An auto insurance policy is a contract between you and the insurance company. As a part of that contract, you are likely obligated to cooperate with them after a car accident in Texas involving a vehicle they cover. This means you will need to notify them about your accident as soon as possible.
However, you do not have to answer their questions immediately following an accident. We recommend discussing your case with a car accident attorney first and then following their advice about how to deal with your insurance company after an auto accident. Call our firm of personal injury lawyers today at 713-850-8600 to receive the help you need.
Your Insurance Company Will Likely Want Answers
Your insurance company will likely want to get as much information from you as possible about your accident, even if the other driver caused the accident and you will be pursuing damages through their auto insurance company. There is no reason you have to answer these questions right away.
You can tell them that you would rather wait and discuss your case with your attorney first. Be polite, but firm. Your attorney can handle ensuring they get the answers they need or direct you to answer questions. This may include:
- When the accident occurred.
- Where the accident happened.
- Who was in your vehicle at the time.
- Who was in the other vehicle at the time.
- Who was driving each vehicle.
- Who responded to the accident.
- The name of the responding officer, if possible.
You never need to state your opinion about what caused the accident or who is liable. If there are questions of shared fault, your attorney can address these.
Reasons Your Insurance Company May Want More Information
There are a number of situations where your insurance company may need to know more about the accident:
- The other driver is uninsured.
- The other driver did not have the required insurance coverage.
- The other driver did not have enough coverage.
- The other party blames you for causing the accident.
- You caused the damage to your vehicle and need to file a claim based on your comprehensive coverage.
If your insurance company has questions above and beyond the basic facts of the case, your attorney can help you figure out the best way to handle the situation. You will need to provide the insurance company with the answers they need while continuing to protect your right to recover damages.
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC Can Help You Deal With the Insurer
For more than 15 years, the team from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has fought to protect the rights of car accident victims. With more than seven decades of combined experience, our attorneys have helped more than 36,000 clients file a claim and pursue damages, so they can surely assist you in dealing with your insurance company after an auto accident.
When you enlist our help on your car accident case, we will go to work for you immediately. We can answer all your questions and concerns. We will help you deal with your insurance company after the auto accident, in addition to pursuing a recovery that includes medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- My Child Was Injured At School – Can I Sue?
- What Qualities Should You Look For When Hiring A Personal Injury Lawyer In Houston?
- How Do You Go About Getting Compensated For A Car Accident Injury In Texas?
- What Should You Do If You Are Injured as a Pedestrian Accident In Texas?
- How Long Do Slip And Fall Injury Cases Take In Texas?