Three train passengers lost their lives and dozens suffered injuries when the Amtrak Cascades 501 derailed on December 18, 2017. The lead locomotive and 12 of the 13 remaining cars derailed, some even falling onto Interstate 5 in Dupont, Washington. Based on a preliminary investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), the train was traveling at almost 80 miles per hour at the time of the derailment, far surpassing the speed limit.
The passengers who suffered injuries, those trapped on I-5 below, and the families of victims who lost their lives may struggle to overcome the trauma and suffering they endured. They want to know who and what caused the crash. They wonder if Amtrak, the Washington Department of Transportation, or others could have prevented it. They may be worried about paying for their medical care or making up for lost wages.
All victims of this tragedy deserve justice. We are hard at work answering these questions for those who suffered injuries or lost loved ones in this preventable tragedy. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at our Seattle office to learn how we can help: 206-800-8800.
Who Qualifies to File a Claim for Compensation After the Washington Train Derailment?
If you were on the Amtrak Cascades passenger train 501 or otherwise suffered losses because of its derailment, you may be eligible to recover compensation from the liable parties. We may be able to help you file a claim if you:
- Suffered injuries when your train car derailed
- Suffered injuries trying to climb from the derailed train car
- Were on the highway and suffered injuries when a train car fell onto the I-5
- Suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or other psychological or emotional issues
- Lost a loved one in the accident
Who Is Liable for Financial Losses After the Washington Train Derailment?
While the speed of the train certainly played a role in the crash of Amtrak Cascades passenger train 501, there are still many questions about how and why the crash occurred. We will not know the full story until the NTSB concludes its investigation. Even so, we can begin building a case on your behalf.
Amtrak and its employees have been involved in similar accidents, and may have played a significant role in causing this derailment. However, we are currently investigating every possible liable party, working to answer the questions you and other victims have about this crash.
Were there problems with the tracks in the new section? Why was the train travelling so fast? Were there design problems with the train cars? Could the Washington State Department of Transportation have prevented the crash? Were proper safety precautions in place to ensure passengers remained safe during the accident?
Some of the parties that may be liable include:
- The designer of the train cars, or of defective parts
- The designer of the Point Defiance Bypass
- The company tasked with laying the tracks in the Point Defiance Bypass
- Others involved with the track, the train cars, or the operation of the train
How Can D. Miller & Associates, PLLC Help Me?
The legal team from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can help you understand your rights as a victim or the family member of a victim in the Cascades 501 derailment. We can help you manage every aspect of your case, leaving you free to focus on your physical and emotional recovery. We will:
- Help you understand your legal options
- Investigate the accident and collect all available evidence
- File all paperwork necessary to recover the compensation you deserve
- Collect documentation of your emotional, physical, and financial damages
- Fight for fair compensation on your behalf
- Communicate with you in an efficient and timely manner
- Ensure you understand all aspects of your case
- Help you coordinate medical care, if necessary
Call our Seattle office today at 206-800-8800 for a free case evaluation.
What Types of Damages Are Recoverable?
We can act on your behalf to recover current and future damages related to the accident:
- Medical expenses
- Ongoing care costs
- Lost wages
- Future lost income
- Counseling for PTSD and other emotional damages
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Grief and mental anguish
- Wrongful death damages
Talk to a Washington Train Derailment Lawyer Today
Being involved in an incident like the Cascades train derailment can change your life in an instant. We know how scary and stressful it can be to face serious injuries, mourn a loved one, or struggle with PTSD after a devastating accident. Let us handle your insurance claim or lawsuit while you focus on getting your life back to normal.
We will fight for the best outcome in your case and advocate for the justice you deserve. Call our Seattle office at 206-800-8800 for a free case review.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Is It Always Your Fault If You Rear End Someone In Texas?
- Are Employers Responsible for When Their Employees Cause Car Accidents?
- Can I Sue for Lost Wages Resulting from a Truck Accident in Houston?
- How Do I Get a Police Report for a Car Accident In Houston?
- If I Have Been Injured In A Truck Accident Can I Sue The Trucking Company?