What Happens If You’re Injured by a Drunk Driver Who Has No Car Insurance in Texas?

Your first step is to see a doctor or medical professional. If you are recovering from injuries at home or in the hospital, keep track of your medical bills. Your next action is to speak with an attorney who can explain your legal options.

The law firm of D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has helped many clients throughout Texas in similar situations. Please call for a free case evaluation at (713) 850-8600.

It is Illegal to Drive Without Auto Insurance

Like most states, Texas requires that drivers carry a minimum amount of auto insurance to cover property damage and personal liability. Uninsured motorists could pay up to $1,100 in fines and have surcharges added to their driver license renewal.

Who Pays for your Medical Bills and Other Expenses if the At-Fault Driver is Uninsured

Chances are, your personal auto policy covers uninsured drivers, even if you carry the minimum insurance amount. You could file a claim on your uninsured driver policy or file a lawsuit against the other driver. There may be other at-fault parties. A car accident lawyer in Texas can advise you on all your options.

DWI Charges Do Not Include Compensation to the Injured Parties

DWI (Driving While Intoxicated)

is a separate, criminal offense. Any fines, jail sentences, or other punitive damages for a DWI generally do not include compensation to the injured party. However, you may file a civil lawsuit seeking compensation regardless of criminal charges or convictions.

How Realistic it is to File a Lawsuit Against an Uninsured Driver

It is our experience that if a person does not have auto insurance, he or she does not have much money. Even if you won the civil lawsuit, you might never recover compensation. There are exceptions, such as a person of means who forgets to renew the insurance policy. That is why we invite you to call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation to discuss your legal options.

You Likely Have Uninsured Driver Coverage

It is likely that you have uninsured drivers’ insurance because it is standard practice for all policies. You could have access to $30,000 or more depending on your coverage. You may file a claim that can help pay for accident-related expenses like medical bills, car repairs, and lost wages.

How to File a Claim for an Uninsured Driver

A car accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can review your auto policy to find out if you have uninsured drivers’ coverage. If you do, we can file the claim for you. You should not have to deal with an insurance company while you are recuperating from your injuries.

We review the specifics of your accident, including:

  • To what extent is the drunk driver responsible for the accident?
  • How severe are your injuries?
  • Is your car totaled?
  • Have you missed work because of the accident?

Then we compile all expenses and bills related to the accident and send them to the insurance company. We take care of the details of filing a claim and talking to a claims adjuster. You do not pay attorney fees unless we are successful in recovering compensation for you.

You May Seek Compensation even if You Are Partly Responsible for the Accident

If the other driver was intoxicated, it is likely that he or she is entirely at fault for the accident. If you contributed to the collision but are less than 51 percent responsible, you can seek compensation. This is called a modified comparative negligence law. You should also know that Texas has a statute of limitations of two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit.

Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC for Any Further Questions You Have

  1. Miller & Associates, PLLC is a Texas law firm serving clients in the Lone Star State for 16 years. We have a team of lawyers, investigators, and other legal professionals who have helped car accident victims recover compensation.

Filing insurance claims can be confusing especially if you are still healing from the accident. We are here to help. We can help you guide you through what happens after you were hit by an uninsured driver in Texas. For a free case evaluation, please contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600.