If you have lost a loved one in a car accident, please accept our condolences. D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ is here to help you and other surviving family members through this dark time with our compassionate legal care.
A wrongful death lawyer in Houston from our firm can help you pursue financial recovery after your loved one’s fatal car accident. The recoverable damages in this type of case may include medical bills, final expenses, lost income, and other losses.
We Can Help You Pursue Damages from Those Responsible for Your Loss
It is hard enough to say goodbye to a loved one and to experience the loss of their affection, protection, or support. It can be even more wrenching when he or she passed away in a car accident that was caused by someone else’s recklessness or negligence.
A fatal car accident lawyer from our firm can help you and your family members understand your legal rights and pursue damages.
The following types of recoverable damages may be available to you in a wrongful death case:
- Medical bills for your loved one’s injuries
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of income and other financial benefits caused by your loved one’s untimely demise
- Loss of companionship or guidance
- Pain and suffering
- Other types of non-economic damages
A lawyer from our firm can identify all of your potentially recoverable damages.
When to Call Our Law Firm
The first few weeks after a loved one is lost in a car accident can feel excruciating. It may be a while before you realize the economic loss from your loved one’s passing or feel prepared to begin the legal process.
However, you do not need to start this process alone. A lawyer in Houston from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can take over all of the legal work in your case while you focus on your family. We can begin working for you immediately after your loved one’s death.
We Can Help if You Are Contacted by the Insurance Company
Depending on the circumstances of your loved one’s fatal car accident, you could receive an offer from the other party’s insurance company. This is a tactic that some insurance companies use to get ahead of any potential legal action.
We strongly suggest that you consult with our firm before you make any commitment or accept any offer from the insurance company, because:
- Insurance companies may make you a lowball offer that is inadequate for your economic and emotional damages.
- Most settlement offers are final, so if you accept a low offer, you may not be able to recover additional damages from the same party in the future.
- Insurance companies may be able to use statements you give them to reduce or deny your claim.
- You might not be fully informed of your legal rights under state law.
A fatal car accident lawyer in Houston from our firm can serve as your legal advocate and manage all communications and negotiations with the insurance companies on your behalf.
The Deadline to Sue in Texas
You should know that Texas law has a two-year statute of limitations for wrongful death lawsuits. If you miss this filing deadline, you may lose your right to sue.
We Can Obtain Evidence to Build a Case for Wrongful Death
A lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can secure the evidence necessary to build your insurance claim or wrongful death lawsuit.
Some of the evidence that our team of lawyers and investigators can obtain may include:
- Accident or police reports
- Witness statements
- Digital or onboard information
- Accident reconstruction
- Injury reports and medical records
- Pictures or videos of the accident site
- Drug or alcohol test results of the other driver
It is not unseemly to seek damages from the party responsible for your emotional and financial losses. Our lawyers have tremendous resources of staff and knowledge to help you with your case.
Who May Pursue Wrongful Death Damages?
Typically, the following family members may seek damages for a loved one’s demise in a fatal accident in Texas:
- Spouse or legal life partner
- Biological or legally adopted children
Our firm understands Texas’ wrongful death statutes and can explain your eligibility to sue during your free case evaluation.
Factors that May Influence Recoverable Damages
Since 2002, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ have recovered significant damages through settlements and judgments for our clients and their loved ones.
Each case is different, and determining damages from a fatal car accident can be complicated. The following factors may influence the type and amount of recoverable damages available in your case:
- Your loved one’s age
- Your loved one’s income and earning potential
- Whether your loved one contributed in a minor role to the accident
A fatal car accident lawyer from our firm can collect evidence of the full extent of the responsible party’s liability for your loved one’s accident.
Put Your Mind at Ease with a Free Case Evaluation
It is never easy to discuss the circumstances of a loved one’s passing. Our entire team can help you through this situation with compassionate, responsive legal care.
If a reckless driver took the life of your loved one, call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ today at (713) 850-8600. A member of our team is standing by to provide you with a free case evaluation. We can discuss your legal options and give you more information about how a fatal car accident lawyer in Houston can support you.
The sooner you call, the sooner we can start working on your case.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- How does Insurance Work in a Multi-Car Accident?
- Who Do You Sue If Your Car Accident Was Caused By A Tire Blowout in Texas?
- Does the At-Fault Party’s Insurance Pay Your Car Accident Damages in Texas?
- What Are Damages and Why Do Personal Injury Lawyers Fight to Recover Them?
- If I Have Been Injured In A Truck Accident Can I Sue The Trucking Company?