The first thing you should do when you slip and fall in a store in Texas is to seek medical care. If you are laying on the ground and unable to get up, do not try to move. Call an ambulance and remain in your position until medical professionals arrive. Do not delay your medical treatment. Seek help as soon as possible from medical professionals.
Take Note of Your Accident
If you are able to comprehend what happened to you, then note your surroundings and the environment. Ask yourself the following questions:
- How did I slip?
- What conditions led to my fall?
- Who was with me during my fall?
- Were there any other witnesses?
- Could my fall have been prevented?
- Where am I experiencing pain?
When you have a chance, try to document what you remember about the accident focusing on the circumstances that led to your injuries and who may be liable for your fall.
Report the Accident
Regardless of where your accident occurred, make sure you report it to the person who is in charge of the property. Try to submit a report to the person with the highest level of authority such as a property manager, owner, landlord, or staff supervisor.
You may also want to ask the property owner or manager to submit a detailed accident report as well. The report should include what happened and what led to the accident. The owner or manager should fill out the report and hand it to you before you leave the property.
Gather All Medical Documents
You should gather all medical documents related to your accident. Documents include:
- Diagnosis and treatment reports
- Medical bills
- Receipts & invoices
- Notes of verbal conversations
- Physical therapy or rehabilitation bills and progress reports
These documents will reflect the cause of your injuries.
Explore Your Legal Options
If you sustained injuries from your slip and fall accident due to the negligence of a property manager, owner, or employee, you will want to explore your legal options.
If the property owner was at fault for your accident and subsequent injuries, you may be able to negotiate a settlement with their insurance company.
Avoid Giving Any Official Statements
Limit your communication with anyone who may be involved in the accident. Decline to give statements to the property owner or manager, any witnesses, or insurance companies. Doing so may hurt your case, if you decide to file a claim.
The more information you provide to another party, the more the information could be used to invalidate your claim. You may also want to refrain from making any public statements on social media or elsewhere.
Call a Slip and Fall Attorney in Texas
Before you make any legal decisions such as filing a claim with the insurance company, you may want to contact an attorney. A slip and fall attorney can meet with you to go over the details of the accident, answer your questions, and help you explore your legal options.
An attorney will also provide the following legal services:
- Manage your case for you
- Act as your legal representative when communicating with the at-fault party, insurance company, or any other entities associated with your case
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company
- File a lawsuit against the responsible party, if necessary
- Handle your case ethically and legally
- Help you win your case and get the settlement you deserve
You have a limited time to file a slip and fall lawsuit in Texas. Act quickly.
Hire a Slip and Fall Attorney Today
- Miller & Associates, PLLC offers legal services for victims of slip and fall cases in Texas. Our law firm can work with you to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance companies.
To find out more about how we can help you file your claim, contact us today at 713-850-8600 to set up a free, no-obligation case evaluation.