An injury does not have to be intentional for you to pursue recovery. A personal injury lawyer serving Tomball, TX, will fight to prove negligence to help you pursue financial recovery.
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ offers free case evaluations. You should know your legal options after a car accident or other type of personal injury.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You After Your Personal Injury Accident
A personal injury is any bodily harm that affects your physical or mental health. Texas has specific guidelines for liability and negligence for a plaintiff (the injured party) to seek financial recovery.
A personal injury lawyer serving Tomball can help you with those specific guidelines and do all the following:
- Protect and preserve your legal rights
- Secure evidence to prove liability
- File and manage your insurance claim
- Deal with the many requirements for a claim
- Prepare and file a personal injury lawsuit for trial
- Pursue financial recovery on a contingency basis
Types of Personal Injury Cases Our Team Handles for Tomball Families
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ accepts many kinds of personal injury cases that include but are not limited to the following.
You Could Secure a Financial Recovery After a Slip and Fall Accident
Whether you fall on private or public property, you could pursue a claim or lawsuit. You might have sustained injury due to a property owner’s failure to repair or address:
- A leaking roof
- A loose stone in their walkway
- An unsecured rug or electric cord on the floor
- A broken stair or step
- Rotten floorboards
Sexual Assault and Abuse Could Justify a Case
You should never have your safety or trust threatened. If you are assaulted or harassed, our team could help you take action. A business or individual could be liable for your losses.
Motor Vehicle Accident Victims and Their Families Could File Claims or Lawsuits
Your lawyer could fight for your vehicle accident-related losses. You might have sustained physical, psychological, and economic losses due to a driver that caused your accident by:
- Driving drunk
- Driving while distracted
- Driving under the influence of legal and illegal substances
- Driving recklessly
Our firm has seen vehicle accidents involving the following forms of transportation:
Our lawyers can help our clients seek justice after bicycle accidents, as well. Yours might resemble the one KTRK-TV reported on in May 2021.
Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Could Entitle a Victim to Recovery
Placing your loved one in a nursing home means that you trust the workers and administration to protect your family member. When a worker harms your family member or enables another person to do so, they could be negligent.
Our Team Could Pursue Financial Recovery for Your Losses From a Dog Bite
A dog owner’s failure to keep you safe in the presence of their pet could make them liable for your injuries and other, related losses. The owner could have:
- Failed to follow the Tomball city code relevant to restraining pets
- Failed to repair their fence
- Did not muzzle their “dangerous dog”
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can help you fight for justice in other kinds of cases, including:
- Workplace accidents and injuries and workers’ compensation cases
- Human trafficking victims
- Premises liability
- Defective medical products
- Dangerous drugs
- Medical malpractice
- Wrongful death and survival
Our Team Will Find Out What Happened to You or Your Family Member
Someone caused your injury. It may have been a careless act or the failure to act. Our team will carefully review the conditions and circumstances of your situation. This will help your lawyer prepare a thorough insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
Our team will begin with a free case evaluation and listen to your personal account. As our client, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ will get to work for you right away and our lawyers will:
- Assess your injuries and talk to your healthcare provider about your expected prognosis
- Compile a list of your damages and expenses, such as hospital bills, car repair, property damage, and other losses relative to your situation
- Evaluate police and accident reports
- Interview witnesses
- Review any and video evidence that may be available
- Secure expert testimony, if necessary
Each case is different, but our firm treats every client with care and respect.
Financial Recovery Is a Major Component in a Personal Injury Case
There is no “guilty” or “not guilty” in a personal injury case. Instead, a lawyer will review the evidence, testimony, and other factors to show that it is “more likely than not” that the other party caused your injuries.
Here are the most common damages typically sought in a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Reduced earning ability
- Property damage
In wrongful death and survival cases, a lawyer will seek damages for:
- Medical bills until passing
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of consortium or companionship
- Mental anguish
- Lost lifetime income and other earnings
Texas law generally gives you two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury or wrongful death and survival lawsuit. Our lawyers are ready to help you seek financial recovery and justice for your personal injury.
Different Types of Liability
Some injury cases are more complicated than others. In certain instances, there is more than one liable party. There are two primary forms of liability in a personal injury case that you may pursue recovery for:
- Direct liability is the party responsible for your injuries.
- Vicarious liability holds a party responsible indirectly, such as an employer who may be accountable for a negligent employee.
Insurance Settlements Versus Verdicts
You can recover damages in a personal injury case through an insurance settlement or a jury’s verdict. Our personal injury lawyers will fight to get you an acceptable insurance settlement. However, your lawyer can prepare a persuasive case for trial, if necessary.
A personal injury lawyer serving Tomball, TX, with our firm will likely seek recovery first from the defendant’s insurance coverage. The type of insurance will depend on your injury and the circumstances of the incident. For example, if you were hurt in someone’s home, your lawyer will file a claim with the homeowner’s property insurance.
There are benefits and challenges with both approaches:
- Financial recovery is usually faster with an insurance settlement.
- Insurance settlements are less expensive than going to court.
- Juries may award a greater or lesser amount of recovery or nothing.
- Defendants do not have to admit liability in a settlement.
- Typically, statements and verdicts in a trial become public record, while settlements are confidential.
A personal injury lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ will explain your legal options.
Call Our Firm Today for a Free Case Evaluation With a Team Member
If you or a family member were injured by someone’s negligence, please call for a free case evaluation. A personal injury lawyer serving Tomball, TX, will help you get the recovery you may be entitled to receive. Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ at (713) 850-8600 to speak to a representative.
Our team is also prepared to serve families who lost loved ones in accidents, such as those caused by 18-wheeler collisions or medical malpractice injuries.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Should You Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
- What If Your Spouse Can No Longer Have Children After a Car Accident?
- What Are Damages and Why Do Personal Injury Lawyers Fight to Recover Them?
- Is Lane Splitting Legal in Texas in 2019?
- Do You Need a Car Accident Attorney to Recover Money for Property Damage?