Broken or crushed bones
- Torn or twisted soft tissue, such as muscle, ligaments, and tendons
- Internal bleeding
If you have not been medically treated, please do so at once. You might not notice an injury right after the accident, but you might be in pain later. Not only will visiting the doctor or hospital ensure your physical health, but it could also serve as evidence that the accident caused your injury.
How We Help You Recover Damages
A pedestrian accident lawyer serving Abilene understands our state’s liability and negligence laws. The burden of proof is on the plaintiff (the injured person) to show how the defendant caused your injuries and therefore, may be liable for your losses.
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has the staff and resources to investigate your case to collect such evidence as:
- Police or accident reports.
- Photos or videos of the accident scene.
- Proof of your injuries including photos and imaging tests.
- Witness statements.
- Information about the defendant, such as driving history, previous violations, and any alcohol or drug test results.
Certain evidence, such as skid marks, erodes over time. The sooner you call, the sooner you can make an informed decision about your next step. Please call (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation with a member of our firm.
Proving Liability in a Pedestrian Accident Case
A pedestrian accident is a type of personal injury. Texas law has a statute of limitations for personal injury that allows two years from the date of the accident to pursue recovery.
A lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will use collected evidence to fulfill four conditions that are key to a solid personal injury claim:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care to avoid injury to you.
- The defendant failed to uphold this duty of care for some reason, whether through recklessness or omission.
- This negligence caused your bodily injuries.
- These injuries caused you to suffer damages in the form of medical bills, pain and suffering, and other losses.
We Pursue Recovery While You Focus on Your Health
A lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will be your legal advocate to protect your rights and help you recover damages.
Depending on your injuries, your damages may include:
- Medical care and treatment (current and future)
- Lost pay for the time you were being treated for injuries
- Reduced earning ability (either temporary or permanent)
- Domestic or lifecare services
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
If you lost a family member in a pedestrian accident, please accept our condolences. We can help you and surviving family members with recovery through a wrongful death claim or lawsuit to recover costs for funeral and burial expenses, among other damages.
Risk Factors for Pedestrian Accidents
According to the CDC, most pedestrian accidents occur:
- At night
- In urban areas
- At non-intersection sites
Some of the safety tips for walkers on their website include:
- Walk on sidewalks whenever available.
- Use intersections and designated crosswalks when crossing the street.
- Use a flashlight at night or wear a reflective vest.
Call the Attorneys at Our Firm About Potential Recovery
A pedestrian accident can affect you and your loved ones for a long time. You deserve to know your legal options, including the right to seek damages from the person who caused the accident. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC today to find out how a pedestrian accident lawyer serving Abilene may help.
Our commitment to client service includes:
- Regular updates about your case, and if you contact us, your phone call or email is promptly returned.
- Representation and protection of your rights at each phase.
- Privileged attorney-client communication.
A team member is ready to take your call now for a free case evaluation at (713) 850-8600.