If your family member passed away because of someone’s negligence, you and other surviving members may qualify for financial recovery. You can use this recovery for funeral expenses, pain and suffering, and other damages.
The death of a family member is a very tragic experience. A wrongful death lawyer serving Arlington will help seek justice for your loved one and protect your rights. For a free case evaluation, please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at 713-850-8600.
How to Prove Wrongful Death to Seek Financial Recovery
The untimely passing of a family member is hard enough, without the added burden of knowing another person is responsible for the accident. Please do not hesitate to call a wrongful death lawyer serving Arlington, to help preserve your rights and seek available recovery.
A wrongful death attorney serving Arlington with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will review the circumstances of your loved one’s passing. This helps our firm determine what and who contributed to their loss of life. A wrongful death lawyer needs to prove that, it is more likely than not, that the defendant caused the injury, illness, or accident that led to your family member’s passing.
A Wrongful Death Lawyer Serving Arlington Will Determine Liability
To prove liability, we need to establish that:
- The at-fault party owed your loved one a duty of care to avoid causing the injury, illness, or accident
- The defendant breached this duty of care, through negligent act(s)
- The defendant caused the accident, injury, or illness that took your loved one’s life
- As surviving family members, you may seek recovery for damages in the form of medical bills, final expenses, mental anguish, and other losses
We know that these are difficult times for you and your family. D. Miller & Associates, PLLC is here to help you by protecting your rights and pursuing potential recovery. Please call 713-850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
Seeking Financial Recovery for Wrongful Death
You should know that Texas, like other states, has a deadline or statute of limitations on filing wrongful death lawsuits. In most cases, you have only two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit from the date of your loved one’s passing.
Many people avoid filing claims because they think they will need to go to court. Often, a wrongful death lawyer serving Arlington will not need to take your claim to court. Depending on how, when, and where your loved one passed away, your lawyer could file a claim with the defendant’s insurance coverage and hopefully reach an appropriate settlement.
Different insurance coverages could provide coverages to accidents that caused your loved one’s passing. These insurance coverages could include:
- Property insurance (home, business, or commercial)
- Medical malpractice
- Automobile, motorcycle, aviation, or boat insurance
A wrongful death lawyer serving Arlington will help find sources of potential recovery. In some cases, there may be more than one liable party. For example, if your loved one passed away due to a medical malpractice or wrongful death claim or lawsuit, there may be several responsible parties.
To get started on your case, please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC: 713-850-8600.
Common Types of Accidents in a Wrongful Death Case
According to Texas statutes, wrongful death is defined as the loss of life as a result of a wrongful, negligent, careless, or unskilled act. The wrongful death lawyers at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC handle a wide array of personal injury cases, including:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Workplace accidents
- Medical malpractice claims
- Car, truck, 18-wheeler, bus, motorcycle, bicycle, moped, or pedestrian accidents
- Defective product claims
- Nursing home or Assisted Living Facility (ALF) abuse and neglect
- Uber and Lyft accidents
- Premises liability accidents, such as drowning, electrocution, or acts of violence
- Toxin exposure claims
Not all law firms accept wrongful death cases. We invite you to call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, to find out how a wrongful death lawyer serving Arlington can help you and your family. Please call 713-850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
Potential Financial Recovery for a Wrongful Death
There are certain factors an insurance company or court considers when determining a potential recovery in a wrongful death case. These factors include:
- Your family member’s age at the time of their passing
- Their income and future (or expected) earning potential
- Number of dependent surviving family members
- Your loved one’s overall health and habits prior to their passing
The defendant’s lawyer or insurance adjuster may try to lessen their exposure in the accident that resulted in your loved one’s passing. They may claim their insured had a minor role in the accident that led to their passing, thereby trying to shift liability to another party. A wrongful death lawyer serving Arlington can counter these arguments to help you pursue financial recovery.
Kinds of Financial Recovery You Might Receive
Examples of financial recovery in a wrongful death case may include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Medical expenses prior to your loved one’s passing
- Estimated loss of income, benefits, annuities, or inheritance
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium, companionship, protection, or guidance
Your individual case may include a combination of these damages. A wrongful death lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will collect the necessary receipts and documents for seeking recovery. Our injury lawyers work on a contingency basis only.
Family Members Who May Initiate a Wrongful Death Claim or Lawsuit
If you are the spouse, parent, or child (both biological and legally adopted) of a family member in a wrongful death case, then you could be entitled to financial recovery. A wrongful death lawyer serving Arlington can explain how the law affects potential recovery in your case.
If you have lost a family member from someone’s harmful actions, please accept our condolences. You deserve the privacy and time to both mourn and remember your loved one. A wrongful death lawyer from our firm will seek recovery for you. For a free case evaluation, please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at 713-850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Happens If You Get Hit By An Uninsured Driver In Texas?
- What Will It Cost Me To Hire An Attorney In A Truck Accident Case?
- My Loved One Was Killed In A Truck Accident, Am I Able To Sue?
- What is ‘Loss of Future Earning Capacity’ & How Does it Apply to Injury Cases?
- How Long Do You Have to File A Claim for A Slip and Fall Injury in Texas?