If you have been injured in an accident, you may be able to pursue a recovery for your medical expenses and other damages. A personal injury lawyer in Pasadena, TX at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® can help you file a lawsuit and guide you through litigation to protect your rights under Texas law.
Our law firm offers legal services for victims who have personal injuries caused by an accident. To schedule an initial consultation, contact our law office today.
Are You Eligible to File a Lawsuit for Your Injuries?
If you are unsure that you are eligible to file a lawsuit for your injuries, you may want to seek legal counsel from a Pasadena, TX personal injury attorney. When you call for a free, no-obligation consultation with a D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® team member, we can go over the details of your case.
You may be eligible to file a lawsuit if you were injured due to the following:
- Negligence: Someone failed to take proper care of their actions or property.
- Premises Liability: You sustained injuries on someone else’s business or personal property.
- Equipment Failure: Malfunctioning equipment led to your injuries.
Confronted with that list, you may still be unsure if your case qualifies, which is understandable. Even if you are not sure what exactly happened to cause your injuries, if you have your suspicions, bring them to us. We can investigate those suspicions to compile evidence of negligence.
What Should You do if You Were Hurt in an Accident?
What you should do if you were injured is focus on your recovery. To help you do that, we can take over the work of pursuing your case. Although you may want to establish who is at fault and how you want to pursue compensation, we can take that responsibility off you and pick up the mantle ourselves.
If you require legal assistance, a D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® attorney can guide you through the legal process. Here are some steps we can take during litigation:
- Gather evidence from the scene of the accident.
- Interview eyewitnesses from the scene of the accident.
- Gather documents, including the police report, medical bills, and legal documents.
- Collect contact information from law enforcement, eyewitnesses, insurance companies, and medical experts.
- Take notes on all correspondence and significant events that occurred after the accident.
- Consult doctors, economists, actuaries, and other experts to provide supporting evidence for your case.
- Talk to insurance adjusters, liable parties, and attorneys for the other side, handling phone calls, emails, and other communication.
- File the claim with the courts and inform the defendant.
Once our Pasadena injury lawyers help you file the claim, we begin working on a legal strategy for your case. We will probe further into the facts and continue gathering information until we have everything we need to solidify your case.
Will Your Personal Injury Case Go to Trial?
Most personal injury lawsuits settle before trial. A settlement is reached when you and the defendant agree on a financial award for your injuries. In most cases, a settlement is more favorable for both parties.
A trial will only prolong the process and does not guarantee that you will receive a recovery for your injuries. Trials can also be costly and stressful for both sides. We take advantage of this fear and frequently reach out to negotiate on your behalf. However, we are willing to go as far as it takes to obtain your financial recovery.
Whether you reach a settlement or go to trial, our attorneys will act in your best interest so that your rights are protected under Texas law. Our personal injury lawyers in Pasadena will work to reach a settlement with the defendant that gives you the financial recovery you desire. Call our law offices to discuss your legal options for your personal injury caused by an accident in Pasadena, Texas.
What Are You Legally Entitled to Claim in Your Lawsuit?
Whether you settle out of court or win your case in trial, you may be entitled to the following damages:
- Economic Losses: If you win your case, you may receive a recovery for hospital expenses, extended medical care, lost wages, and any property damages that occurred during the accident.
- Personal Damages: You could be awarded financial recovery for your physical pain, emotional and mental turmoil, or terminal bodily injuries.
- Punitive Damages: The court may award you additional recovery if we establish certain factors.
We are often asked how much victims will receive in each category, but it greatly depends on the circumstances of each case. This is a good thing — victims receive financial recovery that matches their experience.
For instance, dog bite injuries differ from swimming pool ones, despite both being forms of premises liability. Dog bites carry the risk of infection; the Cleveland Clinic reports that 50 percent of bites introduce bacteria to your system. Preventative shots or antibiotics may be your primary expense. By contrast, a swimming pool accident could cause a spinal cord injury, which has lifelong implications.
Our personal injury lawyers treat each case individually, assessing your needs both now and in the future to arrive at a unique amount of financial recovery.
The Difference Between Economic Losses and Personal Damages
Economic losses are often tied to a specific amount, such as the cost of a piece of medical equipment or the amount of hourly wages you lost while recovering in the hospital. By contrast, personal damages are tied to your experiences, emotions, and psychological injuries.
To ensure your financial recovery accurately reflects both areas, we work closely with you as well as experts, arguing for all facets of your experience to be taken seriously. Even if something does not have a tangible price tag attached to it, it can still be acknowledged in your case.
The Statute of Limitations on Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Texas
Under Texas law, the Statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit is two years from the time of the accident.
If two years have passed, and you still feel that you have a case, you should not hesitate in consulting with a personal injury lawyer. A Pasadena injury attorney can help you determine if you should file a lawsuit.
Types of Personal Injury Lawsuits You Can Claim
Our law firm represents clients who have been in a wide range of accidents. Some of the most common claims come from the following accidents involving:
- Passenger vehicles
- 18-wheelers and other trucks
Our personal injury attorneys care about these roadway accident cases and are eager to help victims like you. We can reconstruct the accident to trace the steps that led to your injuries, as well as identify the role drivers, poor road maintenance, or faulty auto parts played in the accident.
However, personal injury is a broad category that can also include cases of:
- Medical malpractice
- Defective medical devices
- Defective products
- Dog bites
- Slip and fall cases
- Swimming pool accidents
- Other premises liability cases
- Construction site accidents
- Sports injuries
For instance, if your child was the victim of a birth injury leading to a cerebral palsy diagnosis, we can pursue the doctor and other staff for the part they played. Likewise, dog bite cases can hold owners responsible for bites and other injuries caused by an attack.
When in doubt, ask! We can clarify what cases may qualify for a personal injury claim or lawsuit. What’s more, asking is free — we are available 24/7 by phone and offer free case evaluations.
What Forms of Negligence Play a Role in Personal Injury Cases?
To have the grounds for a personal injury case, we have to be able to point to a specific form of carelessness that caused your injuries. Common forms of negligence include:
- Vehicle: The other driver was negligent, reckless, or had a DUI. Vehicle accidents can also be caused by mechanical failure.
- Slip and Fall: You may have slipped and fallen while on someone else’s residential or commercial property.
- Premises Liability: There may have hazards on the property that caused your injury.
- Workplace Accidents: You may have been injured on the job due to a hazardous work environment or the negligence of a co-worker.
- Sports Injuries: You have sustained injuries from a competitor, faulty equipment, or improper training.
As you can see, there is variation even within each category of personal injury. We get to work investigating the root cause of your injuries, compiling evidence to connect another party’s poor choice to your inuries and pain.
What if Your Insurance Company Will Not Cover a Claim?
In some personal injury cases, the insurance company may need to compensate you for your expenses. The provider may refuse to pay your full damages or only give you a fraction of what you deserve.
In such cases, we can engage with your insurance company to negotiate a settlement. Our personal injury lawyers will also explore other options to help you receive financial recovery for your damages.
Call for a Consultation With a Personal Injury Team Member in Pasadena, Texas
If you are suffering from a personal injury, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC® can help you file your lawsuit. Get a free, no-obligation consultation from a member of our personal injury team in Pasadena, TX today.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Who Is at Fault in a Right Turn Car Accident?
- What Happens When You Get in a Car Accident With No Insurance in Texas?
- I Was Just Injured In A Truck Accident, What Should I Do?
- What Are Some Questions to Ask a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Who Do You Sue If Your Car Accident Was Caused By A Tire Blowout in Texas?