How Do I Get a Police Report for a Car Accident in Fort Worth?

You can get a police report for a car accident in Fort Worth by contacting the Fort Worth Police Department online, by telephone, by mail, or in person. Car accident reports are not always available immediately, so you may have to wait up to ten days to get the report that you requested.

You may find and receive your police report more quickly if you have the report number available.

Ways that you can request a police report for a Fort Worth car accident

The Fort Worth Police Department maintains records of police reports for the City of Fort Worth. You can get a police report for a car accident in Fort Worth in four different ways.

Getting a police report in Fort Worth online

First, you can get a police report from the Fort Worth Police Department online through their website, which is located at: Choose the tab at the far left of the page entitled “How Do I . . .?” Then use the dropdown menu to choose “Get a copy of my accident report.”

Search for your accident report by filling out one or more of the fields of requested information. You can most easily search if you have the accident report number available. However, if you do not have that number, you can search by filling in at least two of the following fields, in addition to “intersecting street”:

  • Incident date
  • Incident location
  • Intersecting street
  • Involved last name
  • Involved driver’s license
  • Insurance company

Then click “show search results.” Select your report from the available results. You must create an account (if you do not already have one) using your name and contact information. You then must use a credit card to purchase the report, which costs $11.00. Then, you should receive the report in PDF format at the email address that you provided.

Getting a police report in Fort Worth by mail or in person

You can get a police report in person at the Fort Worth Police Department, which is located at 1000 Calvert Street, Fort Worth, TX  76107. Reports are available weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You also can request a police report by mail or email if you send in the following to the police department:

  • Name
  • Date of accident
  • Report number
  • Location of accident
  • Your email address (if you want to receive it via email)
  • The required $11.00 fee via credit card, cashier’s check, or money order

You can download and complete a Police Records Request Order Form at the Department website to request a police report by mail.

Getting a police report in Fort Worth by telephone

You also can get a police report for a car accident in Fort Worth or check on the status of a police report request by calling the Department at (817) 392-4160.

How to get a police report for a car accident in Tarrant County

If your accident occurred in Tarrant County, you can get a copy of your accident report from the Tarrant County Sheriff’s Department, Records Division, which is located at 200 Taylor Street, 6th floor, Fort Worth, TX 76196. You also can request a report by FAX at (817) 884-2939 or by email at

Getting a police report from a car accident that occurred anywhere in the state of Texas

You can use the TxDOT Crash Report Online Purchase System (CRIS) to request police reports for car accidents that occurred statewide after 2018. You may not be able to find an accident report until at least 14 days after the date that an accident happens. An uncertified electronic copy of a report costs $6.00, and a certified copy costs $8.00. This records service is available seven days per week, 24 hours per day.

Who can get a police report for a car accident in Fort Worth?

Only certain people can get a copy of a car accident report in Fort Worth. You must certify that you fall within one of the following categories under Texas Transportation Code §550.065 (c)(4) to get a police report:

  • Anyone involved in the accident, whether a driver or passenger
  • The authorized representative of someone involved in the accident
  • A parent, guardian, or employer of a driver involved in the accident
  • The owner of a vehicle or any property damaged in the accident
  • Anyone who held insurance on a vehicle involved in the accident and any insurance company that covered a vehicle or person involved in the accident
  • Licensed media outlets
  • Anyone who could sue in the case of a fatal accident

Contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ to learn more about your legal case

A police report that a law enforcement officer files after a car accident can be important evidence in your legal case. Knowing how to get a police report for a car accident in Fort Worth can be critical to investigating your accident.

Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ today at (713) 850-8600 for a case evaluation. Get more information about your rights to a financial recovery if you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident.