Discrimination Lawsuit Lawyer
If you feel that you have been a victim of discrimination in the workplace you need to consult an experienced discrimination lawsuit lawyer. Discrimination occurs when the employer makes a decision at any time during the hiring and employment process that violates any of the protected categories instead of on individual merit. A discrimination lawsuit lawyer will help you determine whether or not you have the right to sue.
Laws Prohibiting Discrimination
There are many federal laws protecting citizens against discrimination. Some examples of federal laws include:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII) – It is illegal to discriminate against someone on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex. It is also illegal to retaliate against a person if they complain about discrimination, file a charge of discrimination, or lawsuit.
- The Pregnancy Discrimination Act – Amends Title VII to make it illegal to discriminate against a woman because of pregnancy, childbirth, or medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth.
- The Equal Pay Act of 1963 (EPA) – It is illegal to pay different wages to men and women if they perform equal work in the same workplace.
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) – Protects people who are 40 or older from discrimination because of age.
- Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) – It is illegal to discriminate against a qualified person with a disability in the private sector and in state and local governments.
- Sections 102 and 103 of the Civil Rights Act of 1991 – Amends Title VII and the ADA to permit jury trials and compensatory and punitive damage awards in intentional discrimination cases.
- Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 – It is illegal to discriminate against a qualified person with a disability in the federal government.
- The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA) – It is illegal to discriminate against employees or applicants because of genetic information.
An experienced discrimination lawsuit lawyer at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will guide you through the steps needed to file a discrimination claim with the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) if needed. The discrimination lawsuit lawyer will also advise you on the many ways to prove discrimination in court such as emails, company memos, and statements from witnesses.
Types of discrimination
There are various types of discrimination prohibited by state and federal laws. Some types protected by the EEOC are:
- National origin
- National origin
The law makes it illegal for any employer to discriminate during the hiring process, firing, pay decisions, promotions, approving leave or any other condition of employment. In addition, employers are prohibited from asking about disabilities during the interview process and all information requested at that time should be limited to whatever is essential for determining job qualification. Your discrimination lawsuit lawyer at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will help you to determine whether or not you have been a victim of such discrimination.
You have the right to seek out a discrimination lawsuit lawyer to file a lawsuit if you have suffered discrimination in the workplace. There are many remedies available such as back pay, reinstatement, and promotion. The discrimination lawsuit lawyer at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will discuss your best options and work with you to reach the goals set. There is time limit for when an employee or job seeker can file a discrimination claim. The time limits will vary by state and your discrimination lawsuit lawyer will advise you on whether or not you will be able to obtain a remedy. Fill out the form or call us today for your consultation with an experienced discrimination lawsuit lawyer.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I Need a Lawyer After a Car Accident?
- How Do You Afford a Lifetime of Medical Bills After a Spinal Cord Injury In An Accident?
- What Is the Free Consultation With a Personal Injury Attorney Like?
- How Do You Know If You’ve Been Injured By a Defective Medical Device?
- Will My Health Insurance Cover Me In A Motorcycle Accidents?