Car accidents may be unintentional, but someone is usually responsible for the accident. Uber and Lyft drivers have an obligation to supply safe transportation for passengers who hire them. If you were injured in an Uber or Lyft accident, you could be entitled to financial recovery for damages such as medical expenses and pain and suffering.
An Uber and Lyft accident lawyer in Rosenberg can determine who is responsible for your injuries. To find out if you qualify for financial recovery, please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600. We offer free case evaluations and work on a contingency basis only.
Seeking Recovery in an Uber or Lyft Accident in Rosenberg
An Uber and Lyft accident lawyer in Rosenberg can seek recovery from either the rides hare company or the driver, depending on your situation.
Uber and Lyft must carry $1 million in liability coverage in case of an accident. If you were a passenger or the driver was “on the app,” the $1 million insurance coverage starts the moment the driver accepts your ride request. You are covered until the ride is completed or when the driver completes the transaction on the app, whichever comes last. If you were not a passenger or the ride share driver was not “on the app”, your lawyer could help seek recovery from the Uber or Lyft driver’s personal automobile insurance. All drivers in Texas must carry a minimum of insurance coverage.
According to the Texas Department of Insurance, the state’s automobile insurance minimum requirement is:
- $30,000 for bodily injury liability for each injured individual
- $60,000 per accident
- $25,000 property damage liability per accident
Liability laws for Uber and Lyft drivers can be confusing. An Uber and Lyft accident lawyer in Rosenberg from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will help you understand your legal rights. For a free case evaluation, please call (713) 850-8600.
How to Determine Liability in an Uber or Lyft Accident
The first step in seeking potential recovery is to determine liability. In other words, an Uber and Lyft accident lawyer in Rosenberg will find out who is primarily responsible for the collision.
The following factors help determine liability in an Uber or Lyft accident:
- Duty of care – The expectation that the driver obeyed traffic laws and took reasonable measures to avoid the accident.
- Negligence – The driver breached this duty of care for whatever reason, such as driving too fast for road or weather conditions.
- Causation – The fact that the accident actually caused your injuries.
- Damages – There were physical, mental, and financial losses as a result of your injuries.
Please keep in mind that our Uber and Lyft accident lawyers in Rosenberg will represent injured passengers, motorists, pedestrians, and ride share drivers.
Gathering Evidence of Liability in an Uber or Lyft Accident
Uber and Lyft drivers must follow the rules of the road, the same way other licensed drivers in Texas do. In addition, there are special guidelines for ride share companies and their drivers. According to Texas statutes, Uber and Lyft must:
- Get a permit from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation
- Pay an annual fee of $5,000
- Conduct annual criminal background checks on drivers using local, state, and national databases
An Uber and Lyft accident lawyer in Rosenberg will review the circumstances of your accident for liability and violations of this statute. A lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will also review:
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Your injuries and expected prognosis
- Accident photographs and closed-circuit camera footage, if available
- Driver’s safety and training record
Our firm invites you to call for a free case evaluation. Please call (713) 850-8600 to discuss your Uber or Lyft accident in a free, a no obligation case evaluation.
Financial Recovery in an Uber or Lyft Accident in Rosenberg
There are two primary kinds of damages that can be recovered in an Uber or Lyft accident: special and general. Special damages are straightforward expenses such as medical bills or the cost of replacing a cell phone. General damages are less tangible, but equally important, and include mental anguish or loss of consortium.
You have the right to pursue recovery for general and special damages such as:
- Ambulance, emergency medical care, and doctor’s appointments
- Hospitalization, skilled nursing, or home health care
- Ongoing or future medical expenses such as therapy
- Lost wages from missed work
- Pain and suffering
- Private property damage
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Mental anguish
If you lost a family member in an Uber or Lyft accident, a lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC can file a wrongful death insurance claim or lawsuit. You may be able to recover final expenses and lost income, if your loved one had lived a normal life expectancy.
You Should Have an Advocate After an Uber or Lyft Accident
Since 2002, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has represented injured clients and obtained financial recovery for them. We understand liability laws and how insurance companies may try to deny or undervalue your claim. Please do not talk to an insurance adjuster until an Uber and Lyft accident lawyer in Rosenberg has reviewed your case.
Our firm has successfully negotiated with insurance companies to get our clients the financial recovery they are entitled to receive. If for some reason we cannot reach an acceptable insurance settlement, an Uber and Lyft accident lawyer from our firm can take your case to court. According to Texas statutes, you generally have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit.
After You Get Medical Care, Get a Free Case Evaluation
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 2.5 million Americans needed emergency department services after a motor vehicle accident. If you have not seen a medical professional yet, please do so at once.
An Uber and Lyft accident lawyer in Rosenberg can help you seek financial recovery if you qualify. For a free case evaluation, please call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC at (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Can You File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit if Someone Dies in a Fatal Motorcycle Accident in Texas?
- How Do You Go About Getting Compensated For A Car Accident Injury In Texas?
- Do You Need To Hire A Lawyer To Recover Money For A Slip And Fall Injury?
- Can You Hire Our Personal Injury Lawyers with No Money?
- Are Trucking Companies Required By Texas Law To Have Full Coverage Insurance?