If you or a loved one was a victim of sexual abuse in Irving, Texas, you may qualify to take legal action against your abuser or another responsible party.
You do not have to keep staying silent about your case. A sexual abuse lawyer serving Irving from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® can represent you in litigation and be your advocate from beginning to end. We offer free case evaluations to all prospective clients to discuss what legal options are available to them.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for Sexual Abuse and Related Crimes?
In personal injury cases involving sexual abuse, the abuser is not necessarily the only party responsible for damages. Institutions and organizations can be liable for a plaintiff’s damages if the plaintiff can prove the institution’s actions or inactions served as a causal factor in their sexual abuse.
For example, a nursing home may be held responsible for failing to conduct thorough background checks before hiring employees with a history of sexual offenses on their criminal records. If this employee sexually abuses one of the nursing home residents, the facility would be held responsible for negligently endangering its residents.
Institutional Sexual Abuse
Institutional sexual abuse cases can involve the following organizations:
- The plaintiff’s employer
- Businesses and corporations
- Healthcare facilities, such as hospitals
- Nursing homes and assisted living facilities
- Daycares and aftercare programs
- Elementary, middle, and high schools
- Universities and colleges
- Religious institutions, such as the Catholic Church
- Youth organizations, such as the Boy Scouts of America
You do not have to feel intimidated when you hire a sexual abuse attorney from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®. We’ll stand up to major corporations and institutions on your behalf because we’re not afraid to fight for your right to financial recovery.
Sexual Abuse Victims Can Pursue Financial Recovery for Damages in Texas
If you decide to move forward with your case and demand financial awards to recover your past and future damages, there are various losses you may qualify to claim. In sexual abuse cases, plaintiffs could claim the following damages:
- Medical treatment expenses
- Loss of wages
- Emotional distress, such as depression and anxiety
- Psychological disorders, such as eating disorders or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Permanent disability or physical disfigurement
- Out-of-pocket costs, such as costs to travel to medical appointments
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience
- Reduced earning potential
- Diminished quality of life
Your case may involve other damages not listed in this article. For example, if your loved one’s death is related to the injuries or losses they incurred from their sexual abuse, you may qualify to file a wrongful death action on their behalf. You could pursue financial recovery for damages like funeral expenses, loss of consortium, and loss of companionship.
What Information does a Sexual Abuse Lawyer Need to Know to Begin a Case?
When we offer a free case evaluation, we typically ask questions about your case that can give us the beginning framework to begin building it. Some of the information we may ask about can include:
- Your name or the name(s) of the sexual abuse victim(s)
- When the sexual abuse occurred and whether your case involves an isolated incident or several
- The name of your abuser or a related institution involved in your case
- Whether you filed a police report about your sexual abuse/assault
- Whether you have any evidence proving the sexual abuse occurred, such as video footage
It is okay if you do not have all the information listed above. We simply try to gauge where you’re starting your case, so we know where to begin our separate investigation.
How Our Legal Team Can Serve You and Build Your Irving, Texas Case
When you hire a sexual abuse lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® to represent you, we manage your case from start to finish. Our legal team serving Dallas County will perform several legal services to build your case, such as:
- Investigating your sexual abuse case to confirm the information you provided and collect evidence to support those claims
- Preparing legal paperwork required of your case and submit them within legal deadlines
- Handling communications with inquiring parties, such as the defendant’s legal team or insurance company, to protect you from any intimidation tactics or tactics to get you to admit partial fault
- Appearing in negotiation meetings on your behalf to work out a potential settlement deal
- Petitioning for your right to financial recovery in front of a judge and jury
- Providing legal counsel to you throughout litigation
Our team will also be available for contact throughout your case. You are free to call our firm or attend one of our Facebook live sessions to ask us questions, and we’ll answer you right away.
Is There a Statute of Limitations on Sexual Abuse Cases in Texas?
Yes. Per the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.0045, the following statutory deadlines exist for plaintiffs wishing to file sexual abuse cases in Texas:
- If you suffered the sexual abuse as an adult (18 years of age and older), then you have five years from the date of the sexual assault to file your case.
- If you suffered sexual abuse as a child (younger than 18 years of age), then you have up to 30 years since the sexual abuse occurred to file your case.
Other exceptions may toll the statutory deadline for your case. Our legal team will confirm your case’s filing deadline, then take appropriate steps to ensure your case remains legitimate in court.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® Now to Get a Free Case Evaluation
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®, we advocate for sexual abuse victims because we want them to see the appropriate parties held accountable for their negligence and wrongdoing. If you or a loved one suffered sexual abuse in Irving, Texas, whether as an adult or a child, we want to represent your case. You can hire a sexual abuse lawyer serving Irving from our team, and we’ll guide you in litigation.
To learn more about our legal services, call the number on our website. You’ll receive a free case evaluation with one of our team members at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®. Start your journey toward financial recovery today.