In any accident between a truck and a car, the smaller vehicle and its occupants typically suffer the worst damage. If you were injured in a truck accident in Leander, you may be entitled to financial recovery.
A truck accident lawyer serving Leander at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can evaluate your accident and guide you as we fight for your financial recovery.
Damages You Could Recover After a Leander Truck Accident
The damages you can recover depend on your case; however, common expenses and losses after a truck accident include:
- Medical bills, both current and future
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Miscellaneous expenses, such as transportation to and from appointments or renovating your vehicle to accommodate a wheelchair
You may also be able to recover non-economic damages, such as mental anguish and pain and suffering.
If you lost a loved one in a truck accident, we can file a wrongful death action and/or survival action on your behalf. You could recover:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical bills incurred before your loved one’s passing
- Lost earning capacity
- Loss of support, care, and maintenance
- Mental pain and anguish
Benefits of Hiring a Truck Accident Lawyer
By hiring a truck accident lawyer, you are adding the experience of a team to your bench. We also have investigators and other personnel to handle all the legwork for you.
We Manage All Aspects of Your Case
The legwork required during an accident investigation claim process is extensive. We want you to focus on your recovery, so we will do all the legal heavy lifting.
We Locate All Responsible Parties
One essential task a lawyer from our firm will help with is building a case to prove fault and establish the party responsible for your injury. To prove fault, your lawyer will compile information from a variety of sources, including:
- Police and accident reports that contain the officer’s notes, names of witnesses, brief witness statements, and more
- Witness statements from the scene and independent interviews
- Information from the vehicle computer system
- Available videos from dashcams, vehicle cams, and any public or private video camera that may have caught footage from the accident, such as traffic cams
- Reviewing previous safety and driving violations and request the scene’s drug and alcohol test results
- Reviewing maintenance and inspection records
- Reviewing training programs, driver auditing, and licensing
- Reviewing cell phone statements for possible distracted driving
A truck accident lawyer will try to find every applicable document, report, video, and photograph to gain the best possible understanding of all the contributing factors.
Determining the responsible parties can be tricky when trucks are involved. In addition to the driver, many other parties may be liable, including:
- The truck owner or trucking company
- The shipping company
- The manufacturer of the truck
- The manufacturer of parts, such as brakes or safety devices
- The inspector that last evaluated road-worthiness
We Establish Liability
Once we have identified the liable party(s), the burden of proof falls on us. Evidence we may use to hold the other party responsible includes:
- Weather reports
- Road condition reports
- Vehicle inspection reports
- Vehicle maintenance records
- Driving records
- Drug and alcohol blood tests
- Hours-of-service logs
We will use this evidence to establish:
- Duty: The truck driver had the duty to drive safely.
- Breach: The truck driver acted in a manner inconsistent with fulfilling their duty to drive safely.
- Causation: The driver’s action caused the accident, causing injury to you or your loved ones.
- Damages: You suffered damages such as lost wages, medical expenses, vehicle repair, or replacement.
We Negotiate with Insurance Companies
Insurance companies are not always eager to pay. Initially, they may make a very low offer. We recommend you do not accept the first offer before having our team review it. Once we have reviewed the offer, we can negotiate for a fair settlement.
We Prepare Your Case for Trial
We may need to take your case to trial to get the compensation you deserve. To ensure we are always ready, we prepare every case we take on for trial. We will handle all necessary paperwork and represent you in court.
Truck Accidents Often Lead to Severe or Fatal Injuries
The sheer size of a tractor-trailer gives it a considerable advantage in colliding with a car. The average weight of an empty semi-truck starts at about 10,000 pounds. An average automobile weighs only around 4,000 to 4,500 pounds. A truck carrying a fully loaded trailer can weigh as much as 20 times the weight of a standard car.
In truck vs. passenger car collisions, passenger car occupants often receive serious injuries that can include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Broken bones
- Loss of extremities (amputation)
- Internal bleeding
Truck accidents also often lead to fatal injuries.
When passenger vehicles collide with trucks, the results are similar. The truck is almost always the winner when big rigs and passenger vehicles tangle on the roadway.
You Have a Limited Time to Act After a Truck Accident in Texas
If you were injured in a truck accident in or around Leander, you must be aware of the time limits for taking legal action. Per Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003, you have two years to file an injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
If you file to file within this time limit, you may be unable to obtain financial recovery.
Contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™
A truck accident lawyer serving Leander at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ is here to help. If you were in a truck accident, suffered an injury, financial loss, or a change in your ability to work, please contact us today. Your first consultation is FREE.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What If Your Spouse Can No Longer Have Children After a Car Accident?
- What Happens If The Other Driver Was Drunk In My Texas Car Accident?
- Does Insurance Cover Car Accidents Caused By Icy Roads?
- Can I Sue for Lost Wages Resulting from a Truck Accident in Houston?
- How Can D. Miller and Associates, PLLC Help Me With My USC Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?