Thousands of Americans suffer from catastrophic injuries every year. For example, according to Statista, about 17,900 Americans suffer a spinal cord injury each year. These types of injuries are not only expensive, but they can also prevent victims from re-joining the workforce.
Are you suffering from a catastrophic injury? Are you unable to work? A catastrophic injury lawyer serving Odessa from our firm can evaluate your case. You may be able to secure a financial recovery. A settlement may allow you to pay for your medical bills and reimburse you for lost wages.
What Is a Catastrophic Injury?
Catastrophic injuries refer to severe or debilitating medical conditions. Per 34 U.S. Code § 10284, an injury is considered catastrophic if it permanently prevents someone from working. Catastrophic injuries may include:
- Spinal column injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Severe skeletal trauma
Catastrophic injuries don’t discriminate. They can happen to anyone anywhere. Our firm has represented victims of:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bike accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective medication
- And more
What Is the Average Financial Recovery After a Catastrophic Injury?
There is no “average” catastrophic injury settlement. These cases are subject to a high degree of variability. The medical expenses incurred by your accident will play a significant role in your case’s value, and these expenses are rarely the same from case to case. For instance, TBIs and paraplegia have very different potential medical outcomes.
Similarly, the legal or insurance proceedings of your case will play a role, including:
- Whether your case goes to trial
- The type of insurance negotiations that take place
- Whether the liable party was carrying insurance at the time of the accident and how much coverage they purchased
Damages quantify how you’ve suffered after a catastrophic injury, both financially and emotionally. Your economic and non-economic damages may include:
- Medical expenses: Surgery, medication, and rehabilitative therapy are included in this type of damage.
- Pain and suffering: Catastrophic injuries inevitably involve physical and emotional pain and suffering as you grapple with your new reality.
- Lost wages: Your future earning capacity may be an important factor in catastrophic injury cases. You may be able to recover present and future lost wages for injuries that leave you unable to work.
- Loss of consortium: This damage accounts for the loss of intimacy with a spouse, which is common after some catastrophic injuries.
Our catastrophic injury attorneys serving Odessa can pursue these damages on your behalf. We believe everyone deserves a fair financial recovery after suffering from a catastrophic injury.
The Benefits of Hiring a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Serving Odessa
Insurance negotiations and legal proceedings are messy, time-consuming, and complicated. You don’t need to pursue a financial recovery on your own. Our catastrophic injury lawyers serving Odessa can:
- Negotiate with insurers
- Communicate with any parties involved in your case
- Engage in settlement discussions
- Gather evidence and assign liability
- Provide prompt answers to your legal questions
- File a lawsuit if necessary
Legal support can provide you peace of mind. If you hire a lawyer from our firm, you can spend more time recovering from your catastrophic injury and less time worrying about your case.
We show up for our clients. This is what some of our previous clients have said in their testimonials about our firm:
- “The staff here are genuinely concerned about what is going on in our lives. They have walked me through every step and I sincerely appreciate their helpfulness.” – Shelly B.
- “D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has done everything possible to help me and my family after my car accident two years ago. They got me the medical care I needed took care of things when I couldn’t take care of them have been very helpful in this whole process. If you’re ever looking for someone that will put up a good fight when you can’t these are the people who look to.” – Amber W.
Your Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit Has a Deadline
Each state has a statute of limitations for personal injury cases. A statute of limitations is effectively a deadline. If you miss it, you cannot file a lawsuit. Per Texas law, this deadline is two years after the date of your catastrophic injury.
We will meet your case deadlines. We want you to have every possible option available in your case. Lawsuits can turn a case around.
Who Can I Sue After a Catastrophic Injury Case?
You can sue the party that is liable for your injuries. In a catastrophic injury case, this could be:
- A truck driver
- A car driver
- A trucking company
- A property owner
- A product manufacturer
- A medical practitioner
- Another third party
How do I Know Who the Liable Party Is?
Your catastrophic injury attorney serving Odessa can help you identify any potentially liable parties in your case. First, we will evaluate your case’s evidence. This may include:
- Images of the accident or your injuries
- Video of the accident
- Medical records or invoices
- Eyewitness interviews
- Statements from qualified experts
Then, we’ll work to show that the liable party behaved negligently, which, in turn, caused your injuries. This process typically involves establishing these qualifiers:
- Duty of care: Drivers, doctors, and just about anyone in the public sphere is responsible for not putting others at risk. This responsibility is called a duty of care. Your lawyer must show that the liable party owed you this duty.
- Breach of duty: A breach of duty is a form of negligent behavior that puts others at risk. These actions can take many forms. For example, someone who sends text messages while driving breaches their duty of care to other motorists on the road.
- Causation: Just showing that the liable party behaved negligently isn’t enough, though. There must be a link between their negligence and your injuries.
- Damages: Finally, your medical records and other forms of evidence must show that you suffered damages because of your accident.
Hire a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Serving Odessa Today
We’re ready to support the residents of Odessa. We’ll negotiate with insurers, engage in settlement discussions, and file a lawsuit if needed. Our catastrophic injury lawyers serving Odessa are prepared to do whatever it takes to secure you a fair financial recovery. Peace of mind is just one phone call away.
Call our offices for a free case evaluation today.