According to United States law, a catastrophic injury is the “consequences of an injury that permanently prevent(s) an individual from performing any gainful work.” If you suffered such an injury due to negligence, you can secure financial recovery with our legal team.
A catastrophic injury lawyer serving McAllen can champion your rights and pursue the funds you need. D. Miller & Associates, PLLCᴿ has advocated for injured Texans since 2002. Now, we’re ready to extend a helping hand and resolve your injury claim. We offer free case evaluations.
We Urge You to File Your Lawsuit Within the Statute of Limitations in Georgia
Under Texas law, you generally have two years to file your injury lawsuit. Your filing deadline either begins from:
- The date you lost a loved one to a catastrophic injury
- The date you suffered harm
- The date you discovered your injuries
When you partner with an injury lawyer from our team serving McAllen, we will manage each of your case’s deadlines. Yet, we encourage you to promptly consider your legal options. If we learn about your case after the statute of limitations has expired, this could jeopardize your right to damages.
What Constitutes a Catastrophic Injury in McAllen?
Many people use the phrase “life-changing” to describe catastrophic injuries, but that is a broad phrase. Catastrophic injuries generally require months and sometimes years of recovery. They can also cause permanent and lasting effects.
Examples of these conditions include:
- Traumatic brain injuries, such as concussions
- Paralysis and spinal cord injuries
- Loss of a limb (amputation)
- Loss of sight and other eye injuries
- Loss of hearing
- Severe burns
- Damage to internal organs
- Broken bones
- Complete or partial disability
- Birth injuries, such as cerebral palsy
You may not see your condition on the list above. If so, that’s okay. During your free case evaluation, we can listen to your story and determine your legal options.
Financial Recovery Could Encompass These Injury-Related Losses
Depending on your condition’s severity, you could seek funds for:
- Medical treatment. This category includes your necessary medical expenses, such as ambulance transportation, surgical procedures, hospitalization, follow-up medical care, physical therapy, and more.
- Lost income. This includes all lost current and future wages due to your condition. Reimbursement could also cover expected promotions, benefits, commissions, and diminished future earning capacity.
- Various out-of-pocket costs. A catastrophic injury can require you to renovate your home, adapt to a new vehicle, or need in-home help. You shouldn’t have to pay for these losses from your own savings. Instead, the liable party should.
- Mental anguish. When a severe injury occurs, it can affect every aspect of your life. Your settlement or court award should reflect the mental harm you suffered as a result of getting hurt.
- Pain and suffering. Catastrophic injuries can cause ongoing pain. Monetary awards won’t cure the pain but can ease the burdens of day-to-day life.
- Disfigurement and physical impairment. Living with a permanent physical disability or disfigurement can be devastating. Your damages should reflect this challenge.
This is not an exhaustive list of recoverable losses following a catastrophic injury. You may pursue additional losses to those listed here. We can identify those losses after evaluating your situation.
How Our Injury Team Serving McAllen Will Manage Your Injury Case
When you or a family member suffers from a catastrophic injury, it can transform your life. Our team is ready to support your legal goals by:
- Conducting a complete investigation to gather evidence on your behalf. Supporting evidence can include the police report, testimony from witnesses, your injury-related billing statements, and more.
- Obtaining expert witnesses or testimony to reconstruct the accident scene or document the severity of your injuries. We may consult with accident reconstruction specialists, healthcare providers, and economists about your case.
- Determining the liable party. The liable party in your case depends on the cause of your accident. For instance, if you suffered harm in a collision, we can file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance provider.
- Filing your claim and negotiating a settlement. We hope to resolve your case through an insurance settlement, so you don’t have to file a lawsuit. Yet, this involves managing all insurance-related communications, identifying your losses’ costs, and pursuing what you need.
- Filing your civil lawsuit. As noted, we must file your lawsuit in accordance with Texas law. We must also interview witnesses, take depositions, and follow courtroom procedure.
Our team will do everything possible to reach the best possible conclusion for your case.
Frequently Asked Questions About Injury Cases in McAllen, Texas
Right now, you may wonder:
Do I Have to Accept the Insurance Company’s First Offer?
You don’t have to accept any amount that doesn’t meet your needs. If the insurer offers less than you deserve, then we can negotiate for a better offer. If not, we can file a lawsuit and go from there.
What Happens if the Statute of Limitations Expires on My Case?
If you file your case outside of the two-year statutory deadline, the courts will refuse to hear your case. This could limit your financial recovery options and hurt your chances of securing damages.
How Long Could It Take to Recover Damages?
How long it takes to resolve your injury case largely depends on your situation. You can trust that with our team on your side, we’ll keep your case moving forward. We won’t let any unnecessary delays prevent your case from reaching a timely conclusion.
Start a Your Free Case Evaluation Today
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLCᴿ, we understand how a catastrophic injury can impact you and your family. We offer a free case evaluation so you can meet us, tell us about your injury, and explore your options.
Discover the benefits of having a compassionate law firm with your needs in mind. Schedule your initial case review today. Our catastrophic injury lawyers serving McAllen will champion your rights.