A slip and fall accident can turn your life upside down in a matter of seconds. That’s where our law firm comes in. D. Miller & Associates PLLC® provides comprehensive legal services if you want help recovering the cost of your medical bills, lost income, and other expenses.
Our team’s slip and fall lawyer in Houston can evaluate your situation and explain your legal rights. We’re ready to file an insurance claim or lawsuit to recover what you deserve.
We Offer Free Case Reviews to Slip and Fall Injury Claimants
If you have any questions about partnering with our legal team, we encourage you to take advantage of a free case review. Here, we offer prospective clients insight into their cases at no cost or obligation. Additionally, during our conversation, we can answer these and other questions:
- How much does it cost to hire a lawyer in Houston?
- What results have we achieved in the past?
- How long will it take to settle your case?
- What happens if the insurance company refuses to settle?
How does the Statute of Limitations Affect My Slip and Fall Case?
Texas law gives claimants two years to file their civil lawsuits. In many cases, our firm reaches out-of-court settlements. However, this deadline is crucial for many reasons:
- The courts would dismiss your case if you filed it outside of the two-year window.
- Certain evidence, like security camera recordings, won’t always remain available.
- The longer you wait to file your case, the more reason the insurer has to deny it.
Some circumstances may extend or shorten your filing deadline. Our team can review your case and take action within the appropriate period.
Our Slip and Fall Team in Texas Will Seek These Damages on Your Behalf
There’s no such thing as a “typical” slip and fall case, and these situations vary widely from one to another. So, your accident-related losses may look entirely different than someone else’s injury-related expenses.
Some recoverable damages your lawyer in Houston could pursue in your slip and fall case may comprise:
- Ambulance transportation
- Medical care, including hospitalization and surgical expenses
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy costs
- Lost wages, both now and in the future
- Mobility equipment and assistive devices
- Ongoing care costs
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
You may qualify for other damages than those listed here.
We Must Prove Negligence in Your Slip and Fall Accident Case
To secure a settlement or court award, we must prove that the property owner acted negligently. This involves showing that the property owner knew – or should have known – about a hazard but failed to fix it or warn others.
Some examples of fall hazards include:
- Torn or damaged flooring or carpets
- Rolled or damaged rugs
- Uneven floors without some type of warning
- Steps without proper markings
- Trip hazards, such as items in a walkway
- Spills, including both food and liquids
- Tracked rain, ice, or snow
- Missing or inadequate handrails
- Poor lighting conditions
We Can Determine Liability for Your Slip and Fall-Related Injuries
Under Texas premises liability laws, one or more of the following parties could hold liability for your damages:
- The property owner
- The business or property’s operator
- A company that maintains the property
- The resident who rents or leases a property
All property owners must repair or remove any hazards that threaten other peoples’ safety. For example, if customers track rainwater into a local restaurant, the manager has a responsibility to notice this issue and (at the very least) post a “wet floor” sign.
If you suffered injuries in a fall, we could file an insurance claim. We may also file a lawsuit, depending on your situation.
We Can Prove Liability for Your Accident in Houston
Proving liability requires us to document some elements. We must prove:
- You were an invitee or licensee, meaning you were on the property legally and not trespassing
- The property owner or occupier could make changes or repairs on the premises
- There was a hazard that posed an unreasonable risk of harm
- The property owner knew or should have known about this hazard
- They failed to warn you about or protect you from this hazard
- Their failure led to your fall and the resulting injuries
The type of evidence we need varies from case to case. We may utilize the following:
- Your medical records and imaging scan results
- Eyewitness statements
- Accident reports from the property owner or occupier
- Photographs of the scene
- Video of the fall
- Other documentation to prove the liable party knew about the hazard, such as written reports
We Will Protect You Against Aggressive Insurance Tactics
Filing an insurance claim is harder than it looks. The claims adjuster may still contest your situation, even if you provide the right documentation and abide by all filing deadlines. We protect all of our clients against bad faith insurance practices. We do this by:
- Reviewing the liable policy
- Managing all emails, phone calls, and other communications
- Gathering evidence to prove your claim
- Negotiating a settlement
- Evaluating all possible avenues of recovering damages
- Consulting with field experts (such as healthcare professionals) on your case
Your lawyer will manage everything involved with your insurance claim.
Our Team Will Manage Your Civil Lawsuit
Our trial-ready lawyers will do the following to advance your injury lawsuit:
- Take statements. We will gather statements from field experts and eyewitnesses to attest to your accident. Your attorney can use these statements while building and presenting your case.
- File your case’s paperwork. Your lawsuit is more than courtroom appearances; there’s also a large amount of paperwork involved. Even one error could delay the entire process. Our firm will complete and check these documents for accuracy.
- Continue negotiating a settlement. The insurance company may offer a settlement while your case unfolds in civil court. If so, we can drop the case and resolve it from here.
Our personal injury firm is committed to your case’s success. We may render other services than those listed above.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® for Legal Help
To explore your options with our team, dial (713) 850-8600. A slip and fall accident lawyer from our firm can build your case in Houston today.