If you or a loved one were injured in a motorcycle accident in Plano, Texas, you may qualify to pursue damages in a personal injury case. Filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit may help you recover your medical care costs, lost income, and other financial losses. However, beyond your financial recovery, you may be able to hold the at-fault driver or another liable party accountable for your pain and suffering.
Our team at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® will handle every step of your case. We will protect you from harm and pursue a fair recovery for you. We can assign a Plano motorcycle accident lawyer to represent you, then have our legal team build your case on your behalf. We offer the first consultation for free to give you an opportunity to discuss your case with one of our team members and learn more about your legal options.
What Losses Can You Potentially Recover in a Motorcycle Accident Case?
Your motorcycle accident losses may relate directly to injuries or a loved one’s passing. In cases of an injury, you may receive financial awards for accident-related losses. Our team will review both your economic and non-economic damages to determine what your case may be worth.
The following are common types of damages claimed in motorcycle accident cases. Keep in mind that each personal injury case is unique to each plaintiff since everyone has unique variables that can be affected by an accident. You may claim other damages not listed here, which we will discuss in future consultations with you.
Your Pain and Suffering
“Pain and suffering” refers to different forms of physical and emotional pain experienced by the accident victim. Pain and suffering damages fall under non-economic losses, meaning they do not initially have monetary value. Your lawyer will advocate for compensation that fairly represents the extent of the pain and suffering you experienced because of the accident. For example, as an injured motorcycle accident victim, you may have:
- Experienced intense physical pain
- Lost certain physical abilities
- Been confined in a hospital room for a significant period of time
- Difficulty sleeping
- Recurring traumatic memories
- Cognitive problems due to a traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Depression, anxiety, and other forms of emotional anguish
- Become permanently disabled
- Become physically disfigured because of your injuries or develop scars
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) suggests that you may have serious injuries after a motorcycle accident. You may receive financial recovery for pain and suffering from those injuries.
Your Healthcare Expenses
In many cases, motorcycle accident victims can recover the costs of their medical treatment, which can range from emergency treatment to doctor appointments, depending on the severity of your injuries. For example, your accident-related injuries may have required:
- Ambulance transport to an emergency department
- Emergency room treatment
These immediate responses to your injuries would qualify you to get financial awards to recover the costs of your treatment. However, if your injuries required follow-up or long-term treatment, you may also be able to recover the costs of additional medical care. Additional health care costs may stem from:
- Prescription medications
- Doctor appointments
- Physical therapy
- Medical aid equipment, such as wheelchairs, crutches, or neck braces
- Other rehabilitative treatments, such as chiropractic care
We will also factor future medical costs you may have to cover in your treatment plan. We may consult your physician or other medical experts to determine how much medical treatment you will need before you reach maximum medical improvement (MMI).
If your injuries prevent you from working for any period of time, then you may receive a recovery for:
- Lost wages if you work part time or by the hour
- Lost bonuses
- Other lost forms of income, such as lost pensions
We can project future loss of income if you are likely to miss more work because of your injuries.
Lost Earning Power
Lost earning power is similar to lost income but is not quite the same. Lost earning power provides financial protection if you return to work, but:
- Can only complete a lower-paying job due to your injuries
- Must limit your hours to accommodate injuries
- Cannot move up the professional ladder due to injury-related limitations
We may factor how much your injuries had an impact on your career, which may involve consulting a vocational rehabilitation therapist or other industry professionals. Financial recovery for your reduced earning potential may help you recover the difference in salary between your current and former positions.
Property Damage and Alternative Travel
If your motorcycle suffered property damage and now requires repairs, you may qualify to recover the costs of those repairs through a motorcycle accident claim or lawsuit. Alternatively, you may recover the actual cash value of your motorcycle if it was totaled in the accident and must be replaced entirely.
Related to property damage costs are alternative travel costs if your motorcycle was your main mode of transportation. Whether you are waiting for your motorcycle to be repaired at the auto mechanic shop or need to save up money before you can purchase a replacement motorcycle, having no regular transportation can force you to pay for:
- A rental vehicle
- Public transportation
- Uber, Lyft, or other rideshare services
- Mileage costs for other people or companies to transport you
We may consider these expenses as part of your motorcycle accident case when pursuing your financial recovery.
Wrongful Death Damages
Unfortunately, because motorcyclists are physically vulnerable when involved in auto accidents, the risk of fatality is high. If you lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident in Plano, Texas, you may qualify to file a wrongful death action on their behalf to recover damages you suffered as a result of their sudden and unexpected passing. These damages may include:
- Financial support you would have received from your loved one had they lived
- Loss of companionship if you are the spouse of the decedent (your loved one)
- Loss of parental guidance if you are the child of the decedent
- Loss of inheritance
- Loss of society
- Loss of consortium
Our attorneys can manage the case for you so that you can continue to grieve in peace. We understand going through litigation can be traumatic for those still processing their loved one’s wrongful death, so we aim to be mindful of your feelings as we update you about your case.
Seeking Recovery through a Claim or Lawsuit
The team at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® will investigate your motorcycle accident and seek a fair recovery for your case. We may obtain a recovery for clients through:
- An insurance claim
- A pre-trial settlement
- A judgment
We deal with insurance companies on your behalf. We will begin by filing an insurance claim and assessing any initial offers. We can then negotiate a fair recovery.
Negotiations may result in a pre-trial settlement. For civil cases, the American Bar Association (ABA) explains that a settlement is more likely than a trial. A settlement may produce a financial recovery without the time or cost of a trial. If necessary, a lawyer from our firm who serves Plano will take your case to trial.
What Will D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® Do for You?
If you decide to work with a motorcycle accident lawyer serving Plano, Texas, from our firm, we will offer you:
- A team of lawyers, investigators, and paralegals
- Legal representation throughout your case
- Assistance with medical appointments and other case-related needs
- The full extent of our legal experience
Insurance claims and lawsuits require a high level of attention. We handle the following responsibilities for you:
We want to understand your case completely before we seek a financial recovery. We investigate your case by:
- Gathering video footage, photographs, and other accident-related evidence
- Obtaining witness accounts
- Obtaining the police report for your accident
- Working with expert witnesses, such as accident reconstruction analysts, medical professionals, vocational rehabilitation therapists, and economists
- Filing subpoenas when necessary for evidence retrieval, such as requests for black box information if your accident involves a semi-truck
Knowing the facts of your accident will help determine liability and losses. Should we discover that multiple liable parties may exist for your case, we will advise you on whether you should consider filing multiple claims to pursue your financial recovery.
Pursuit of Fair Financial Recovery
We identify and seek recovery for your financial, physical, emotional, and mental losses. We determine the value of your losses by:
- Obtaining employment-related records
- Gathering your medical bills
- Calculating non-economic losses (including your pain and suffering)
- Gathering records of motorcycle repair
We will be transparent in how we reach a financial goal for your motorcycle accident case. If you have questions about this process, one of our team members can discuss your damages with you in a consultation.
Defense of Your Rights
We protect you from lawyers and insurance companies. We serve as the buffer between you and these parties. We do this because these parties may:
- Offer tempting but unfair settlement offers
- Try to coax you into self-damaging statements
- Intimidate you with a team of lawyers
- Take too long to get back to you via phone or mail
We deal with insurance companies and other lawyers regularly. We can protect your rights and handle all the communications on your behalf.
File Required Legal Paperwork by Deadlines
In Texas, you must submit your motorcycle accident lawsuit within two years of the accident, per Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003. If you are filing a wrongful death action, then the deadline shifts to two years from the date of the victim’s death. Keep in mind certain exceptions may exist that might change your case’s legal deadline, such as cases involving municipalities or minors.
When you hire an attorney from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® to represent you, we cover the legal paperwork and keep track of when they need to be submitted for your case to remain valid. Our legal team will research which forms are necessary for your case and inform you where you need to put your signature if necessary.
Miller & Associates, PLLC® Puts You First
We take a client-focused approach to the law. When you hire our team, you can expect us to shoulder your legal needs. We will give your case the personalized attention it deserves by:
- Monitoring your recovery
- Keeping you informed about your case
- Returning your emails and phone calls in a timely manner
- Conducting any necessary meetings in a location that is convenient for you
When we go to work for you, you can focus on your health and recovery.
What Our Firm Has Accomplished for Clients Like You
Miller & Associates, PLLC®has:
- Obtained more than $250 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients
- Prevailed in more than 36,000 cases
- Garnered positive reviews from satisfied clients
Remember, you do not have an unlimited amount of time to file a lawsuit. If you wait to call, then the deadline for filing your case could expire.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® Today for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one were injured in a motorcycle accident in Plano, Texas, you may have grounds to demand financial recovery from the at-fault driver or another liable party. At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC®, we offer free case evaluations with no obligation. You can ask our team any questions that you have during your first consultation, and we’ll discuss which legal options are available to you to potentially recover your damages.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® today for a free consultation. Do not wait to call. The sooner you call, the quicker we may be able to file your case. Start your legal journey today.