Due to the lack of protection a motorcycle provides, a motorcyclist can get seriously hurt in an accident. If you suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident another motorist caused, one of our motorcycle accident lawyers in Houston can fight for your rights and help you get the recovery you deserve.
You can count on our legal team to fight for you after a motorcycle accident. We have helped dozens of accident victims obtain significant settlements for their injuries. We want to put our resources to work for you, working to secure a positive outcome for your case.
To find out more about what we can do for you, you can come to our office, meet our team, have all your questions answered, and receive advice on your claim.
Why Hire One of Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Houston?
Our personal injury team focuses on motorcycle accident law. We have a successful track record of attaining settlements for clients injured in motorcycle accidents. We can put our resources to work for you and help you obtain financial recovery that is fair and robust.
In doing so:
We Will Search for and Compile Evidence
We need to build your side of the story by gathering evidence. Some forms of it may include support from:
- A copy of the police report
- Medical imaging scans of your injuries
- Photos and videos of the accident in motion
- Eyewitness and expert witness accounts
- Medical records
- Cell phone records
Your testimony is important, too. To help bolster your case, we encourage you to keep a pain journal to document your pain levels, mood, daily activities, and mobility restrictions. Be as detailed as possible so the insurance company knows how much the accident and your injuries have impacted your life.
We Can Work with the Insurance Companies on Your Behalf
Too often, accident victims accept the first settlement offer that the insurance company puts in front of them. The temptation to do this can be strong, especially when you are staring down thousands of dollars in medical bills and anticipating more to come.
When you accept an insurance company settlement offer without first speaking with your lawyer with our firm, you invariably leave money on the table. Insurance companies seldom agree to pay you a fair value of your damages without a fight.
Our attorneys will determine a fair scope of financial recovery you deserve before taking over all insurance company negotiations. This will ensure you do not get stuck with an undervalued settlement. If we cannot agree on an amount, we will file a lawsuit.
Given Enough Notice, We Can File a Lawsuit on Time
Even though most cases settle, there are times in which filing a lawsuit is the most appropriate legal route to take. However, the amount of time we have to take this action is restricted.
Texas law generally allows two years for claimants to file both a personal injury and wrongful death lawsuit. Abiding by this timeline is crucial, because if we don’t, you jeopardize the right to pursue financial recovery.
Don’t be Afraid to Ask Any Questions
We do not want you to be left in the dark while we are fighting to recover damages. If you have any questions or concerns about the status of your case—or just the legal system as a whole—we want you to call us.
Even so, you can expect us to frequently update you throughout the case.
How Much Your Claim Could be Worth
The value of your motorcycle accident claim depends on a multitude of factors, including:
- The extent of your injuries
- The circumstances of the accident itself
- Whether you shoulder a portion of the blame
Accordingly, we cannot estimate the value of your claim before we investigate your accident thoroughly. Whatever the value of your claim is, our team will fight to help you get a fair value of your losses.
The damages for which you could be eligible include:
- Current and future medical bills, including your doctor bills, hospital costs, medication co-pays, and physical therapy bills
- Lost wages, or the money you are unable to earn while missing work to recover from your injuries
- Reduced earning capacity, which is the difference between what you are able to earn and what you would be able to earn had your injury not occurred
- Pain and suffering, intended to reimburse you for the physical and emotional pain you have suffered due to your injury
- Punitive damages, which punish the at-fault party or parties if their actions were reckless or malicious
- Wrongful death damages, which could account for your late loved one’s end-of-life expenses for their funeral, burial, and medical needs, in addition to your loss of consortium
We Pursue All Responsible Parties for Financial Recovery
What almost all accidents have in common is negligence. If you can’t prove this vital aspect of your case, the court will declare your case invalid. To prove the other party’s negligence, we must apply the following four elements:
- Duty of care: The other party or parties were obligated to follow all rules of the road and drive according to all traffic conditions.
- Breach of duty: They did not uphold their duty of care and acted irresponsibly (e.g., speeding, driving while fatigued, driving while impaired).
- Causation: They caused an accident and your injuries.
- Damages: You’re now dealing with economic and non-economic damages.
These components can help you identify all the parties responsible for your motorcycle accident injuries. At first, maybe you assume the sole liable party is the driver who hit you. That might be true, but other parties could have contributed to your accident.
These parties could include the following:
Vehicle or Parts Manufacturers
If a defective vehicle component in your motorcycle or the other driver’s vehicle caused or contributed to the accident, we can pursue the manufacturer for damages. We do not even have to prove they were negligent in the manufacturing or sale of the component. Simply showing a defect existed (and it caused your injuries) is enough to file for damages.
If poor road conditions or a malfunctioning traffic control device contributed to your accident, we can go after the party responsible for keeping the roadway safe. This party is usually a local government entity.
Some Statistics on Motorcycle Accidents
Though fun and exciting, motorcycling is irrefutably dangerous. Recent statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) indicate that it is becoming an increasingly hazardous hobby.
In 2015, the NHTSA tallied nearly 5,000 fatalities from motorcycle accidents in the United States. This number rose from just under 4,600 deaths in 2014—an increase of 8 percent in a single year. In the same year, motorcyclists accounted for 14 percent of all traffic fatalities. Roughly 88,000 riders suffered injuries in accidents.
By taking safety precautions—wearing a helmet, obeying all traffic laws, and taking a motorcycle safety course before getting on a bike—you can stay as safe as possible. You cannot, however, completely eliminate the risk of injury. This fact underscores the importance of having a motorcycle accident lawyer to call if the worst happens and you find yourself injured in an accident.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®, for Motorcycle Accident Help in Houston
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®, our team wants to help you obtain appropriate financial recovery for your motorcycle accident injuries. Call us today at (713) 850-8600 for a case evaluation with one of our team representatives.
In this call, you will learn about how our motorcycle accident lawyers in Houston can help you fight for the financial recovery you need.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Is the Deadline to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit from an Auto Accident in Texas?
- Are Truck Accident Claims More Difficult Than Car Accident Claims?
- What Are the Main Causes of Car Accidents?
- How does Insurance Work in a Multi-Car Accident?
- What Is the Average Time to Settle a Personal Injury Case in Texas?