There are few situations more terrifying than being attacked by a dog. Dog bites create severe physical and psychological distress. If a dog bit you, you could seek recovery from the dog owner’s liability insurance.
Our dog bite lawyers in Spring, TX are here to help. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC for a free case evaluation at (713) 850-8600.
Dog Bites Require Immediate Medical Attention
The first action after being bitten by a dog is to get medical attention
. According to the Cleveland Clinic, dog bites can easily become infected. Go to the nearest emergency department, urgent care center, or your healthcare provider for treatment. It is important that you follow recommendations to clean and bandage the area.
You might also be given oral antibiotics. Although rare, improperly treated dog bites can lead to life-threatening infections.
How to Determine if You Can Pursue Recovery
Seeking compensation for a dog bite is like other personal injury cases. A dog bite lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will show that the dog owner or handler was negligent and allowed the attack to happen. We have recovered compensation for other clients by proving negligence this way:
- The dog’s owner has a duty of care to keep the dog safely contained and away from others.
- The dog’s owner did not uphold this duty of care.
- You were bitten because the owner neglected to keep the dog contained.
- Your injuries have cost you one or more in damages: physical, mental, or financial.
While past results do not guarantee future outcomes, a dog bite lawyer in Spring, TX will handle the stressful details of your claim so you can concentrate on feeling better. You do not pay attorney fees unless we recover compensation.
For a free case evaluation, please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600.
What You Can Do to Strengthen Your Claim
A dog bite lawyer in Spring, TX has the legal knowledge to seek recovery for your injuries. It is helpful when our clients supply details that we can include in our letter of demand or claim.
As soon as you are feeling well enough, we suggest the following:
- Write down a detailed account of the attack, including where you were, what you were doing, and how the attack occurred.
- If other people saw the attack or were able to take a video or pictures, get their name and contact information.
- Make a note of any other encounters you had with the dog.
- Take photographs of your injuries, torn clothes, or any other physical evidence of the attack.
- Make copies of any correspondence you may have from the dog owner’s insurance company.
During your free case evaluation, we will ask for your permission to speak with your healthcare provider. It is important that we have correct medical information about your physical and mental well-being.
We will use this information to seek compensation from the dog owner’s insurance. To learn more, please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
We Look for Other Indicators of Negligence by the Dog’s Owner
There are other ways in which a dog bite lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will show negligence by the dog’s owner. Many Texas municipalities have leash laws. If you were attacked in a public place by an unleashed dog, the owner may be held accountable.
Likewise, many homeowner associations require that dog owners have fenced yards. You could be entitled to a recovery if you were bitten by a loose dog that should have been contained in a fenced yard.
A Dog Bite Lawyer Will Protect Your Rights
You should know that most dog owners do not willingly admit responsibility. Even if the dog has bitten other people, they might deny knowledge of earlier attacks. Their insurance adjuster will also try to deny or downplay the legitimacy of your claim.
Dog bite lawyers from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC are skilled negotiators who have been successful for other clients. If we cannot reach a resolution through a settlement with the insurance company through an insurance claim, we may take your case to trial. Texas has a two-year deadline on personal injury lawsuits. Our dog bite lawyers will do all they can to protect your rights. For your free case evaluation, please call (713) 850-8600.
Texas Law Is Tough on Owners of Dangerous Dogs
You could pursue a claim if your bite was caused by a dog that is known to be dangerous or vicious. Texas has a “strict liability” rule when dangerous dogs attack. In these situations, your burden of proof as a plaintiff depends on showing that the dog was known to be vicious.
A Dog Bite Lawyer in Spring Will Help Seek Compensation for Damages
You have the legal right to pursue a claim for your injuries and related damages. These might include:
- Medical bills including urgent or emergency care
- Reconstructive or plastic surgery if disfigurement
- Lost wages
- Damaged private property
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Temporary or permanent disability
That is why you should call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC for a free case evaluation. A dog bite lawyer can advise you of your legal options. Please call (713) 850-8600.
Our Dog Bite Lawyers Are Ready to Help in Spring, TX
For your free case evaluation, please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Should You Do if You Are Injured as a Pedestrian Accident in Texas?
- What Are Your Legal Options If Someone Is Killed in A Pedestrian Accident in Texas?
- Can You Recover Money For Non-Injury Damages In a Car Accident?
- What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Texas
- What Happens If You’re Injured by a Drunk Driver Who Has No Car Insurance in Texas?