If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, you likely face mounting medical expenses related to your care and the pain and suffering of knowing what happened during the accident. Fortunately, there are legal ways that you can hold the responsible party accountable and seek potential financial recovery related to your injuries. If your loved one passed away as a result of the truck accident, you could seek justice on their behalf.
To schedule a case evaluation with a truck accident lawyer serving Conroe, contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600. There are many options available to you in terms of the next steps. We would love to be able to provide support and legal assistance to your family during this difficult time.
Common Injuries from Truck Accidents
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there were about 160,000 truck accident injury cases in 2017. The common injuries associated with truck accidents include:
- Cuts: Cuts are common in accidents due to broken glass and other materials.
- Bruises: Bruises can happen when drivers and passengers hit the inside of the vehicle during an accident. Seatbelts and airbags can also cause bruises.
- Amputations: Severe injuries to limbs may require amputation if the damage cannot be repaired.
- Traumatic brain injuries: Head injuries in truck accidents often lead to serious brain injuries, which can cause disabilities and other problems.
- Head, neck, and spine trauma: The head, neck, and spine experience extreme forces, which may damage the soft tissue or bones.
- Broken arms: Broken arms are common because they are free to move and hit hard materials during accidents.
- Death: The extreme forces caused by a truck accident can create severe injuries or even death on contact. Severe injuries that are not treated quickly can also lead to death.
These are some of the injuries caused by truck accidents. Many other types of injuries are possible. Depending on the accident and the size of the truck, you likely experienced multiple injuries during the course of your accident. All of this will be factored into your possible legal case.
Types of Truck Accidents
There are many different types of truck accidents, from rollovers and jackknifed situations that impact vehicles on both sides of the road to small vehicles that get stuck on the undercarriage of larger semi-trucks. The speed, weather conditions, and place of impact have a lot to do with the severity of the accident and its resulting injuries. Because of the nature of large trucks, most of the accidents involving trucks are quite severe.
Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations refers to the length of time that you have after the accident to file a civil lawsuit against the person responsible for your injuries. In the state of Texas, you generally have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim, according to Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code § 16.003.
Despite this time period available to file your claim, it is still a good idea to pursue legal action as soon as possible. Even if you do not end up filing a lawsuit right away, it is important to start the process and identify what available evidence you can secure now. While it is possible to file a lawsuit toward the end of the statute of limitations, there are certainly advantages to filing it earlier.
Financial Impacts of Truck Accidents
In most cases, you will receive a settlement from your auto insurance provider or the auto insurance policy of the truck driver. Often, this is not enough to cover the full extent of your expenses related to the truck accident. Some other financial impacts to consider are:
- Hospital expenses
- Surgery expenses
- Specialist bills
- Residential rehabilitation programs
- Durable medical equipment
- Lost wages
- Personal property replacement
- Lost ability to work in the future
- Fear of driving or other mental anguish
- Therapy expenses
These are just some of the financial impacts that some people experience because of their truck accident. However, other expenses are possible. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600 to speak with a member of our team to see if a truck accident lawyer serving Conroe might be able to help you.
Reasons to Hire a Lawyer
There are many different reasons why you may want to consider hiring a truck accident lawyer to help you with your lawsuit. While technically you can file a lawsuit on your own without the help of a lawyer, it can be a difficult, time-consuming, and detail-oriented process.
Having someone else who has gone through the process before, file it on your behalf could be beneficial to you. Plus, you will have a lot of other things to focus on during this time, such as medical procedures, to aid in your recovery. A lawyer can take care of those details while you focus on your physical recovery.
Severity of Injuries
To some extent, the severity of your injuries from your truck accident does not matter. If someone else has hurt you, you have the legal option to pursue recourse for what happened. The more severe your injuries, the more money you could possibly see in financial recovery related to your medical needs and ongoing care.
However, it is important not to rule out seeking legal action because you are not sure if your injuries are severe enough to warrant it. It is worth taking the time to schedule a consultation with a truck accident lawyer to ask for guidance related to your potential legal case.
Call to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation
The sooner you decide what your next steps are in terms of recovery for the truck accident, the sooner that you will be able to get your life back to a more normal place. Discussing your potential legal case with a personal injury lawyer can give you answers to important questions that you may have about your options. To see how a truck accident lawyer serving Conroe can help you, call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Texas Have a Statute Of Limitations For Personal Injury Claims?
- What Does the USC Sexual Abuse Settlement Cover?
- How Much Should You Expect in a Commercial Uber Accident Settlement In Texas?
- What if You Have Trouble Paying Medical Bills After a Serious Car Accident?
- Should I Call the Police After My Truck Accident?