Can You Recover Money for Lost Earnings After a Car Accident?

If you have been injured in a car accident in the state of Texas, at no fault of your own, you may be able to recover money for your lost earnings or wages.  Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may not be able to return to work, at least not right away, causing you to lose your earnings now and in the future. But there may be ways to replace that lost income.

The law firm of D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can help you explore your legal options in Texas. Call at us 713-850-8600 for a free consultation.

What Does Lost Earnings Include?

Lost earnings include any compensation you lost for the time you are spending away from your job, due to injuries you sustained in the car accident.

  • Current wage losses for time missed
  • Compensation for vacation or sick days
  • Loss of future earnings if unable to return to work
  • Reduced earning capacity if forced to take a lower-paying job
  • Loss of promotion
  • Loss of pension
  • Loss of benefits

Who Do I Hold Responsible for My Lost Earnings After a Car Accident in Texas?

If you are hurt in a car accident in Texas, and the other driver was at fault, then that driver is responsible for compensating you for your losses.

Drivers must carry a minimum amount of auto liability insurance, which pays other people’s medical expenses when the policyholder is the negligent party. But first, you must prove that the other driver was negligent and caused the accident.

We can help you pursue that case. Call us at 713-850-8600 for help.

How Do I Document Lost Wages After a Car Accident?

We may use several types of documentation to calculate your lost earnings and employment-related losses after a car accident.

  • Tax records
  • Wage statements
  • Check stubs
  • Letter from employer

Our lawyers investigate all aspects of your losses, including any expected bonuses you may lose because of your injuries. We will also study how your injuries affect your future earning potential by evaluating your career history, credentials, previous raises or advancement, and more.

How Do I Calculate Lost Income If I Am Self-Employed?

If you are self-employed, such as a freelancer, independent contractor, or sole proprietor, or do not work regular hours or even if you work strictly on commission, calculating your loss of income may be more difficult. We may rely on previous tax records and other documentation to establish your loss of income, but it varies from one case to the next.

Please call us at 713-850-8600 to discuss your case.

What if the At-Fault Driver’s Insurance Is Not Enough to Cover My Lost Wages & Other Costs?

If your injuries require a lengthy hospital stay or have long-lasting or permanent effects on your ability to work, you may be facing substantial wage losses.

In some cases, the other driver may lack sufficient liability insurance to cover all your lost earnings, not to mention your other damages like medical costs, pain and suffering, and more. In other cases, the driver may be uninsured.

In these cases, options to recover damages may include:

  • File a lawsuit against the at-fault driver
  • Your personal injury protection (PIP), if you have it
  • Your uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage, if you have it

We will explore all options available to you to help you cover your lost earnings and other damages.

If I Was Injured as a Passenger in a Car Accident, Am I Allowed to Sue for Loss Wages?

If you were a passenger when you were hurt in a car accident, you have the same right to pursue compensation from the at-fault driver’s liability insurance. Further, even if the person in whose car you were traveling was not at fault, that driver’s insurance may offer some coverage too.

The car accident lawyers at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can help you explore all legal options.

Is There a Deadline to File a Lawsuit for Lost Wages?

The statute of limitations to file a personal injury claim, through which you would seek lost earnings and other damages, is two years in Texas. If more than two years have passed, you may be unable to file the lawsuit.

Work with the car accident lawyers at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC. We will make sure you file your lawsuit on time and help you calculate the value of your lost earnings, including current and future employment-related losses.

The initial case evaluation is free. Call us at 713-850-8600.