Losing a loved one because of someone’s careless behavior is traumatic for surviving family members. It can also create a financial burden if your loved one contributed to your family’s income.
A wrongful death lawyer in Channelview, TX can help you during this challenging time. You might be entitled to financial recovery for damages such as lost income and burial expenses. Please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
Our Firm Can Help You With a Wrongful Death Claim or Lawsuit
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC accepts many types of wrongful death cases including:
- Motor vehicle accidents including car, 18-wheeler, truck, bus, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian, and moped collisions
- Train derailments
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Medical malpractice
- Defective medical parts or prescription drugs
- Slip and fall accidents
- Dog bite and animal attacks
- Defective parts or repairs
- Workplace accidents
- Uber & Lyft accidents
If a loved one passed away because of negligence by another person or party, you could be entitled to financial recovery. A wrongful death lawyer in Channelview, TX will pursue recovery on your behalf on a contingency basis. To learn more, please call (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
How a Wrongful Death Claim or Lawsuit Works
A wrongful death in Texas is defined as any loss of life that is the result of “wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness, or default.” A wrongful death lawyer in Channelview can determine if you qualify for financial recovery from the liable party. These are not criminal charges but compensatory damages because of your loved one’s wrongful death.
A wrongful death lawyer from our firm will review what role the other party played in your loved one’s passing. This is determined primarily through proving a duty of care by the other party.
Duty of Care in a Wrongful Death Case
Duty of care is a person’s legal responsibility to avoid behaviors or omissions that might harm another person. For example, licensed drivers have a duty of care to take reasonable, prudent measures to prevent an accident.
It is important to show that the other party had a duty of care to prove negligence. Negligence occurs when this duty of care is breached, for example:
- Running a red light
- Administering the wrong dosage of medicine to a patient
- Driving a school bus while intoxicated
If the other party breached their duty of care (for whatever reason) and caused the accident that took the life of your loved one, you could qualify for financial recovery. It is best to take your case to a wrongful death lawyer in Channelview for a free case evaluation. Please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600.
A Wrongful Death Lawyer in Channelview Can Pursue Financial Recovery on Your Behalf
A wrongful death lawyer in Channelview can file a wrongful death claim against the other party’s insurance coverage. The type of insurance depends on the circumstances of your loved one’s death so that the coverage may be:
- Property (home or business)
- Medical malpractice
- Personal injury
We prefer first to seek recovery through insurance. Insurance settlements usually take less time to negotiate and do not require the stress and expense of a trial. Of course, a wrongful death lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can bring your case to court if an agreement with the insurance company cannot be reached. There is a two-year limit on filing a wrongful death lawsuit in Texas.
What Your Financial Recovery May Include
You may be entitled to recover damages for such losses as:
- Medical bills before your loved one’s passing
- Funeral and burial costs
- Lost earning ability and inheritance including salary, benefits, and other annuities (if he or she had lived a normal expected lifetime)
- Loss of companionship, protection, guidance, maintenance, support, and counsel
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
A wrongful death lawyer in Channelview can file a wrongful death insurance claim for legally recognized family members, including:
- Child (biological or legally adopted)
Since 2002, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has helped families who have lost loved ones because of someone’s negligence. Please call a wrongful death lawyer in Channelview at (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
Certain Factors May Influence Recovery in a Wrongful Death Case
In Texas, wrongful death claims include economic and intangible worth. Economic worth is a person’s expected income over a normal lifetime, including benefits and pension. Intangible worth is the loss of a spouse, child or parent and associated mental anguish. There is no predetermined financial recovery in a wrongful death claim or lawsuit.
Sometimes an insurance adjuster or jury will consider certain factors as they pertain to potential earning and inheritance. For example, the court may view the economic worth of a retired senior citizen differently than a 34-year-old professional.
In addition to your loved one’s age at passing, other factors may influence financial recovery, including:
- Your loved one’s income at the time of their demise or their potential income based upon their education and career trajectory
- Your loved one’s health before the accident
- Your loved one’s personal habits and temperament (for example, non-smoker or moderate drinker)
- The health, age, and financial circumstances of surviving family members
Please Call for a Free Case Evaluation
Please do not wait to see if you qualify for financial recovery. A wrongful death lawyer in Channelview, TX can help you pursue recovery for damages such as medical bills and lost income. Contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC for a free case evaluation. Please call (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Do You Need to Pay a Retainer For Our Personal Injury Lawyers?
- Are Trucking Companies Required By Texas Law To Have Full Coverage Insurance?
- What Is the Value of a Spinal Cord Injury Case in Texas?
- What Types of Injury Cases Fall Under Premises Liability Law In Texas?
- What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Texas