Dog bites are terrifying for adults and even more so for children. If a dog bit you, your child, or another family member, please get medical attention right away. Although dog owners must have their dogs vaccinated for rabies, this is not always the case. Other serious and potentially deadly infections are transferred during a dog bite.
Be sure to follow your healthcare provider’s instructions. Most dog bites need antibiotics and wound care. As soon as you can, please call a dog bite lawyer in Channelview, TX to make sure your legal rights are protected, too. Schedule a free case evaluation with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC by calling (713) 850-8600.
A Dog Bite Lawyer in Channelview Will Protect Your Rights
Dog owners have certain responsibilities or a duty of care. These include:
- Regular rabies and other required vaccinations
- Animal license renewal
- Follow local leash laws
- Keep others from unwanted advances (such as jumping or chasing)
The dog bite statutes in Texas can be confusing. That is why you should speak with a dog bite lawyer in Channelview, TX. A dog bite lawyer understands the required proof to show that a dog owner was negligent.
Here are some examples in which a dog bite lawyer in Channelview could prove liability:
- The owner was aware of prior attacks but did not take reasonable steps to prevent future bites.
- The dog was running loose despite local leash ordinances.
- The owner saw the attack but did not intervene.
A dog owner who does not take reasonable measures to protect people should be held accountable. To learn more, please call a dog bite lawyer in Channelview, TX for a free case evaluation. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600.
Types of Damages You Could Recover
If a dog bite lawyer in Channelview proves that the dog’s owner was negligent and therefore liable for the attack, you could recover recovery compensation for your injuries and expenses. Many dog-bite victims have anxiety and other emotional trauma along with physical wounds. We will seek recovery for your physical, mental, and financial damages.
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has helped injured clients recover recovery by filing a claim against the dog owner’s property or liability insurance. Some of the damages and expenses that we will pursue for you may include:
- Urgent care or emergency department visit
- Doctor visits
- Surgery including reconstructive if needed
- Lost pay
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Recovery Through Insurance Settlement or Lawsuit
A dog bite lawyer in Channelview will pursue recovery from the dog owner’s insurance. There are several reasons why including:
- Recovery of compensation may be faster
- You have medical bills and other expenses
- The dog’s owner does not have to admit to liability
- Jury trials have many factors that affect a verdict and recovery
- It may take months before your case is seen depending on court caseload
A dog bite lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC is a skilled negotiator who will look out for your best interests. He or she will vigorously pursue the most recovery you could be entitled to receive. If a lawyer from our firm cannot reach an acceptable settlement, you have the right to file a lawsuit within two years of the date of the incident.
You have legal options. A dog bite lawyer in Channelview is your safe and confidential advocate. To schedule a free case evaluation with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, please call (713) 850-8600.
Our Recommendations After a Dog Bite
There are some actions you can take that will help a dog bite lawyer from our firm to maximize your potential recovery. We recommend the following steps:
- Write down a detailed account of the attack, including where you were, what you were doing, and if the dog showed prior aggression toward you.
- Get the names and contact information of witnesses.
- Take pictures of your injuries, torn clothes, or any other physical evidence of the attack.
- Keep all correspondence from the dog owner’s insurance company.
When a Dog Bite Is Deadly
Between the years 2005 and 2017, 433 Americans lost their lives from dog attacks. Half of these victims were nine years old or younger. If you lost a child or other family member in a dog attack, please accept our condolences.
A dog bite lawyer in Channelview can file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. The dog’s owner should be held accountable. It is possible that the owner may face criminal charges, too.
Dog Bite Wrongful Death Case
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit for parents, children, and other legally recognized family members. We will seek recovery for such losses as:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills before your loved one’s passing
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Lost income based upon the average life expectancy had your loved one survived
- Mental anguish
- Loss of companionship, protection, consortium, or support
You deserve respect and compassion after the loss of a loved one. A dog bite lawyer from our firm will take care of the details and pursue recovery for you. Please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600 for your free, no-obligation case evaluation.
Breeds in Dog Bites
Any dog has the potential to attack. According to DogsBite.org, the top five breeds most commonly involved in a dog attack are:
- Pit bulls
- German Shepherd
- American bulldog
To schedule a free case evaluation with a dog bite lawyer in Channelview, TX, please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600.