Bicycle-versus-auto crashes most commonly occur at low speeds, but they can still cause serious injuries to the cyclist. If you suffered injuries in this type of crash in Texas, you can try to hold the at-fault motorist liable for the expenses and losses you experienced as a result of the accident. A bicycle accident lawyer in Cypress, TX, can help you file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit that might allow you to recover compensation.
At D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, we can help you understand what caused your accident, identify the at-fault driver, and explain what we think you should do to build a strong case for the recovery you deserve. We offer free case reviews and handle bicycle accident claims on a contingency basis.
Damages Available Following a Cypress Bicycle Accident
We fight aggressively to recover compensation for our clients. Our goal is to help you reach a resolution. These damages vary from case to case, and they depend on the nature and severity of your injuries, the losses you suffered, and other details.
In general, some of the most common recoverable damages:
- Medical care and related costs;
- Rehabilitation and therapy expenses;
- Ongoing care costs, if necessary;
- Prescription drug expenses, including pain-management drugs;
- Lost wages;
- Diminished earning capacity;
- Required home or vehicle modifications related;
- Out-of-pocket incidental expenses related to the accident;
- Pain and suffering damages;
- Mental anguish;
- Other emotional damages; and
Some people involved in this type of accident try to handle their insurance settlement on their own. The at-fault driver’s insurance company may have offered a settlement that seems fair, in order to get you to sign an agreement. However, they are often not fair and will not cover your damages.
This is why we encourage you to give us a call before signing anything or agreeing to a settlement. We investigate every claim, so we can build a strong argument proving the motorist’s liability and your right to a recovery.
Proving Negligence and Liability in a Cypress Bicycle Accident
Before we can build a strong case, we must identify and collect the evidence to prove negligence and liability in your accident. This requires us to prove many things including if the at-fault driver:
- Had a responsibility to share the road with you in a safe a reasonable manner;
- Failed to drive reasonably and keep you safe;
- This led to your accident and injuries; and
- You suffered compensable damages.
If we show this, we can show the driver who hit you acted negligently. Proving negligence is a crucial step to holding an at-fault party liable. Once we prove how they caused your accident, we can file your insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
We fully investigate every case we handle, identifying, collecting, and analyzing evidence to support your case. Our process often includes:
- Getting the police report;
- Surveying and documenting the accident scene;
- Reviewing witness statements;
- Working with accident reconstruction specialists;
- Analyzing video of the accident, when possible;
- Working with experts to understand your injuries and ongoing care needs; and
- Collecting bills, receipts, and other documentation of your damages.
Understanding the Bicycle Accident Claims Process in Texas
Under Texas auto insurance regulations, all drivers must to carry at least a minimum amount of auto liability insurance. This coverage helps compensate accident victims for their injuries when the driver causes a crash. We try to prove your case to the insurance company, to recover from this policy.
Filing an Insurance Claim to Try to Recover Compensation
Almost every bicycle accident case we handle begins with us filing an insurance claim based on the at-fault driver’s auto liability policy. To file your claim, we will:
- Send a demand letter to the insurer outlining our case against the policyholder;
- Outline our case against the at-fault driver;
- Provide evidence of your expenses and losses;
- Negotiate a settlement agreement, if possible.
While there is no guarantee, we often are able to reach a settlement agreement. If we cannot, we will not hesitate to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit to Try to Get a Payout
If the insurance company denies your claim, or it refuses to offer a fair settlement agreement, we can file a lawsuit. We base these personal injuries lawsuits on negligence.
Sometimes, filing a lawsuit will prompt the insurance company to respond to your claim. If we proceed to court, we will present your case and fight for you!
Talk to a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Cypress About Your Crash
If a careless or reckless driver in Cypress caused your bicycle accident and your injuries, the personal injury team from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC, will help you and try to hold the at-fault motorist responsible. We will review your situation and explain your options. We offer free case reviews.
Call us today at 713-850-8600 to meet with a member of our team in Cypress.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Is It Too Late to Sue USC for the George Tyndall Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?
- Can I Sue If My Hip Replacement Gets Infected?
- What Should You Do After a Motorcycle Accident?
- How Do You Know If You’ve Been Injured By a Defective Medical Device?
- What Happens If Your Car Accident Was Caused By A Defect Or Repair Mistake In Texas?