Car accidents can lead to serious injuries and extensive property damage. Even when accident victims experience life-changing injuries, insurance companies do not make it easy to get a fair settlement. A car accident lawyer in Cypress, TX, can help you navigate the legal process to pursue compensation for your expenses and losses.
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™, we help car accident victims across Texas fight for their rights after a personal injury accident. If another party was responsible for your crash, we will help you try to prove your case and get compensation for your damages. Let us sift through the aftermath of the accident to fight for the fair settlement you deserve. Call us at 713-850-8600 to get a free consultation with an attorney.
Defining the Cause of Your Car Accident
According to Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) statistics for 2019, there were 12,907 accidents that resulted in serious injuries for 15,855 people. These accidents also resulted in a loss of 3,623 lives. Causes of car accidents can include:
- Failure to yield
- Running a red light
- Ignoring a stop sign
- Following too closely
- Unsafe lane changes
- Driving under the influence
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Distracted or inattentive driving
Our legal team will collect the evidence that proves the cause of your accident. The evidence will also identify the liable party and document the monetary value of your recoverable damages.
Collecting Evidence That Establishes Negligence and Financial Liability
Evidence collection after a car accident can be a time-consuming and daunting process. Our investigative team will take care of finding evidence that supports your case. Our personal injury lawyer will sort and organize your evidence and prepare it for the negotiation process or for court.
The evidence we collect for you may include:
- Car accident report
- Medical records and bills
- Witness statements
- Accident reconstruction data
Because the range of evidence your case requires will come from many sources, requesting, obtaining, and collecting it can take time, patience, and attention to detail. Our client support team can handle this for you.
Establishing Liability After The Accident
In Texas, you have the right to request compensation from the person who was liable for your car accident. We understand how to uncover evidence that shows who was at fault for your accident, so we can hold them responsible for your losses.
After we establish a case that proves that the other party is at fault, we can go after money for your damages. The ultimate value of your claim will depend on the damages incurred by the accident. In a car accident case, the possible damages often include:
- Property damage to your car and any items inside your vehicle;
- Medical expenses;
- Lost wages from the time you missed at work;
- Long-term medical costs, if you suffered a permanent injury;
- Reduced earning capacity, if you cannot work in the same role after the accident; and
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death damages, where applicable
Texas Car Accident Laws You Need To Know
There are a few laws, unique to the state of Texas, that you need to be aware of after an accident involving an automobile. These statutes will directly impact the compensation possible in your case.
Texas Is A Modified Comparative Negligence State.
Under Texas state law, fault can be shared between several parties. If you share some of the responsibility for causing your accident, you are only eligible for reduced compensation. However, as long as the other driver was more at fault than you, you can recover partial damages.
The Statute of Limitations Is Two Years.
In Texas, the statute of limitations gives you two years to file a lawsuit after a car accident. While this does not directly apply to an insurance claim, we have found that insurers are more likely to agree to a settlement if the statute of limitations has not yet expired in a case. If you wait longer than two years to take legal action, you might not be able to recover any money for your losses.
Our attorneys understand how these, and other laws, will impact your case. We can handle the legal process for you while you focus on recovering your health and well-being.
When You Should Hire A Cypress Car Accident Attorney
Any time you suffer damages in an accident, speaking to a lawyer is a good idea. However, there are some complex situations where having legal representation can help ensure that your legal rights remain protected.
You Suffered Severe Injuries.
Often, victims of catastrophic car accidents do not realize how much their injuries will cost them long-term. Victims of permanent injuries, such as a traumatic brain injury, will likely face medical costs for the rest of their lives. A lawyer can help you fight for fair compensation for your current and future medical costs.
The Accident Involved Multiple Vehicles.
When multiple vehicles are involved in a wreck, the cost of the damages can easily exceed each party’s insurance coverage. In this type of case, a lawyer can try to help you negotiate for fair compensation.
The Liable Party Refuses To Pay or Disputes Liability
When the at-fault driver or their insurance company will not assume liability, hiring an accident attorney can help you build your case and provide the proof of fault needed to hold the liable party responsible. If the insurance company wrongfully denies your claim or refuses to work with you, an attorney can protect your rights by filing a lawsuit in court.
The Accident Resulted in a Family Member’s Demise.
A fatal car accident can require a specialized investigation and additional evidence collection. Hiring an attorney can ensure your family requests wrongful death damages and files their request for damages within the allotted time.
What To Do If You Were In A Single-Vehicle Car Accident
Being in a single-car auto accident does not automatically mean you are at fault. While this is a harder case to prove, there are ways that someone else could have been responsible for your crash. If any of these situations were at play, you might have a case:
- Views of stop signs, streetlights, intersections, or driveways were obstructed so you could not see them ahead while driving;
- The city did not address dangerous defects in the road, like potholes or standing water, and you lost control of your vehicle; or
- Other drivers contributed to the accident without making contact and fled the scene before police arrived.
Why You Should Hire a Cypress Car Accident Attorney
Building a car accident case is complex—particularly if you do not have legal guidance and support. When you trust your car accident case to us, we take the following steps on your behalf:
- Conduct a comprehensive investigation
- Assess the financial value of your case
- Prove the at-fault driver’s negligence
- Compile supporting evidence and documents
- Locate and interview accident witnesses
- Canvass for photos and video footage
We will also the negotiation process for you by fielding all offers, reviewing their merits, and fighting for the best possible outcome for you.
See Why Other Car Accident Victims Trusted Our Law Firm
Clients we have effectively represented in the past say the following about working with our client-focused law firm and staff:
- Luz McMullen: “Great experience and good customer service from the D. Miller & Associates, PLLC team. They answered every single question I had over my car accident. I am happy with my settlement, and I would recommend D. Miller & Associates, PLLC to everyone.”
- Amber Wright: “D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has done everything possible to help me and my family after my car accident…If you’re ever looking for someone that will put up a good fight when you can’t these are the people who look to.”
Our client testimonials and reviews can help you understand how committed our law firm is to helping car accident victims get the compensation they deserve.
Discuss Your Case With A Car Accident Lawyer In Cypress, Texas.
Let the car accident attorneys at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™, take on the task of navigating state laws and negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf. Call us now at 713-850-8600 to start building your case.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What is ‘Loss of Future Earning Capacity’ & How Does it Apply to Injury Cases?
- Do You Have A Motorcycle Injury Case If A Pothole Caused Your Accident in Texas?
- What Is the Average Settlement for a Slip and Fall?
- What Types of Injury Cases Fall Under Premises Liability Law In Texas?
- How Can D. Miller & Associates, PLLC Help Me With My UCLA Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?