It is difficult to state a confirmed number of sexual abuse charges against the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) and its former employee, Dr. James Heaps. Dozens of women have taken legal action against Dr. Heaps and the university for not protecting patients from an alleged sexual abuser.
Dr. Heaps worked part-time at the UCLA student medical center from 1983 to 2010 and held privileges there from 1988 to 2018. There might be thousands of potential victims who were sexually abused, assaulted, or harassed during this time.
What Happens When You File Sexual Abuse Charges
Dr. Heaps faces criminal charges and civil legal action because of his alleged sexual abuse and assault. His former employer, UCLA, is also a defendant in the sexual abuse lawsuits. Although Dr. Heaps is the individual who is accused of alleged sexual abuse, UCLA is also accountable for its failure to act.
A sexual abuse lawsuit lawyer can help the victims who have filed sexual abuse charges against UCLA and Dr. Heaps seek recovery. There are several benefits to having a legal advocate speak on your behalf, including:
- Protecting your rights with a deep understanding of liability, negligence, and the burden of proof in a sexual abuse lawsuit
- Communicating for you with all liable parties
- Appraising your damages for a correct valuation when seeking recovery
- Taking care of all the necessary details so that you may focus on healing
How to Seek Recovery in a Sexual Abuse Lawsuit
There are two ways in which you can seek financial recovery in these kinds of cases:
- As part of a class-action lawsuit
- As an individual plaintiff
A sexual abuse lawsuit lawyer from our firm will show liability on the part of both Dr. Heaps and his former employer, UCLA.
Factors in Proving Liability
Dr. Heaps should be held accountable for the victims who suffered physical and emotional injuries. Likewise, UCLA should be held accountable for their former employee. We believe that the failure of UCLA to protect innocent patients makes them liable.
The steps in proving liability include:
- Determining that Dr. Heaps and UCLA owed patients a duty of care to supply medical care without sexual abuse, assault, or harassment
- Showing how Dr. Heaps and UCLA breached this duty of care through direct and vicarious liability
- Establishing how this negligence caused physical and emotional pain
- Demonstrating how these injuries led to damages such as medical bills, pain and suffering, and other losses
Allegations Against Dr. James Heaps
- Performing medical and internal pelvic exams with ungloved hands
- Groping a patient’s buttocks
- Touching a patient’s breast in a manner inconsistent with medical breast exams for cancer screening
- Making crude remarks during medical exams
- Asking inappropriate questions about a patient’s sexual relationships
- Inappropriately rubbing or fondling a patient under the guise of a medical exam
We Can Help You Seek Financial Recovery
Our legal team is here to help the victims file sexual abuse charges against UCLA and Dr. Heaps seeking financial recovery. We have the resources and staff to investigate, negotiate, or litigate an acceptable settlement on your behalf.
Depending on your case, you may be entitled to recover damages, such as:
- Lost wages or reduced salary potential because of trauma
- Loss of consortium (some sexual abuse victims have difficulty with intimate relationships)
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Therapy, counseling, medication, and other medical treatment
- Other associated out-of-pocket expenses
We Are at Your Side Each Step of the Way
Since 2002, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has helped clients who were injured by someone’s negligence. We are here for you as you seek recovery and justice from an alleged sexual abuser and the entity that protected and enabled him.
- Miller & Associates, PLLC treats each client with respect and compassion, with:
- Constant communication and promptly returned calls
- Professional method of seeking recovery
- Representation at trial
- Observance to the highest legal, professional, and ethical standards
Please Call Today to Learn More
If you were a patient of Dr. James Heaps at any time between 1983 to 2018, you may be entitled to recover pain and suffering and other damages. A lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC is ready to help the victims file sexual abuse charges against UCLA and Dr. Heaps.
For a free case evaluation, call (713) 850-8600.