When your family loses a loved one because of someone else’s negligence, you have to deal with more than emotional trauma. Your sudden loss can also mean your family will experience financial distress. At a time when your family should be comforting each other, you don’t want to deal with legal obligations.
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®, our wrongful death lawyers serving Laredo will handle the details of your case, so you can focus on your grief and loss. We will compile all the documents and evidence you need to file an effective wrongful death insurance claim or lawsuit.
Do Not Wait to Pursue Financial Recovery for Your Family
Our client-focused law firm is always ready to meet your family’s needs. It’s never too early to put us to work. By getting started soon, we can ensure your case complies with all mandated deadlines.
According to Texas law, you generally have two years from the date of your loved one’s passing to file your lawsuit. Many wrongful death cases resolve through insurance settlements––and so could yours. However, we want to keep your options open if litigation is necessary.
Our Wrongful Death Team Serving Laredo Can Pursue These Losses
The negligent party should pay for your damages, including the cost of laying your loved one to rest. In addition to seeking funeral and burial costs, our wrongful death attorneys can pursue:
- Loss of your loved one’s financial contributions
- Loss of your loved one’s contributions to your home
- Mental and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium, guidance, and society
Depending on the cause of your loved one’s passing, your family might also be permitted to recover punitive damages. We can assess your situation and determine whether those damages apply to your situation.
Texas Limits Which Family Members Can Seek Recovery
Your case is a priority for every member of our legal team. We will explain all applicable Texas laws to ensure you understand where your case is headed and how negotiations work.
According to Texas law, the deceased person’s parents, spouse, and children can recover wrongful death-related damages. When we handle your case, we make sure the appropriate family member takes the appropriate legal action.
We Can Prove Your Case’s Required Elements in Laredo, TX
On your own, it can be difficult to assert your right to damages. Using evidence, we can assert that your loved one’s passing was “wrongful” in accordance with state law. Texas law considers a death wrongful if:
- A person’s death was caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness.
- A decedent would have been entitled to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit if they had survived.
To prove your family is entitled to damages, we supplement your case with:
- All case-related accident reports
- Your loved one’s death certificate
- Autopsy results (if applicable)
- Statements from accident eyewitnesses
- Statements from expert witnesses
- Case-related photos and videos
Our wrongful death lawyers representing families in Laredo will not tax you or your family with evidence-gathering. Instead, we collect all case-related evidence for you. At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®, we never stop fighting for your family’s rights or for the monetary damages you are entitled to recover.
We Advocate for Wrongful Death Claimants in These Situations
Every case our law firm handles starts with a free case evaluation. During yours, we listen to the circumstances that led to your loved one’s passing and explain your family’s legal rights and options.
Our practice areas in Laredo include:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Defective products
- Pedestrian accidents
- Slip, trip, and fall accidents
This list is not exhaustive. If your loved one’s death was the result of negligence, our team can help.
Our Investigation Will Prove the At-Fault Party’s Negligence
The at-fault party’s negligence in your case is based on four elements: duty, breach, causation, and damages. These elements involve showing:
- Another party had an obligation to act with reasonable care and caution.
- Another party acted carelessly or recklessly––whether intentional or otherwise.
- Another party caused your loved one’s passing.
- Your family has various financial losses, from funeral expenses to final medical bills.
The evidence that supports each of these factors will vary depending on the cause of your loved one’s passing. During your free case evaluation, we can explain the four elements of negligence and how they apply to your case.
Our Wrongful Death Team Will Fight for Your Family in Laredo
Putting the elements of your case together can be complex and time-consuming. Your family is never alone in their fight for financial recovery. With our attorneys on your side, you can trust that we’ll:
- Investigate your loved one’s passing
- Handle all case-related communications
- Meet with the liable party’s legal representative
- Explain legal jargon and complex principles
- Update you as your case progresses
We also handle the entire settlement negotiation process, including receiving offers, weighing their feasibility, and guiding you toward a favorable, well-informed decision. If your case has to go to court, we will not hesitate to represent you at trial.
Considerations After Your Loved One’s Passing in Webb County
During this challenging time, we want you to take care of yourself. We encourage you to spend time with your loved ones, focus on your grief, and attend therapy, if necessary. Your well-being is critically important.
In addition to focusing on yourself, we encourage you to:
- Keep all documents related to your loved one’s accident and passing
- Leave all insurance-related communications to your legal team
- Consider prompt legal action
- Refer all settlement offers to your lawyer before accepting one
Each of these things can guide your case toward a favorable outcome. We can give more case-specific advice when you connect with our wrongful death team serving Laredo.
We Can Evaluate Your Wrongful Death Case at No Cost or Obligation
If your family lost a loved one as the result of a negligence-based accident, you don’t have to navigate the legal system on your own. Our wrongful death lawyers serving Laredo will guide you and your family through the financial recovery process.
Get started today by contacting one of our case evaluation team members at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® today.