Catastrophic injuries can dramatically alter the lives of those they impact. This class of injury is severe, often requiring long recovery times, significant medical expenses, and, in some cases, permanent disability.
If you believe that the negligence of another party caused your catastrophic injury, you could have grounds for legal action. A Denton catastrophic injury lawyer from our firm can advise you on your next steps, and act as your legal representative.
Types of Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries are a broad category. Generally, this group includes severe, debilitating, or life-threatening injuries. Some catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal column damage
- Damaged internal organs
These conditions can exact both a financial and emotional toll on those they affect. Victims may be forced to expend their life savings to cover their medical costs without securing a financial recovery.
Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries can occur in a range of accident types. Our team is proud to represent those dealing with the aftermath of:
- Automotive accidents, including semi-truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, and pedestrian accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Malfunctioning or unsafe products
- And more
This is not an exhaustive list of accidents that could cause catastrophic injury. Generally, to be eligible for an insurance claim or lawsuit after a catastrophic injury, you must demonstrate that the negligence of another party caused your damages.
A catastrophic injury lawyer serving Denton can advise you on case eligibility. We are prepared to fight for your financial recovery if you have a claim.
Damages Available to Catastrophic Injury Victims
Catastrophic injury cases fall within the purview of personal injury law. A personal injury lawyer from our firm can pursue these damages during a catastrophic injury case:
- Medical treatment costs
- Lost wages and a reduction in earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Other expenses associated with the treatment of your injuries
Catastrophic Injuries Involving Wrongful Death
Unfortunately, some catastrophic injuries can lead to death. Our lawyers can assist you if you are faced with losing a loved one and believe that another party was responsible. These damages are available to those seeking a wrongful death insurance claim or lawsuit:
- Funeral expenses
- Burial costs
- The emotional trauma of losing a close personal relationship
Should I Hire a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer?
A catastrophic injury can change the trajectory of your life. What was once easy, like going to the grocery store, may now be difficult. Readjusting to life after a catastrophic injury is challenging and can be further complicated by legal proceedings.
Our lawyers serving Denton are here to shoulder some of this burden. Our legal services put our clients first. We can:
- Provide you with a unique 24/7 helpline
- Answer any questions that you have
- Provide you with a free case evaluation
- Help you schedule doctor’s appointments
These services are only part of the legal suite we provide, though. Our primary goal is to make sure you obtain a financial recovery. We can employ a multi-faceted approach to securing the recovery to which you are entitled.
Investigating Your Case
Most catastrophic injury cases necessitate an investigation. Our team can evaluate the facts of your accident to better understand the damages you have suffered. Evidence in a catastrophic injury case may include:
- Footage of the accident
- Images of the accident scene
- Eyewitness statements
- Medical records, which can be used to demonstrate the extent of your injuries
- Expert testimonials
Liable parties vary considerably in catastrophic injury cases. They can include:
- Other drivers on the road
- Trucking companies
- Property managers
The liable party in your case will depend on the type of accident you suffered. What is important, though, is that you can prove that your catastrophic injuries were caused by someone else’s negligence. If you cannot prove that you suffered because of another party’s negligence, it is unlikely that you will receive a financial recovery.
A Denton catastrophic injury lawyer from our firm can assist you with this part of the process. We will work to establish the four elements of negligence, which include:
- Duty of care: A duty of care is a legal responsibility to keep others from harm. Drivers, truckers, doctors, and a range of other parties have this duty. In many catastrophic injury cases, it is a given that the at-fault party owed you a duty of care.
- Breach of duty: Breaches of duty are less apparent. These include instances of negligence. If your case involved an automotive accident, speeding, drunk driving, or aggressive driving could all qualify as a breach of duty.
- Causation: It is not enough to simply show that the at-fault party behaved negligently. You or your lawyer must employ evidence linking their negligence to your accident.
- Damages: Damages, like medical expenses, or lost wages, are not a given in catastrophic injury cases. We can review your medical invoices or other case expenses to show that you suffered due to your accident.
Insurances negotiations are often the trickiest part of a catastrophic injury case. Many of these cases involve insurance claims, subject to the whims of the at-fault party’s insurer. Their insurer may try to reduce the value of your claim by using one of the following tactics:
- Request that you provide a recorded statement, and use your information against you
- Offer you an unfair settlement
- Gather evidence that suggests that you were somehow responsible for your accident
We can help protect you from unfair insurance tactics. We are familiar with the insurance negotiation process and know what to expect. While we speak with insurers, you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
Hire a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
We care deeply about those we represent. We want to make your road to recovery as straightforward as possible. Our lawyers can provide you with a free, no-obligation case evaluation today. Call our offices to get started.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Is Comparative Fault & How does It Work?
- Am I Allowed To Sue if I Was a Passenger in a Car Accident in Texas?
- Who Is the Best Personal Injury Lawyer in Houston, TX?
- How Do Bicycle Laws Affect Personal Injury Cases in Texas?
- Do You Have to File a Lawsuit to Recover Damages From an Auto Accident in Texas?