Driving in Huntsville means sharing the road with truck drivers, and not every truck driver exercises safe driving practices. If a truck driver caused an accident involving you or a loved one, then you might be entitled to financial recovery. D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can help you fight for compensation for your losses.
A truck accident lawyer serving Huntsville can lead your case from start to finish. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ today at (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
Responsible Parties May Cover Your Losses
The two primary categories of losses from a truck accident are:
- Fatal injuries
You may either be injured, acting on behalf of an injured loved one, or seeking financial recovery after the loss of your loved one. Each of these scenarios may entitle you to recover more specific losses.
Recovery You May Be Entitled To
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the average cost of fatal truck accidents is $3.6 million. The average cost of truck accidents producing non-fatal injuries is $200,000.
If you have lost a loved one, then your losses may include:
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- The cost of your loved one’s funeral
- Your loved one’s medical costs
- The loss of the comfort your loved one provided
- The loss of your loved one’s future income
Your lawyer may be able to help you obtain financial recovery for these losses. Pain and suffering and mental anguish could be a particularly expensive loss in the case of wrongful death.
Other Losses that You May Experience Because of Injury
Being injured in a truck accident may cause significant losses. Every victim of a truck accident in Huntsville could suffer losses that are unique, and a lawyer from our firm will do the job of identifying and valuing your specific losses.
Medical costs may account for a substantial portion of your losses. You may be billed for:
- An ambulance ride to the hospital
- Care provided in an emergency department
- Scans or other imaging services
- Direct care provided by a doctor
- Any prescription medications
You may also require follow-up care for your injuries. A doctor may need to evaluate the ongoing status of your recovery. You may also need to pay for physical and cognitive rehabilitation based on the specifics of your injuries.
Medical care can be costly. A lawyer from our team may be able to help you obtain a financial recovery to help with these costs and more.
You can speak with the team for a truck accident lawyer serving Huntsville to find out if we can handle your lawsuit or insurance claim. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ today at (713) 850-8600 to figure out the next steps in seeking financial recovery.
A Lawyer Will Sort Out Liability for Your Truck Accident
Part of any lawsuit or insurance claim is determining who is responsible for your accident. Note that the person who caused your accident may be liable. However, even parties who did not directly cause your accident could also be liable—especially in commercial truck accident cases.
Your lawyer will determine whether the following types of parties must pay a portion of your losses:
- A trucking company
- A non-trucking company that employed the at-fault truck driver
- An automotive professional who caused a vehicle defect
- A vehicle manufacturer who is responsible for a defect
If road conditions contributed to your accident, then a government entity such as the city of Huntsville may have liability for your losses.
Your Lawyer Will Aim to Show Negligence
One or more defendants may have been negligent. Their negligence may have directly caused or contributed to your accident and therefore make them responsible for your losses.
Your lawyer may prove the negligence of a defendant by:
- Establishing that the defendant owed you a duty of care
- Showing that the defendant violated their duty of care in some way
- Establishing a link between the defendant’s violation of their duty of care and your truck accident
- Showing the losses caused by the defendant’s violation of their duty of care
Negligence is generally not intentional. It can occur if the negligent individual did not act in a way that was reasonable.
How Truck Drivers Can Be Negligent
Out of the potential defendants listed above, a truck driver may be the most likely negligent party in your case, considering that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that drivers are responsible for causing most accidents.
A truck driver can do many things to put others at risk and ultimately cause an accident. If a truck driver caused your accident, then they may have:
- Been speeding
- Been influenced by alcohol or drugs
- Been driving too aggressively for road or weather conditions
- Been distracted
- Failed to stop for a traffic signal
- Been tailgating behind your vehicle
- Made a dangerous lane change or turn
Your lawyer will collect any evidence of a truck driver’s accident-causing behavior. This could be handy during settlement negotiations with an insurance company or other lawyers.
Your lawyer will also take the steps necessary to complete your insurance claim or lawsuit. This may include:
- Filing paperwork
- Gathering evidence
- Documenting your injuries
- Documenting economic and non-economic losses
- Hiring experts
- Completing settlement negotiations
Your lawyer will be prepared to take your case to court if a trial is necessary.
Call the Team for a Truck Accident Lawyer Serving Huntsville
A truck accident lawyer serving Huntsville will strive to obtain the financial recovery that you may be entitled to. They will handle a wrongful death lawsuit, insurance claim, or personal injury lawsuit while you worry about your mental and physical recovery.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ today at (713) 850-8600 to complete your free consultation. Once your consultation is complete, then a lawyer and their team may begin your case.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- How Can D. Miller and Associates, PLLC Help Me With My USC Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?
- How Long Do Slip And Fall Injury Cases Take In Texas?
- What Can You Recover for a Wrongful Death From a Truck Accident in Texas?
- Is It Too Late to Sue USC for the George Tyndall Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?
- What Should You Do If You Were Injured in A Hit and Run Accident in Texas?