You may be eligible to seek compensation for related expenses and losses if you slip and fall in a Texas Walmart store. Businesses that are open to the public have a legal responsibility to keep safe premises. This is true whether it is a national chain store like Walmart, a locally owned store, or a shopping mall.
If you have injuries related to a slip and fall accident in a Texas store, you might be eligible for compensation. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
Who Is Responsible for Potential Compensation if I Slip and Fall
If you fell because you acted illegally or recklessly, such as climbing on top of a tall display, you might not be able to seek compensation. However, if you slipped and fell because the store did not mop up a spilled liquid (for example), you could pursue compensation. Although the store did not intentionally mean to harm anyone, they are potentially at fault for your injuries.
Certain Conditions Determine Fault for a Slip and Fall in a Store:
- Did the store uphold its duty of care to provide a safe environment for the general public to shop?
- Was the store negligent in upholding this expected duty?
- Did the fall cause physical, emotional, or financial harm?
- Are there damages because of the accident?
Who May Be Responsible for Your Injuries
The employer is responsible for training and preparing employees to maintain a safe place for shoppers. Employees are supposed to follow safety protocols and react appropriately to prevent accidents. If you have been seriously injured, your main priority is feeling better and seeking compensation for expenses and losses. There are many things you should do after a slip and fall accident but turning to a slip and fall accident lawyer for help is a priority. Depending on your case, there could be more than one form of liability.
- Direct liability means that the store manager and employees could be held responsible for directly causing the accident, whether intentional or through negligence.
- Vicarious liability refers to a specific relationship between the defendant and another person or party.
- Respondeat Superior means that an employer is liable for the actions of its employees.
There is No Set Compensation Amount for Slip and Fall Accidents
There is not a predetermined amount because each situation is different. A law firm that handles slip and fall accidents can tell you of what kinds of compensation are considered when seeking damages. Slip and fall injury cases in Texas vary in worth. In general, slip and fall claims include:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Punitive damages
How We Can Show the Store Is At-Fault
There are several ways to determine if the store is at fault. First, huge stores like Walmart have closed-circuit security cameras. Your accident was probably recorded. It is also possible that someone caught the accident on a cell phone. A lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will request a copy of the store’s security video, the accident report, and any witness statements, videos, or photographs.
A Slip and Fall Case Does Not Always Lead to a Lawsuit
Many slip and fall accidents are settled out of the courtroom. However, you should speak with a Texas slip and fall accident lawyer before accepting payment from an insurance company or making any statements.
Speak to a Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer As Soon As Possible
Texas allows two years from the date of the accident to file a civil lawsuit. However, if you have accepted an offer from an insurance company, you give up the chance to file a lawsuit. That is why you should not hesitate to speak with a slip and fall accident lawyer about your legal options. We cannot guarantee the outcome of any settlement or lawsuit, but we know the law and will seek compensation for your expenses and losses.
You Can Afford a Slip and Fall Lawyer
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, you do not pay attorney fees unless we are successful in getting you compensation. We have successfully resolved many slip and fall cases. You should not have to deal with an insurance company while you are recovering from injuries. Let us help.
We offer a free, no-obligation case evaluation so you can make an informed decision. Call us at (713) 850-3600 today.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Happens If You Were Breaking a Texas Bicycle Law During Your Accident Injury?
- What Happens If Your Car Accident Was Caused By A Defect Or Repair Mistake In Texas?
- Can I Sue for Lost Wages Resulting from a Truck Accident in Houston?
- How Much of a Settlement Should I Expect for A Herniated Disk?
- What Types Of Accidents Are Most Likely To Cause A Serious Head Or Brain Injury In Texas?