UPDATE: Welcome to our page with information about Paxil claims. We are no longer accepting cases regarding this drug. However, if you have any additional inquries or questions concerning other drug cases or legal matters that we can assist you with, please contact us today via phone or the contact form on this page.
If you or someone you know took the medication Paxil while pregnant, you might qualify for a Paxil lawsuit. In multiple studies, Paxil has been shown to cause birth defects in infants when the mother took Paxil at any time throughout the pregnancy. If you took Paxil and your child was born with certain defects, you may be eligible to file a Paxil Lawsuit.
What is Paxil
Paxil (paroxetine) is an antidepressant belonging to a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Paroxetine was approved by the FDA for use by the public in December 1992.
Paxil affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced. Paxil is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
Paroxetine affects neurotransmitters, the chemicals that nerves within the brain use to communicate with each other. Thus, neurotransmitters can be thought of as the communication system of the brain.
Serotonin is one neurotransmitter that is released by nerves in the brain, and is considered to be the neurotransmitter that is most critical for maintaining mental health.
Many experts believe that an imbalance among neurotransmitters is the cause of depression. Paroxetine works by preventing the reuptake serotonin, by nerve cells after it has been released. Since reuptake is an important mechanism for removing released neurotransmitters and terminating their actions on adjacent nerves, the reduced uptake caused by paroxetine increases free serotonin that stimulates nerve cells in the brain.
Paxil Lawsuit Side Effects
Despite its effectiveness, Paxil has dangerous side effects especially if used by patients who are younger than 24. When taken alongside other medication, it may have intense side effects too thus the physician should find out if a patient is using any other medication at the time of prescribing Paxil. Other patients will experience side effects like more depression and anxiety, hyperactivity, agitation and aggressiveness.
For some, Paxil causes more serious side effects including;
- unusual bone pain or tenderness, swelling or bruising;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), coughing up blood;
- agitation, hallucinations, fever, fast heart rate, overactive reflexes, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, fainting;
- very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, overactive reflexes, feeling like you might pass out;
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, feeling unsteady, loss of coordination; or
- headache, trouble concentrating, memory problems, weakness, confusion, hallucinations, fainting, seizure, shallow breathing or breathing that stops.
In addition to these side effects, the FDA has issued a public health advisory which warned both consumers and health care professionals that Paxil had previously been linked to some serious side effects when used during pregnancy, including life-threatening birth defects.
The FDA has not calculated an official estimate of women and children at risk, but the number is certain to be high, as millions of Paxil prescriptions are filled every year. The risk of developing certain birth defects is greatly increased by taking Paxil, especially if taken during the third trimester.
Birth defects linked to the use of Paxil during pregnancy include:
- Atrial septal defects (ASD)
- Ventricular septal defects (VSD)
- Persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn (PPHN)
- Anal atresia
- Limb-reduction defects
Filing your Paxil Lawsuit
It is imperative that you file your Paxil lawsuit now if you want compensation for what you and your family have gone through. Interestingly, it has been found that women taking Paxil are advised to continue with the prescription if they fall pregnant while taking the drug. They are however told to cease taking the drug when they are nursing. These measures are taken to prevent withdrawal symptoms in a pregnant woman, as these can often be severe. Unfortunately, this does not protect the unborn child and many mothers continue taking Paxil unaware of the consequences for her child.
Our attorneys are here to help you with all aspects of your Paxil lawsuit and fight to hold the drug company responsible for what their medication has done. Once you fill out the information for your free Paxil lawsuit evaluation, we can get started helping you get everything you are owed. Although a Paxil lawsuit may not bring back the life or health of your child, it could prevent another from suffering the same predicament.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- How Much Should You Expect in A Commercial Uber Accident Settlement In Texas?
- Do You Have A Motorcycle Injury Case If A Pothole Caused Your Accident in Texas?
- Why Do Traumatic Brain Injury Claims Have Such Large Verdicts & Settlements?
- What Happens When You Get Into A Car Accident With No Insurance In Texas?
- What If I’m Injured in A Rental Car Accident in Houston?