It is a hit and run accident when a driver hits another car, person, animal, or property, then flees the scene without giving insurance information or first aid. If you were injured in a hit and run accident, get medical care for yourself and other injured people. After you have seen a healthcare professional, call a hit and run accident lawyer in Texas. An attorney can protect your rights.
Stay Calm and Stay at the Scene
If your car was struck by a hit and run driver, do not give chase. Any driver who causes an accident and flees the scene could be dangerous. You also legally must stay at the scene and wait for law enforcement. If you can drive your car, move it to the side of the road.
Get as Much Evidence as Possible
If you are able, document as much evidence as possible. Use your cell phone for pictures and notes to help police track down the offender. You can include such information as:
- Photos of external and internal damage of your car
- Location using street signs, mile markers, and landmarks for orientation of the accident scene
- Note the date and time of the accident
- Write down any information you remember about the car or the driver including the make, model, color, bumper stickers, and any other identifying marks
It is possible that traffic cameras may have photographed the vehicle if the driver was speeding or ran a red light.
Recovering Compensation for Your Injuries in a Hit and Run Accident
In a normal car accident, both drivers exchange phone numbers and insurance information. It is a little more complicated when a driver flees the scene. If the driver has not been apprehended, we will explore your options coverage. A hit and run lawyer in Texas can help you prepare and file your claim. This will help cover accident expenses such as:
- Medical bills including ambulance and emergency department services
- Car repair, rental, or replacement
- Lost wages
Apprehended Hit and Run Drivers May Be Held Liable for Your Damages
In addition to facing fines and jail time, hit and run drivers can be held responsible for damages from your physical, mental, and financial injuries. You may seek compensation from the other driver’s insurance coverage. D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has helped injured accident victims recover more than $250 million in settlements and verdicts. We will explore all the compensation options to help you.
Showing Liability in a Hit and Run Accident
Whether your car was sideswiped on the road or damaged while parked, you could be eligible to seek compensation for a hit and run accident. If you were severely injured, you could be facing significant medical bills and an extended recovery period. The last thing you need is a financial hardship. We can help you pay for medical bills, car repairs, and other expenses.
Our Recommendations if You Were Injured in a Hit and Run Accident
- Get medical care and follow your healthcare professional’s recommendations
- Keep all related receipts and bills associated with the accident
- Give the police any information you can about the driver or vehicle
- Call us for a free case evaluation
- Talk to an insurance adjuster without consulting us
- Share your entire medical history with the insurance adjuster
- Post about your accident on social media
- Attempt to find the driver on your own
The Reason Some Drivers Hit and Run
Most Texas drivers do the right thing and remain at the scene of an accident to exchange insurance information and give a statement to the police. Unfortunately, there are several nefarious reasons why some drivers flee the scene, including:
- Suspended or lost driver’s license
- No auto insurance
- Stolen vehicle
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Committing a crime
- Outstanding arrest warrant
- Company car driven without permission
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC for a Free Case Evaluation
We help hit and run accident victims protect their rights. Call (713) 850-8600 to schedule your free evaluation.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Do I Do If I Was a Victim of Sexual Assault While in College?
- How Much Should You Expect in A Commercial Uber Accident Settlement In Texas?
- What Do I and My Lawyer Need to File Against UCLA for Sexual Abuse?
- How Many Victims Have Filed Charges Against UCLA?
- How Long Do I Have To File A Lawsuit After A Truck Accident In Houston?