Something as simple as a Sunday stroll can change your life in an instant. One minute, you are crossing an intersection you have navigated hundreds of times. The next, medical personnel are surrounding you as you writhe in pain, the result of a careless driver paying more attention to their phone than to the color of the traffic signal.
In the days and weeks that follow, you will learn the full scope of your injuries and your prognosis for healing. If there is one thing you already know, it is that you have a long road to recovery, complete with sky-high medical bills, missed work, and lots of stress.
If the negligent actions of another person caused your pedestrian accident, they should bear the financial burden that accompanies a serious injury. A pedestrian accident lawyer in Katy can hold both the responsible party and their insurance company responsible, making sure you receive a settlement that is fair, comprehensive, and covers both your economic and non-economic damages.
In our many years in business, the personal injury attorneys at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, have been fighting for the rights of pedestrian accident victims after careless motorists upended their lives. We take on the insurance company and prevent it from denying your claim or paying you less than you deserve.
We offer free consultations and case reviews, where we can evaluate your accident, identify the responsible parties, and determine your legal options for compensation. To schedule an appointment today, call 713-850-8600.
How Dangerous Are Pedestrian Accidents?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently revealed some upsetting statistics on pedestrian safety. The numbers indicate that roads are getting more dangerous for walkers and joggers.
Pedestrian fatalities rose from 4,884 to 5,376 between 2014 and 2015. While certain precautionary measures can minimize your chances of becoming a victim, no pedestrian is ever immune to the risk of serious injury. Given the severe damage a vehicle can cause, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and death are common results of a pedestrian accident.
Why Hire a Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Katy, TX?
The costs of treating your pedestrian accident injuries can be substantial, as bills from the hospital, surgeon, and your regular physician accumulate quickly. This can make it tempting to accept the first settlement offer the insurance company presents to you.
If you accept an initial offer without speaking to an attorney first, however, you risk leaving lots of money on the table. This is money that should rightfully be yours. One of our pedestrian accident lawyers can stand up against the insurance company and keep it from using your financial distress as a way to compel you to accept a subpar settlement.
The attorneys at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, will build a strong, evidence-backed claim on your behalf. Our goal is to collect compelling evidence that clearly makes our case to the insurance company for full compensation. To back up our claim, we gather the following evidence:
- Police reports;
- Witness statements;
- Photo and video surveillance;
- Expert witness testimony;
- Testimony from accident reconstruction specialists;
- Your medical records; and
- Any other documentation related to your accident.
Our team knows how to take on the insurance company. We can put our resources to work on your claim. Schedule a free case review today so we can get started.
How Much Is My Pedestrian Accident Claim Worth?
At your free case review, we can discuss the various circumstances of your accident that influence the value of your claim. Without this information, we cannot offer a realistic estimate of how much compensation you might be eligible to receive.
What we can tell you is that most pedestrian accident settlements involve a combination of economic damages—which are losses quantifiable in dollar terms—and non-economic damages—which include losses with intangible values.
Examples of economic damages include:
- Medical bills, including the costs of your hospital stays, surgeries, prescriptions, doctor visits, and medical devices;
- Lost earnings, which include the total income you forfeited while missing work due to your injuries; and
- Reduced earning capacity, which compensates you for the money you are no longer able to earn because your injury took away your ability to perform the same work as before.
Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering, which is compensation for the physical ailments you are dealing with as a result of your accident;
- Loss of consortium, which compensates your loved ones for the loss of your companionship, support, and services;
- Punitive damages, which punish the defendant if they were not merely negligent in their actions, but were acting recklessly or maliciously; and
- Wrongful death, or compensation in the event that your loved one lost his or her life in a pedestrian accident as a result of someone else’s negligent behavior.
Does It Matter How My Pedestrian Accident Occurred?
Our legal team has helped pedestrians injured in a wide array of accidents. No matter the circumstances of yours, we can protect your rights and help you receive full compensation.
We have fought for and won settlements for clients who suffered injuries in the following common scenarios.
Failure to Yield
This happens when you, the pedestrian, have the right of way, but a motor vehicle proceeds into the roadway and strikes you. This is a common occurrence at crosswalks and intersections.
Speeding in School Zones
In school zones, lower speed limits take effect during pick-up and drop-off times due to large numbers of pedestrians, many of which are young children. Exceeding the posted speed limit in a school zone constitutes negligent behavior.
Parking Lot Accidents
Parking lots are havens of congestion and confusion. A lack of signage and defined speed limits can make them especially dangerous for pedestrians.
Sometimes, public transportation vehicles, such as city buses or trolleys, are the culprit in a pedestrian accident. Pedestrians are particularly at risk of injury when they are exiting a public transit vehicle or waiting to board.
Call 713-850-8600 to Schedule Your Free Case Review Today.
The attorneys at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, want to protect your rights, take on the insurance company, and help you get the compensation you deserve after a pedestrian accident. Call 713-850-8600 today to schedule a free consultation.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Are There Any Downsides To Having The Texas Minimum For Auto Insurance In An Accident?
- What Is the Deadline to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit from an Auto Accident in Texas?
- Can You Seek Compensation If Your Accident Was Caused By a Tire Blowout?
- Harlingen Tractor Trailer Accident Lawyer
- Should You Ever Accept the Insurance Company’s First Offer After an Accident?