Hempstead, Texas, sits at the junction of two freeways. These roadways provide access to several urban centers, including Austin, and Houston. They’re also shipping avenues for truckers.
When truckers cause accidents on a freeway or interstate, the consequences can be severe. Roughly one tenth of fatal roadway accidents in 2020 involved a large truck. In these accidents, the occupants of passenger vehicles are much more likely to get injured than truck drivers. If you were the victim of truck accident, you deserve legal representation. Our Hempstead truck accident lawyers can evaluate your case.
Do I Need to Hire a Lawyer After a Truck Accident?
The state of Texas usually allows plaintiffs to appear “pro se”. Pro se translates to “in one’s own behalf” in Latin. Put simply, this means that you can typically file a lawsuit without a lawyer.
However, the local Clerk’s Office, and other state employees assigned to your case are not allowed to provide you with legal advice. If you file a case pro se, you’re flying blind.
Our Hempstead truck accident lawyers can support you. We’ll explain the complicated legal specifics of your case, among other services:
- Evaluate the damages associated with your case
- Negotiate with insurers
- Communicate with any parties involved in your case
- Use evidence to identify potential liable parties
- File your insurance claim
Texas state law requires trucking companies to carry insurance. However, insurance negotiations don’t always work out. If our team can’t reach an acceptable settlement, we’re prepared to take your case to court. We’ll happily guide you through this process if needed.
Why Choose D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™?
Our firm was founded in 2002 by attorney Darren A. Miller. Darren cares deeply about the communities in and around Houston, Texas. He’s a determined attorney, willing to exhaust every option in pursuit of justice.
When you work with D Miller & Associates, PLLC™, you’ll receive more than just legal support:
- We prioritize convenience: We’ll meet you at a convenient location of your choosing to discuss your case, whether that’s on a phone call, at our offices, or in your home. We can provide straightforward explanations of complicated legal terms.
- We can provide medical support: We can schedule your medical appointments regardless of if you have insurance or not.
- We evaluate legal cases for free: Initial contact with our team won’t cost you anything. We’re committed to providing accessible legal counsel.
We represent a range of truck accident case types. Past cases have involved:
- Box trucks
- Moving vehicles
- Construction vehicles
- And more
Managing a truck accident case is hard work. Our team can shoulder this burden so you can focus on what really matters, like healing from your injuries, or supporting your family.
We’ve supported past clients through a wide range of legal cases. This is what they’ve said about their experiences with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™:
- “I have been represented by D. Miller & Associates, PLLC for almost a year and I have nothing but positive things to say. The people there are always friendly and do their best to answer any questions to the best of their ability. I would strongly recommend this firm for any of your personal injury or any other claims you may have.” – Wayne P.
- “Very attentive and helpful law firm. Quick to answer your questions and explain tough legal language and made a negative time of my life have a positive outcome and brighter future.” – Daniel L.
What Are Damages in a Truck Accident Case?
Damages are a form of financial recovery that can reimburse you after a truck accident. If another party was responsible for your truck accident, these are the types of damages you could pursue:
- Medical costs associated with your case
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity
- Loss of a close relationship, be it a spouse or child
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
How Much Will I Receive in Damages?
There’s no straightforward answer to this question. Damages vary depending on the context of a truck accident case. Generally, though, the severity of your injuries will correlate with the amount of damages you could receive.
For example, these are few types of injuries that can occur after a truck accident:
- Shattered ribs or other broken bones
- Spinal column injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Internal bleeding
Our Hempstead truck accident lawyers can help you understand the specifics of your case. We’ll assist you as you work towards a financial recovery.
Who Are the Liable Parties in a Truck Accident Case?
Truck accident cases hinge on liability. If there’s no liable party, you can’t make a financial recovery.
Our truck accident lawyers will review your case’s evidence. This evidence may include:
- A truck’s on-board crash recording software
- Statements from witnesses
- Police crash reports
- Analyses from crash reconstruction specialists
- Video footage or images of the crash scene
We can use this evidence to establish a potentially liable party. This process involves linking a party’s negligence to your accident and your subsequent injuries. We’ll work to prove that:
- Truck drivers, trucking companies, and truck manufacturers are responsible for keeping other drivers on the roadway safe. This responsibility is called a duty of care.
- In your accident, the liable party didn’t uphold this duty of care by behaving negligently.
- This failure and negligent behavior ultimately led to your accident
- You suffered severe injuries because of the accident
As just noted, these are some common liable parties in a truck accident case:
A Trucking Company
Trucking companies can sometimes be held liable for the actions of their employees. They have a responsibility to ensure that their business practices are safe. They could be liable if they fail to do any of the following:
- Properly vet their drivers
- Provide their drivers with adequate training
- Regularly service and maintain their fleet
- Use properly functioning vehicles
A Truck Driver
Truck drivers are like any other driver on the roadway; they must adhere to local laws and regulations. Failing to do so is considered negligence, which could suggest liability.
These are some common forms of roadway negligence:
- Drunk driving
- Following vehicles without giving them enough room
- Drunk or otherwise inebriated driving
- Preforming illegal driving maneuvers
A Truck Manufacturer
Truck manufacturers are responsible for the vehicles that they poduce. Faulty or defective trucks can cause accidents. We can determine if a faulty vehicle was involved in your accident.
Receive a Free Truck Accident Case Evaluation Today
Our firm can provide compassionate legal aid to the residents of Hempstead. We know that you’re going through a difficult time and want to help.
We’ll evaluate your case and explain your options to you free of charge. This initial contact comes with zero obligations. If you don’t think we’re the right fit, you won’t need to hire us. Call our offices to get started.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Should You Ever Accept the Insurance Company’s First Offer After an Accident?
- What Are Damages and Why Do Personal Injury Lawyers Fight to Recover Them?
- If I Make an Uninsured Motorist Claim, Will My Insurance Rates Go Up?
- What Will It Cost Me To Hire An Attorney In A Truck Accident Case?
- How Do You Prove a Property Owner Was Negligent in a Premises Liability Case?