According to the Texas Department of Transportation, Webb County had 113 drunk driving accidents in 2021. Not only were these accidents avoidable, but the resulting medical and repair bills and lost income caused by an intoxicated driver’s reckless and irresponsible choice to get behind the wheel placed a heavy burden on the victims.
Did you sustain severe injuries or lose a family member in a drunk driving accident? If so, you could recover damages for medical bills, lost income, property damage, and pain and suffering. You can seek damages alone, but you might benefit from working with a personal injury lawyer with experience handling cases like yours. A drunk driving accident and injury lawyer serving Laredo with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®, can help you seek a recovery for your damages.
A Lawyer Can Advocate for You After a Drunk Driving Accident
Our lawyer will walk you through the process of seeking damages from the drunk driver and their insurance provider. In addition, we’ll advise you on your legal options and recommend the best path to success. Throughout this process, we will stay in constant contact and alert you to all developments. Here are some ways we can help:
- Evaluate your case: Our lawyers offer free case evaluations during which you describe what happened to you. Then, we will give you an honest assessment of your case without obligation to work with us. If you feel comfortable with our team after the meeting, we could represent you and advocate for your best interests with the other driver’s insurance company and in court.
- Investigate the drunk driving accident: We begin investigating the collision as soon as you choose us to represent you. We will gather toxicology and police reports, interview eyewitnesses, take pictures of the scene, and collect other evidence to establish the drunk driver’s responsibility for the accident.
- File your insurance claim: We will file an insurance claim on your behalf. We will also collect and submit supporting documents such as your medical bills and records, property damage repair receipts, and proof of lost income.
- Communicate with the insurance company: We will take over all communication—both written and verbal—with your insurance company and the drunk driver’s insurer.
- Negotiate a settlement: We will negotiate an out-of-court settlement with the drunk driver’s insurance company that adress the losses you’ve experienced due to the accident.
- File a lawsuit: Sometimes, negotiations fail to produce a settlement that provides you with the recovery you deserve. If that happens, we will seek financial recovery by filing a lawsuit against the drunk driver and any other liable parties and representing you in court.
How Much Is My Drunk Driving Accident and Injury Case Worth?
No two cases are alike, so no two cases have the same value. Our lawyers serving Laredo will consider the extent of your property damage, the cost of your medical treatment, and your time out of work when determining how much your drunk driving accident case is worth. In addition, we’ll look at the severity of your injuries, how they affect your ability to work, and how they affect your personal life.
You may be able to recover the following economic damages:
- Medical expenses such as ambulance bills, emergency treatment, prescription medications, diagnostic imaging, surgeries, follow-up appointments, wound care, rehabilitative therapies, and more.
- Ongoing medical expenses for future surgeries and other treatments or ongoing care, such as home care and assistance with activities of daily living.
- Medical equipment such as wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, canes, braces, hospital beds, and other supplies.
- Loss of income including salary, wages, freelance opportunities, and tips.
- Property damage if you must repair or replace your vehicle.
In addition, we can seek financial recovery for your intangible losses such as pain and suffering, disability, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Wrongful Death Damages Following a Drunk Driving Collision
No amount of money will ever replace your loved one who passed away. However, seeking damages will allow you to hold the at-fault driver accountable for their negligent behavior.
If you lost a family member in a drunk driving accident, you could recover these wrongful death damages:
- Loss of financial support that the deceased family member would have provided
- Loss of inheritance that surviving family members could reasonably expect
- Loss of support such as household maintenance, services, and chores
- Loss of family care, support, advice, and counsel surviving family members could reasonably expect
- Loss of love, comfort, companionship, and society
- Mental pain and anguish experienced by surviving family members
Time Limits in a Drunk Driving Accident Case in Laredo
If you file a lawsuit against the drunk driver or other responsible parties, you must do so before the Texas statute of limitations runs out. Unfortunately, if you wait too long, you forfeit your right to sue—even if you have a solid case. These statutes may apply to your case:
- Personal injury: Under Texas law, you have two years from the accident date to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver or other liable parties.
- Wrongful death: Texas law gives you two years from the date your loved one passed away, which may be different from the date of the accident, to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Our lawyer will review your case details to figure out a timeline of events and determine how the statutes of limitations apply to your case. Then, we will ensure you meet all legal deadlines and file your lawsuit before time runs out.
Contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® for Legal Help in Laredo
Our lawyer serving Laredo is ready to help you seek damages from the drunk driver and other parties responsible for the accident that left you with injuries or cost the life of your family member. Contact the office of D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®, today to learn how we can help you recover damages for pain and suffering, medical expenses, and more. The sooner you call, the sooner we can start working for you.