Per 34 U.S. Code § 10284, a catastrophic injury permanently prevents someone from working. These injuries can have severe, long-term consequences for your health, career, and family.
A catastrophic injury lawyer serving Katy from our firm knows how much you may benefit from legal guidance. We provide free case evaluations to help you better understand your rights and what we can do for you.
Our Catastrophic Injury Lawyers Serving Katy Can Fight by Your Side
After suffering a personal injury, you have a lot on your mind, including making doctor’s appointments, taking time off work, and arranging for other people to take care of you or manage your usual responsibilities.
One thing you should not have to think about is filing an insurance claim or lawsuit on your own. D. Miller & Associates, PLLCᴿ can take that burden off your shoulders and:
Put Your Needs First
The legal process can be overwhelming, especially to an injured party with no prior legal experience. We want to do everything possible to guide you through it, including:
- Explaining what options are available based on your specific circumstances
- Giving you your attorney’s phone number
- Hosting Facebook livestreams to answer your questions quickly and efficiently
- Providing advice and answers whenever you need them
- Working with you to provide the services that will help you most
Investigate What Happened
You may or may not have a clear recollection of how your accident happened—and either way, you might not know the whole story. This is why we conduct an investigation into every accident by:
- Interviewing you, eyewitnesses, experts, and other involved parties
- Requesting documents from your doctor, the police, and any other source that might be helpful
- Exchanging evidence with the liable party’s representatives
- Visiting the accident scene
- Using all of the data we collect to determine who is liable and what the best way is to pursue a financial recovery
Negotiate for Recovery
Instead of confronting the liable party’s insurance company on your own, you can let a catastrophic injury lawyer serving Katy from our team talk to them for you. We can seek proper recovery after an accident by:
- Meeting with the insurance company’s representatives
- Working hard to convince the insurer of your need for recovery
- Hitting back against the insurer’s attempts to blame you for the accident or downplay your injuries
- Negotiating for a settlement agreement that meets your needs
If negotiations do not work or are not an option for any reason, we can instead seek a jury award. This would require us to go to court and present your case before a judge and jury. This does not happen often, but when it does, we continue to manage everything for our clients, including:
- Submission of evidence and legal paperwork
- Presentation of arguments
- Questioning of witnesses
Why You May Deserve Catastrophic Injury Damages
If you would like our help to pursue a financial recovery after an accident, we would be happy to provide it. We can also help if your family member was severely injured or passed away after an accident and cannot file a lawsuit on their own.
You can seek damages for almost any loss or injury that you can connect with the accident. For instance, we commonly seek recovery for:
- Medical expenses: Any professional medical treatment you have already received or expect to need in the future may entitle you to damages.
- Loss of wages and reduced earning capacity: Your catastrophic injuries have prevented you from working, depriving your family of the income they need to stay afloat.
- Reduced quality of life: You have had to make radical changes to your lifestyle, such as giving up certain activities or getting someone else to take care of you or your children.
- Pain and suffering: Physical and emotional pain inevitably results from catastrophic injuries. Such pain can take a huge toll on your health, so you have the right to seek damages for it.
- Disability: Catastrophic injuries result in permanent physical and/or intellectual disabilities that affect how you live and interact with others.
If you are filing a wrongful death suit on a loved one’s behalf, you may qualify for the above damages, as well as things like funeral expenses, loss of financial support, and loss of companionship.
When to Sue for a Catastrophic Injury in Katy
If you know or even suspect that negligence played a factor in your accident, it is a good idea to tell us about it right away. Texas law generally gives you two years to pursue financial recovery from the party or parties that caused your accident. This legal limit applies to cases involving:
- Car, bus, boat, truck, and motorcycle accidents
- Premises liability
- Defective products
- Dangerous medications
- Dog bites
- Other personal injury situations
The laws governing your lawsuit may vary depending on how your injury occurred. For instance, if you are suing over an instance of medical malpractice, you still have two years to file, but the Texas law that applies to your case is different.
There are very few exceptions to these time limits. For example, if you suffered medical malpractice and did not know about it right away, you may be given more time to file a suit. Otherwise, missing the deadline means sacrificing your right to recovery.
Get Help After a Catastrophic Injury in Katy
Since 2002, D. Miller & Associates, PLLCᴿ has been helping clients in Katy, Texas and throughout the state fight for fair financial recoveries. If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury, you have already suffered enough. Call today to find out how one of our catastrophic injury lawyers serving Katy can protect your rights and help you pursue damages.