If you notice symptoms of whiplash after a car accident, you should:
- Seek immediate medical attention.
- Follow through with your treatment plan.
- Consider your legal options.
A medical professional can diagnose your injury and prevent your condition from getting worse. When you partner with a lawyer, they can recoup the cost of your injury-related expenses.
What Is Whiplash?
Your head is supported by a network of muscles, bones, and tissue. When your neck forcefully snaps back and forth, this can damage those components. Mayo Clinic notes that rear-end collisions commonly cause these injuries.
Whiplash generally heals on its own. However, in serious situations, it may require intensive medical care.
What Are the Symptoms of Whiplash?
Car accident victims may notice—but not recognize—the symptoms of whiplash. Whiplash symptoms can include:
- A limited range of motion in your neck
- Neck pain
- Neck stiffness
- Difficulty concentrating
- Tenderness around your neck and upper back
- Changes in vision
- Unusual sensations, like tingling and numbness in your extremities
- Deep headaches
- Cognitive changes
Do not dismiss such symptoms. If left untreated, whiplash symptoms may become worse. Whiplash may also accompany serious conditions, like traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
You Should Seek Medical Attention if You Suffered Whiplash
BMC Public Health notes that, without appropriate medical care, you could struggle with whiplash for years. When you visit a healthcare provider, they will:
- Diagnose your conditions (including whiplash)
- Provide a clear treatment plan for your injuries
- Establish a record of your injuries
- Recommend physical therapy
- Schedule follow-up appointments
The third point is crucial. If you seek financial recovery for your injuries, it’s vital to document when your injury happened. The date of your diagnosis is a key piece of your civil case.
What Treatment May Your Doctor Recommend?
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) lists several treatments for whiplash, including:
- Range-of-motion exercises: These exercises may help you regain flexibility and reduce pain in the affected areas.
- Pain medication and anti-inflammatory drugs: Your doctor may prescribe one or more medications to reduce your pain.
- Physical therapy: You may work with licensed therapists to improve your condition.
- Rest and heat application: You may need a cervical collar to stabilize your head and neck.
- Lifestyle changes. Your doctor may recommend refraining from certain activities (or changing jobs) while you recover.
Every person with whiplash requires an individual evaluation. Your doctor will create a treatment plan consistent with your symptoms.
Consider Connecting with a Whiplash Injury Lawyer
If you suffered whiplash (or another injury) in a collision, you have the right to partner with a lawyer.
When building your case, our team will consider:
- The severity of your injuries
- Your accident-related losses
- Potential future damages from your accident, like ongoing medical costs
- The amount of coverage that insurance provides
Our attorneys know the many challenges associated with car accident cases. With our team on your side, we’ll identify what measures could recover damages.
A Lawyer Can Recover These Whiplash-Related Damages
Recoverable losses in a case involving whiplash may include:
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience
- Medical expenses (present and future)
- Counseling, medications, and other treatments
- Chiropractic care and physical therapy
- Vehicle damage expenses
- Lost income
- Loss of future earning power
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Disability and disfigurement
You may have additional losses. We’ll consider all of your damages when building your case.
What a Car Accident Lawyer Can Do for You
Seeking medical attention and recovering from your injuries is already taking up a lot of your time. Adding a complex car accident case can overwhelm you.
When you partner with our law firm, we will:
- Investigate your car accident
- Identify all liable parties
- Determine the cost of your losses
- File your insurance claim or lawsuit
- Deal with insurance companies
- Gather and preserve evidence
- Obtain proof of your losses
- Initiate settlement talks
- Complete a trial if necessary
- Protect your rights
We may hire experts and investigators to support your case even further. We strive to be a strong ally for car accident victims.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ for a free case evaluation
Our team is available around the clock to answer your questions and address your concerns. D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ has a team of car accident lawyers ready to advocate for you. Our goal is to recover the damages you need to pay for your medical bills and other related expenses.
If you suffered whiplash after a car accident (or another type of injury), we’re ready to hear your story. To start your free case evaluation, dial 1(855) PRO-LAWYERS.