There is no average time to settle a personal injury case in Texas. Each personal injury case is unique. You should keep in mind that Texas imposes a two-year deadline to file a personal injury lawsuit. This does not mean that a settlement or verdict occurs within this time. If you try to file a lawsuit after two years, it will be dismissed.
Generally speaking, it takes less time to settle with an insurance company than to take a case to trial.
Personal Injury Case Settlement Timeline
The timeline for a personal injury case settlement in Texas typically starts with selecting a personal injury lawyer. It is important that you choose a personal injury lawyer who has handled similar cases to your own. You also should look for a law firm with the resources to start on your case right away.
Each law firm has its own policies about free consultations. Our personal injury lawyers in Texas offer a free case evaluation and work on a contingency basis. We encourage you to learn all you can about a firm, its fee structure, and practice areas.
Typical Process for a Personal Injury Case
You deserve to know the process of your case, from the first evaluation to the settlement. Here is a general overview of our process after your free case evaluation with a personal injury lawyer in Texas:
- Determine liability to see if you qualify for compensation.
- Assess your injuries and property damage.
- Compile medical bills and other expenses.
- Investigate the cause and circumstances of your injury.
- Submit a detailed claim to the liable party’s insurance company.
- Negotiate an acceptable settlement for your physical, emotional, and financial damages.
In a perfect world, this process should not take exceptionally long. We do all we can to streamline our internal procedures and responsibilities. However, there are several factors that we cannot control, including:
- Timeliness of insurance adjuster in returning calls and reviewing documents.
- Getting medical records and evaluations from your healthcare provider.
- Requesting permission or information from law enforcement or the court (for example, checking to see if a driver’s license is valid).
Complex Cases With Multiple Parties Can Affect Average Time to Settle
Since 2002, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC have handled all kinds of personal injury cases in Texas. There is no predetermined schedule for reaching an acceptable settlement in a personal injury case in Texas.
Factors That Might Influence the Time to Settle Personal Injury Cases in Texas
In our experience, there can be certain factors that influence the time to settle a personal injury case.
These factors include:
- Severity of your injuries
- Duration of your treatment
- Number of liable parties and/or involved participants
- Availability of witnesses
- Number of law enforcement or other entities involved
- Events beyond human control (for example, hurricanes that disrupt power)
Even if you are recuperating in the hospital or at home, our personal injury lawyers in Texas can get to work right away on your case. However, catastrophic injuries can make determining damages more challenging. We want to make sure that you recover maximum compensation for lost pay, reduced earning capacity, and other losses.
The average time to settle a personal injury case also depends on the number of defendants. For example, if you were hit by a city bus, our personal injury lawyers could pursue compensation from the driver and the proper municipality.
It can also take time to interview witnesses if we believe that their statements are incomplete or inaccurate. If you were in an auto accident, it can take up to ten days for law enforcement to submit an accident report.
Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Texas Are Ready to Help You
We understand that you may be recuperating from your injuries. You might not be able to work, and you could be worried about medical bills and other expenses. We know you want to return to your daily activities and put the accident behind you. Our personal injury lawyers are ready to help you recover for your injuries.
Contact Our Legal Team to Get Started
Miller & Associates, PLLC was founded to help injured men and women. We have recovered compensation for our clients because we understand and practice many types of personal injury cases. Please contact our personal injury lawyers in Texas for a free case evaluation. Please call (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- How Many Victims Have Filed Charges Against UCLA?
- What Are Your Legal Rights If Your Child Was Injured or Killed Riding A Bicycle in Texas?
- What Qualities Should You Look For When Hiring A Personal Injury Lawyer In Houston?
- Can I Sue My Employer If I Am Injured at Work?
- Do You Need To Hire A Lawyer To Recover Money For A Slip And Fall Injury?