If you or a family member suffered injuries in a McAllen, TX, truck accident, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®, can help you pursue financial recovery. We will explain your rights and take legal action against the at-fault party and/or liable parties.
Our McAllen truck accident lawyers will investigate the collision, collect evidence, interview witnesses, and represent you throughout negotiations with an insurance company. In short, our team will do everything possible to fight for the financial recovery you deserve.
Our Team Advocates for Truck Accident Claimants in McAllen, Texas
Its proximity to the border and position along major highways, including U.S. Route 83, makes McAllen an important trade hub. However, this also means that large trucks commonly travel through the area, increasing the chance of a truck accident. In fact, according to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), there were nearly 500 commercial vehicle accidents in Hidalgo County in 2020.
Truck accidents can be more complex than car accidents in Texas. The injuries are often serious and significant, and an accident with a truck can transform your quality of life. Our law firm will define your injury-related expenses and seek what you need.
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®, our personal injury attorneys serving McAllen, TX, handle many types of Texas truck accident cases, including those involving:
- Commercial vehicle collisions
- 18-wheeler and semi truck accidents
- Dump truck accidents
- Garbage truck wrecks
- Delivery truck collisions
- Work van accidents
- Other accidents involving trucks
When you call our team, we will evaluate your case for free.
How Truck Accidents Differ from Car Accidents and How Our Truck Wreck Attorneys Can Help
On the surface, it may seem like commercial truck accidents are like any other road accident. However, there are key differences between them, so hiring an attorney to manage a McAllen, TX, truck collision can make a difference in a case’s outcome.
In addition to the severity of the injuries that occur in truck accidents, these cases often involve federal and state regulations and laws. They also require extensive investigations that could reveal multiple parties played a role in the accident. Some of these parties are usually not on the accident scene.
Our truck accident lawyers can review your situation and seek damages for you if we take your case. Here are just a few tasks we can handle in a McAllen trucking case:
We Will Collect Evidence to Support Your Truck Accident Case
Because multiple parties could be responsible for your financial recovery, you’ll need evidence that shows their roles in the collision. Some forms of evidence can be difficult to access on your own. When we represent you, we collect even the most difficult-to-obtain evidence. We can make sure your case file includes:
- The official truck accident report
- The driver’s training and employment records, driving records, chemical test results, complaint history, and logbooks
- Truck maintenance and repair records
- The company’s hiring practices
- Mechanics reports
- Data from the truck’s black box
- Dashcam footage from the truck or traffic cam footage that recorded the accident (if available)
In addition to information and reports like these, we can also locate and interview witnesses, consult with any experts who might benefit your case, and canvass the accident scene for physical evidence. We may even use dashcam or traffic camera footage to learn how your collision happened and who is responsible for causing it.
We Can Investigate to Determine the Cause of the Trucking Accident and Identify All Liable Parties
Financial responsibility for your accident rests with the party or parties whose negligent actions caused your collision. This may include:
- The truck driver: Commercial drivers, especially those who travel across state lines, must adhere to regulations mandated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). They must also obey the same rules of the road as all vehicle drivers. Common driver-related causes of truck accidents include speeding, driving fatigued, or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- The trucking company: Trucking companies must ensure their drivers have the proper training and licenses, have a clean driving record, and submit to alcohol and drug testing. Companies must also maintain the vehicles in their fleet and avoid imposing unreasonable schedules that may cause their drivers to violate FMCSA regulations. We will investigate your accident to determine what role the trucking company may have played.
- The party responsible for the truck’s maintenance: Sometimes, trucking companies contract their vehicle maintenance out to another party or lease vehicles from an owner who is responsible for the truck’s condition. If a maintenance issue caused your collision, we will get to the bottom of who is responsible and make them accountable.
- The party responsible for the cargo: Trucks often pick up trailers full of goods owned by another party who is responsible for packing, loading, and even attaching the trailer. If these things are not done correctly, it can result in shifting cargo, falling goods, trailer detachments, and other issues that could cause a wreck. In addition, hazardous cargo, such as gasoline or chemicals, must also be properly labeled and transported.
- A manufacturer, road owner, or third party: Blown tires, defective brakes, broken traffic signals, and even the actions of third-party motorists can contribute to truck accidents. If applicable to your case, we can help with a claim or lawsuit against a vehicle or auto parts maker, roadway owner, or vehicle driver.
- A government entity responsible for the accident site: A governing authority or an independent company could be liable if a trucking accident occurred because of compromised roads, incomplete repairs, missing, damaged, or confusing road signage, or other duties that the entity did not take care of that could have prevented the accident.
- Another person on or near the accident site, including a passenger car driver, motorcyclist, bicyclist, or pedestrian.
Our truck accident lawyers will list all potentially liable parties and if you could recover financial damages from them.
Recoverable Damages in a McAllen, TX, Truck Accident Case
With our personal injury team on your side, we will pursue the damages you need to account for your injury-related losses, which may include:
- Ambulance transportation services
- Medical treatment and related expenses
- Ongoing health care costs
- Lost income and benefits
- Diminished earning capacity
- Property damage costs, including the repair or replacement of your vehicle
- Miscellaneous costs related to your accident, injuries, or treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional anguish
After we assess the losses of your financial recovery case, we will know what we can seek from the parties responsible for the truck accident.
We’re Ready to Seek Damages If You Lost a Loved One
If a member of your family passed away in a truck accident in McAllen, TX, you may be eligible to file a wrongful death action for damages. While you take care of your loved one’s final arrangements and tend to other family business, we will review your case and fight for your recovery.
You may be eligible to recover the cost of your loved one’s final healthcare expenses, funeral and burial expenses, and other related costs. We can explore if damages for your loved one’s pain and suffering are also available. Wrongful death cases in Texas are governed by state laws that can be complex. When we talk with you during your free case evaluation, we can explain how these actions work and the relatives who can seek damages for a loved one.
We Will Do Everything Possible to Recover the Damages You Deserve
In general, we can pursue your damages in a McAllen, TX, truck accident case in two ways. Sometimes, we can negotiate an out-of-court settlement with the trucking company or another liable party. In other cases, we must pursue a personal injury lawsuit in a Texas court to get the recovery you need.
We can help you determine the best course of action for your case and move forward with filing your claims or lawsuits. We can represent you every step of the way by:
- Handling case-related communications
- Managing paperwork and deadlines, keeping your case on track
- Investigating the truck accident in McAllen, collecting evidence, and building a case
- Obtaining bills, pay stubs, and records about your financial losses
- Negotiating for the fairest settlement possible
- Fighting for you at trial if necessary
Since 2002, Attorney Darren A. Miller and his team have helped countless people recover damages for their hardships. Our team comprises lawyers, investigators, medical coordinators, and paralegals available to help you. We are legal heroes who help injured clients in McAllen and throughout Texas seek the recovery they need to move on after experiencing life-changing losses and injuries.
We Recommend Prompt Legal Action to Protect Your Legal Rights
Texas law generally gives you two years to file a truck accident lawsuit. The clock starts when your injury occurred or at the time of your loved one’s passing. We must file your case within this deadline, or you risk losing the right to pursue damages.
Another reason to consider prompt legal action after a truck accident in McAllen, TX, is that we need to obtain pertinent evidence to support your case. For example, the truck’s onboard computer, the driver’s rest logs, and the post-accident drug and alcohol testing results could all help in proving your case. Yet, this information won’t last forever.
We need to act quickly to preserve evidence. Our attorneys can send a spoliation letter to the trucking company. This letter asks the company to preserve evidence that could support your damages case. It can include a truck driver’s drug or alcohol test results and other information that could be useful. We encourage you to call us as soon as possible.
Hear What Our Previous Clients Have to Share
Your truck accident case is important to our entire team. When previous clients talk about their experience with us, they say:
- Nubian W: “Suzette listened to my…frustration about my pains, my depression and anxiety as a result of the accident. I trust this organization to do all that is required in order to take care of its clients…they gave me hope that l would be able to return to my normal life.”
- Luz McMullen: “Great experience and good customer service from the D. Miller & Associates, PLLC team…I am happy with my settlement, and I would recommend D. Miller & Associates, PLLC to everyone.”
Read more reviews like these on our client testimonials page, and see why previous clients recommend our responsive, supportive team to potential future clients.
What Should I Do After My Truck Accident in McAllen, Texas?
After getting hurt in a truck accident, promptly visit a healthcare provider if you did not go to the hospital after the collision. This is important for your health, and it creates an official record of your injuries. Then, be sure to follow your treatment plan completely, as this can help you reach maximum medical improvement (MMI). If you don’t follow it or complete it, the opposing party can say your injuries weren’t that serious or claim that another source caused them.
Other considerations you can make after a traffic accident in McAllen, TX, include:
- Limiting what you share online about your collision
- Limiting who you talk to about the accident, online and offline
- Limiting direct communications with the insurance companies (you can refer them to your lawyer)
- Refraining from giving a recorded statement to anyone, particularly an insurer
- Saving all information related to your accident case
- Leaving negotiations to your lawyer (do not accept a hasty settlement that falls short of your needs; our truck attorneys serving McAllen can review all settlement offers so that you can avoid “lowball” offers)
- Tracking your injury-related losses
- Taking photos of your external injuries throughout your recovery period
When you partner with our team, we can explain what other measures could support your case.
Talk to One of Our Team Members Serving McAllen, TX, About Your Truck Accident
If you suffered injuries in a truck accident in McAllen, Texas, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® can help you. We will pursue the financial recovery you deserve.
Let us evaluate your case for free and explain your legal options. We can also answer your questions and concerns. Call us today for a complimentary consultation with a member of our team. We can answer your questions and connect you with our McAllen truck accident lawyers.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Should You Do If You Are Injured In Bicycle Accident In Texas?
- How Can D. Miller and Associates, PLLC Help Me With My USC Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?
- What Is Comparative Fault & How does It Work?
- What Types of Injury Cases Fall Under Premises Liability Law In Texas?
- How Long Do I Have to Report a Car Accident to Insurance in Texas?