If you or a loved one suffered sexual abuse or assault, you could recover damages for your medical bills, counseling, lost pay, and other losses. A California sexual abuse settlement lawyer can help you understand your legal rights to make an informed decision about pursuing damages.
You could recover damages from a sexual assault if you file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations. Get a free case evaluation from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™. A member of our team is ready to take your call now at no cost or obligation to you.
Connect with a Lawyer Who Understands Sexual Abuse Settlements
California has had many high-profile sexual abuse cases in recent years. Our legal team has helped many victims of these national cases, including:
- University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) sexual abuse lawsuit
- University of Southern California (USC) through Andy Rubenstein of D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™
- Boy Scouts of America sexual abuse lawsuit
We have obtained significant damages on behalf of our clients. Our legal team carefully investigates each case, records your injuries, and valuates your damages.
Tell us your story today. A California sexual abuse settlement lawyer can help you with your case. Call for a free, private case evaluation.
What Damages You Could Recover in a Sexual Abuse Settlement
A sexual abuse lawyer can seek financial recovery on your behalf. You deserve to have a strong legal advocate working for you.
We can seek recovery for:
- Lost or reduced earning ability
- Counseling and emotional treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
Many sexual abuse victims find it difficult to fully function after an assault. You should not have to continue to suffer financially or otherwise after a traumatic event. Sexual abusers and those who enable them should be held accountable for your economic and non-economic losses.
When to Call a Sexual Abuse Lawyer for Help
California Code of Civil Procedure (CCP) §335.1 imposes a two-year limit on filing a personal injury lawsuit, although there may be exceptions in a sexual abuse civil case. Our lawyer can discuss your options for financial recovery with you, so seeking legal counsel to learn of your options can help you look out for your interests.
There are other reasons to pursue damages and justice without delay, including the following:
- Biological evidence should be collected quickly.
- Other evidence, such as torn clothing, should be collected to avoid it being lost or removed.
- Sexual abusers can have multiple victims, so the sooner you act, the more likely you could prevent another person from a similar fate.
If you are in immediate danger of a sexual abuser, call 9-1-1. Get medical attention, and make sure to preserve the biological evidence. Then reach out to us to talk with a compassionate and knowledgeable member of our firm. We are here to help you.
How We Hold Sexual Abusers Accountable
All parties who caused or contributed to your injuries can be held liable. This includes individuals and establishments who knew of the abuse but remained silent.
Our lawyers consider the other party’s actions against certain conditions of liability, including:
- Duty of care toward you to take reasonable measures to protect you from harm or to report sexual abuse.
- Breach of care in which the other party failed to uphold its duty of care through omission, intent, or negligence.
- Causation of injuries from this breach of care that resulted in your physical or emotional injuries.
- Damages that arose from these injuries, such as medical care and treatment, lost pay, and mental anguish.
Our lawyers will secure evidence, testimony, and documentation to prove liability and pursue damages on your behalf.
Who Could Be Held Liable in Sexual Abuse or Sexual Assault Cases
The following entities could be involved in a sexual abuse settlement:
- The abuser
- The abuser’s employer
- Organizations or institutions that failed to act, such as colleges and businesses
- Religious and educational institutions
We Handle Many Types of Sexual Abuse Cases
Our lawyers are passionate about legal advocacy for victims of sexual abuse or assault. We are here to serve victims and their loved ones who are affected by:
- Clergy abuse
- School or collegiate abuse
- Abuse at Boy Scouts and other youth organizations
- Elder sexual abuse in nursing homes and assisted-living facilities
- Sexual abuse related to Uber and Lyft rideshare services
- Sexual abuse by doctors and healthcare workers
- Sexual abuse in an institution, jail, prison, or rehabilitation center
- Human sex trafficking
Victims of sexual abuse are often afraid to speak out for fear of retaliation. A lawyer with our firm can provide protection through appropriate law enforcement and social service agencies.
A lawsuit against a sexual abuser can be resolved in a settlement. A lawyer with our firm can negotiate the best outcome on your behalf. Call to get help with your case now.
How a Sexual Abuse Settlement Can Help Victims Heal
Someone in America is sexually assaulted every 73 seconds, according to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN).
Sexual abuse victims often feel shame or anger. They may blame themselves for their abuse or assault. A California sexual abuse settlement lawyer can help sexual abuse victims recover damages and justice.
In addition, seeking legal action against an abuser may enable you to:
- Begin the process of healing.
- Empower you by seeking justice against your attacker.
- Share your story with a safe, confidential advocate.
- Identify active abusers and prevent future victims.
- Hold abusers financially accountable for your pain and suffering.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™, Today for Help with Your Case
A California sexual abuse settlement lawyer can help you recover damages and justice from your abuser. You should not have to suffer twice from a horrific event that was not your fault and for which you are not to blame.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™, for a free case evaluation today.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- How Do Personal Injury Lawyers Get Paid In Texas?
- Should I Call the Police After My Truck Accident?
- What If a Family Member Is Too Seriously Injured to Contact a Lawyer?
- What Do I and My Lawyer Need to File Against UCLA for Sexual Abuse?
- What Qualities Should You Look For When Hiring A Personal Injury Lawyer In Houston?