Accidental injuries happen quickly but can have long-term effects. Serious injuries, especially to the brain, back, or neck, can prevent people from returning to their careers. Many people struggle with feelings of helplessness as they watch medical bills pile up that they have no way to pay. The financial and emotional impact of an accident can be devastating.
If you were injured because of another person’s negligence, you might be entitled to financial recovery for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Your Carrollton personal injury lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC may be able to help you recover damages for these expenses and more.
Who Is at Fault in a Personal Injury Case?
There are certain factors that need to be present in order to bring forward a personal injury claim. These factors include:
- Duty of care: The person who injured you owed you a duty of care, an obligation to keep you reasonably safe. For example, drivers must follow traffic laws, property owners must clear sidewalks and parking lots, and healthcare providers must follow standard treatment guidelines.
- Violation: The person who injured you put you at risk by violating the duty of care.
- Causation: This negligent behavior directly caused your injuries.
- Damages: You suffered losses because of your injuries, and the at-fault party should compensate you.
If you have a valid case, your lawyer will advise you on the best way to seek damages from the at-fault party.
Recovering Damages After a Personal Injury
Every personal injury case is different. In general, people with more severe injuries can secure a greater recovery than people with less severe injuries. Your lawyer will evaluate how your injuries have impacted your life to determine how much your case is worth. You may be entitled to both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages cover direct losses associated with the accident, such as:
- Medical expenses including ambulance bills, emergency treatment, surgeries, doctor’s appointments, rehabilitative therapies, prescription medication, and more
- Property damage for the repair or replacement of your vehicle
- Lost wages if your injuries keep you from working temporarily or permanently
Non-economic damages compensate you for mental anguish and pain and suffering, factors that can be hard to quantify but negatively impact your life. You may be able to recover non-economic damages if:
- You become permanently disfigured or disabled
- You suffer from chronic pain
- Your injuries require a long recovery or extended treatments
- You can no longer participate in hobbies or activities you once enjoyed
- You become anxious or depressed or develop other mental health conditions
- Your quality of life is reduced in other ways
Working with Our Law Firm May Help Your Carrollton Case
Your personal injury lawyer will help you with every aspect of your case, from making sure you receive adequate medical care, to including the appropriate legal damages in the demand to the insurance company.
Here are some ways we can help:
We understand that going through a personal injury case is exhausting. We are here for you, whether you need someone to schedule your medical appointments or someone to translate legalese into plain English.
Investigating the Cause of Your Injuries
We will investigate the circumstances surrounding your injuries. Whether you were involved in a motor vehicle accident, suffered from medical malpractice, or slipped at the grocery store, we will investigate the incident and collect evidence to prove the negligence of the defendant. We may gather evidence such as pictures from the scene, police reports, eyewitness statements, and more.
WFAA reporting supports the unfortunate reality of negligent drivers. Many parties in the Carrollton area act in ways that result in harm to others. Such an incident could mean damages for your family.
Estimate the Value of Your Damages
We will estimate how much your damages are worth based on evidence such as:
- Medical bills and records
- Pictures of your injuries
- Interviews with you, your friends, and family
- Past wage statements
Pursue Damages from the At-Fault Party
We fight back against big insurance companies every day, and we will fight back for you, too. Insurance companies often try to settle cases quickly and cheaply. We will pursue every dollar you deserve, whether through a settlement or litigation.
Here’s What People Are Saying About D. Miller & Associates, PLLC
Our team has helped many victims of personal injury in the Carrollton area and beyond. With over 66 years of experience, our 48 team members know how to navigate the Texas legal system to get you paid. That experience has led us to win more than 36,000 cases and recover over $250 billion in settlements and verdicts. Here’s what our clients have to say about us:
- “Mr. Rubenstein listened. The case was about me, not him. I appreciated that and that is why we were successful.”
- “Andy Rubenstein once handled my Medical Malpractice Lawsuit and…Mr. Rubenstein stepped in and handled my case with such professionalism and care. Andy is a wonderful person first and an outstanding Attorney, I felt like we had become very good friends.”
- “When I first got into my accident I was so nervous. I lost my vehicle and I was in pain. but after shopping around for lawyers, I was led to D. Miller and Associates. From day one they reassured me that everything was going to be fine. Even as I wait through my surgery and I wasn’t able to work, I was always able to count on D. Miller & Associates for help.”
Legal Deadlines in Texas May Affect Your Case
When taking legal action against the party that injured you, you must meet important legal deadlines. If you wait too long, you risk forfeiting your right to bring a claim and recover damages.
- Texas law gives you two years from the date you were injured to file a lawsuit for personal injury.
- Texas law gives you two years from the date you discovered your injuries or the date of the incident to file a lawsuit for medical malpractice.
Your lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will help you determine how these laws affect your case and when the statute of limitations will expire.
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC Can Represent You in Your Personal Injury Case
You may be able to recover damages for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering if you were hurt in Carrollton, TX. Your personal injury lawyer may be able to help you recover damages for these expenses and more.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC today for a free, no-obligation case consultation. Our team is ready to represent you as you seek justice for your injuries resulting from a slip and fall or truck accident.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Are the Benefits From Workers’ Compensation Taxable In Texas?
- Do Insurance Companies Pay For Pain And Suffering?
- Do You Need To Hire A Lawyer To Recover Money For A Slip And Fall Injury?
- Can I Sue for Pregnancy Complications Following a Car Accident?
- Who Pays for Your Medical Bills During the Personal Injury Claim Process?