If a family member passed away because of negligence, the liable party should be held accountable. Please accept our condolences if you are mourning the loss of a loved one. A wrongful death lawyer will represent you and your family members so you may mourn in peace.
A wrongful death lawyer serving Brookshire, TX from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will help you by:
- Securing proof to hold the liable party or parties accountable
- Gathering experts and evidence for a strong insurance claim or a wrongful death lawsuit
- Seeking financial recovery on behalf of surviving family members
We invite you to call our firm at (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
How You Could Recover Damages in a Wrongful Death Action
As a surviving parent, spouse, or child of someone who wrongfully died due to the negligence of another, you may hold the liable party accountable and seek financial recovery.
As wrongful death lawyers serving Brookshire, we have seen many causes of wrongful death cases including:
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian, bicycle, and moped collisions
- Dog bites
- Workplace injuries
- Motorcycle accidents
- 18-wheeler and truck accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
You should not have to deal with insurance companies or the defendant’s lawyer alone. Our firm is ready to help you and your family through this challenging time. Please contact us today.
A wrongful death lawsuit must show that it is more likely than not that the defendant caused the death of your loved one. A wrongful death lawyer serving Brookshire, TX with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will prove that:
- The defendant owed a duty of care to your loved one but breached this duty of care.
- This breach caused your loved one to suffer bodily injury and die.
- You and other surviving family members now have damages in the form of loss of support, medical bills, mental anguish, and other losses.
How a Wrongful Death Lawyer May Show Liability
A wrongful death lawyer uses a variety of resources to prove liability, including:
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Medical records
- Expert testimony
- Relevant statutes
- Photos and videos
For example, if your loved one passed away because of nursing home abuse, a wrongful death lawyer serving Brookshire, TX may request statements from the staff, witnesses, medical records, and a subject matter expert on elder abuse.
Types of Recovery That May Be Pursued in a Wrongful Death Case
If your loved one passed away because of someone’s reckless action, you may be entitled to recover compensatory damages. These damages are generally confined to two types, special and general.
Special damages are specific expenses related to your loved one’s passing, such as:
- Hospital and doctor’s bills for medical care until your loved one’s passing
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of earnings and benefits over the course of a normal life expectancy
General damages are more challenging to quantify and include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium or companionship
A wrongful death lawyer serving Brookshire, TX from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will carefully assess your situation and pursue financial recovery. To find out more about how our wrongful death lawyers can help, please call (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
Factors That Impact Financial Recovery
It is difficult for you and your loved ones to imagine life without your lost family member. However, there are financial realities that must be considered. For example, a wrongful death lawyer will consider the economic loss if your loved one had young children. A wrongful death claim or lawsuit includes consideration of economic and intangible worth.
Economic worth is the predicted income, benefits, recovery, and other assets that a person would accumulate over the course of a normal lifetime. Noneconomic worth is the emotional impact that a lost parent, child, or spouse has on surviving family members.
Certain factors may affect the financial recovery for a wrongful death, such as:
- The age, gender, and overall health of your loved one at the time of passing
- Your loved one’s income, salary, inheritance, or financial contributions
- Your loved one’s predicted life expectancy
- The ages and financial needs of surviving family members
There are many steps in securing a valuation for a wrongful death claim or lawsuit. A lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will carefully assess your individual situation to determine the best possible outcome in this tragedy.
Parties That May File a Wrongful Death Claim
A wrongful death lawyer may only file a claim for the following surviving family members:
Wrongful death complaints usually begin as an insurance claim. For example, if your loved one passed away in a car accident, a wrongful death lawyer serving Brookshire, TX may seek recovery first through the defendant’s auto insurance coverage.
Our wrongful death lawyers will also take your case to trial if we cannot reach a satisfactory settlement. Texas statute of limitations grants a two-year statute of limitations for wrongful death lawsuits from the date of your loved one’s death.
Please call (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation and learn how our wrongful death lawyers may help you.
We Are Committed to Helping People Affected by Negligent Acts
Since 2002, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has helped countless clients with legal representation and exceptional client service. We are passionate about holding negligent parties accountable and pursuing the maximum recovery for our clients.
If someone’s negligent action caused the death of a family member, you deserve to fully understand your legal options. Please call (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation with a member of our firm.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Texas Have a Statute Of Limitations For Personal Injury Claims?
- What Happens If You’re Injured by a Drunk Driver Who Has No Car Insurance in Texas?
- How Do You Prove a Property Owner Was Negligent in a Premises Liability Case?
- Is Texas a No-Fault state?
- How Can D. Miller & Associates, PLLC Help Me With My UCLA Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?