If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a truck accident, we can seek financial recovery for your injuries and related expenses. Since 2002, the truck accident lawyers at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ have helped injured claimants and their loved ones.
About our legal services, one of our previous clients said: “Excellent work. I would definitely use D. Miller & Associates again.” It would be our privilege to help you and your loved ones after any type of truck accident. Our Texas law firm has the resources to start building your case right away.
Our Truck Accident Lawyers Handle Cases Involving The Following Factors
Our award-winning law firm accepts all kinds of truck accident cases, including those involving:
- Sideswipe accidents
- Rear-end collisions
- Head-on collisions
- T-bone accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Tire blowout collisions
- Turning or lane change accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Drowsy driving accidents
- Distracted driving accidents
- Spilled cargo accidents
A truck accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ is ready to help if you suffered injuries as a motorist, pedestrian, bicyclist, or motorcyclist.
Types of Trucks in Truck Accidents
Many kinds of trucks can be involved in truck accidents, including:
- 18-wheeler and semi trucks
- Large trucks
- Delivery vans
- Garbage trucks
- Tow trucks
- Moving vans
- Food delivery trucks
A truck accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can identify the cause of your accident and seek damages.
Why Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer from Our Firm?
You enjoy several benefits when you choose our firm to help with your case:
- We will protect your legal rights throughout the civil claims process.
- We will take the burden of pursuing recovery off your shoulders.
- Our award-winning firm will use its experience to pursue a just outcome for your situation.
- We have a network of investigators, accident reconstruction specialists, and healthcare providers who can lend insight into your claim.
We understand that every truck accident case is unique. So, we will give your case the attention to detail it deserves. Our primary goal is to seek recovery that accounts for your past, present, and future injury-related expenses.
Even Straight forward Truck Accident Cases Come With Challenges
It might be obvious that another party’s negligence caused your collision and injuries. However, the insurance company, other party’s legal team, and even law enforcement may doubt certain aspects of your case.
We can address the following complications that may threaten your case’s outcome:
- The insurance company denies your claim without giving a valid reason why.
- The other party’s lawyer claims you caused the accident.
- The insurance company offers less than what the liable policy outlines.
- There isn’t enough evidence to support your case.
- You don’t understand the full value of your losses.
We want you to focus on your health and well-being while we manage your civil case.
You Should Consider Your Legal Options as Soon as Possible
You should know that:
- Our truck accident lawyers will first attempt to negotiate the best possible settlement.
- We resolve many of our cases without going to court.
Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code § 16.003 outlines how long you have to file your lawsuit. You generally have two years to file your case. To preserve your legal rights, we recommend reaching out to our team as soon as possible.
Other Reasons to Consider Working With Our Firm
All states have a statute of limitations on injury lawsuits, but that is not the only reason to consider partnering with our team. The longer you wait, the more likely:
- Evidence will be destroyed.
- Witnesses will be unavailable for depositions.
- The insurer will contest your claim.
Your medical bills, job, and other obligations won’t be on hold while you recover. Our law firm can manage your case while you get better.
You Can Seek These Damages Through a Truck Accident Claim Or Lawsuit
The value of your case depends on:
- The extent of your injuries
- Whether you can work after your injuries
- State insurance and liability laws (if there is a minimum amount required)
- Your percentage of fault
There could be several liable parties in your trucking accident. For instance, the truck’s mechanic and the company that owned the truck could be accountable for your damages. D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can identify all liable parties and pursue damages accordingly.
Types of Compensable Losses
You can pursue both economic and non-economic damages after your truck accident. Economic damages include:
- All medical treatment expenses
- Prescriptions, rehabilitation, and other follow-up treatment
- Lost wages for the time you missed work because of injuries
- Diminished earning ability (temporary or permanent)
- Property damage
- Lifecare costs
Non-economic losses comprise:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Our team can seek other losses than those listed here.
You Can Seek Damages If a Loved One Passed Away After a Truck Accident
We help truck accident claimants who have lost loved ones. Our firm can recover damages for economic and non-economic damages such as:
- Final expenses (such as funeral, burial, or cremation costs)
- Medical care until the time of your loved one’s passing
- Loss of income, benefits, and annuities had your loved one survived
- Loss of companionship, consortium, protection, guidance, or support
- Mental anguish
We understand that grieving a lawsuit and handling a civil case can be overwhelming. Our firm knows how we can recover damages and justice on your behalf.
How to Maximize Recoverable Damages After a Truck Accident
You and your attorney both play important roles when it comes to maximizing your financial recovery. A truck accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can support your case by:
- Securing as much evidence as possible
- Hiring subject matter experts, such as medical professionals and accident reconstruction specialists
- Applying relevant state and federal laws to your case
- Talking to your healthcare provider about the extent of your injuries and likely prognosis
There are steps that you may take to maximize your damages, including:
- Deferring questions from the insurance adjuster to your attorney
- Declining to make any statement without first consulting with your attorney
- Avoiding making social media posts about the accident and your thoughts on the other party’s actions
- Following your healthcare provider’s instructions
- Speaking only to your lawyer about your case
If you and your attorney decide to file a lawsuit, be sure to make the best possible impression on the judge or jury. Your lawyer will help you prepare and give you further insight.
You Have These Options When Pursuing the Cost of Your Damages
Your lawyer may employ one or more of the following measures to resolve your case:
Filing an Insurance Claim
The Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) requires motorists to carry auto insurance––including truck drivers. We may first start your case by filing a claim. Here, we will seek damages up to the liable policy’s limits.
- Manage your claim’s paperwork
- Review the liable policy
- Identify the losses for which you deserve reimbursement
- Communicate your situation to the claims adjuster
- Negotiate a settlement
We resolve many of our truck accident cases through insurance claims. However, we are prepared to consider other measures if this isn’t a possibility.
Reaching an Agreement Through Mediation
Mediation is not the same as a trial; it’s a discussion between yourself and the other party regarding a possible out-of-court settlement. A neutral third party oversees the conversation and guides both parties toward a fair resolution.
This isn’t an option for every truck accident case, however. Some cases involve filing lawsuits.
Filing a Civil Lawsuit
Not only will we file your case within the applicable deadline, but we will also:
- Take depositions
- Interview witnesses
- Follow courtroom proceedings
- Illustrate the laws that apply to your case
- Present evidence and argue your case
- Make in-court appearances
During your free case evaluation, you can discuss what options suit your situation.
We Can Identify the Liable Parties in Your Truck Accident Case
A truck accident may involve multiple liable parties. When there are several responsible parties, there could be several insurance policies that could cover your injuries.
Although the truck driver was behind the wheel, we can hold numerous parties accountable for your damages, including:
- The trucking company or carrier that employed or contracted the truck driver
- The party who loaded the truck’s cargo, if different from the shipper
- The maintenance party responsible for mistakes or omissions in the vehicle’s safety, maintenance, and repairs
- The manufacturer responsible for defective truck parts
- Other motorists who played a role in causing your injuries
A truck accident lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ has a deep understanding of personal injury cases’ complexities. We can identify all liable parties and pursue damages on your behalf.
We Will Determine Whether Any Trucking Violations Caused Your Accident
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) outlines the rules truckers must follow. For instance, a commercial truck driver cannot drive more than eight hours without taking a 30-minute break. Any violation of these rules could indicate negligence.
Texas trucking regulations cover issues related to:
- Driver training
- A driver’s health and fitness to perform their job
- Cargo, including hazardous waste
- Number of allowable driving hours and required rest or sleep breaks
- Drug testing
- Vehicle safety, maintenance, and inspection
We can use any violation of the FMCSA’s guidelines to support your case. We can review the truck’s black box data, the trucker’s driving logs, and the trucker’s schedule to search for evidence of negligence.
What Are Some Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
The FMCSA researched the most common reasons for truck accidents. It is no surprise that truck accidents, like most motor vehicle accidents, are largely preventable. Driver error is the cause of 87 percent of truck accidents.
These driver errors include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Merging without a turn signal
- Failing to adjust to inclement weather conditions
- Engaging in road rage
We can provide legal aid even if other factors caused your accident.
How Long does a Truck Accident Settlement Take?
Negotiating a settlement with an insurance company could take several weeks or months. Our legal team does everything possible to streamline this process, including:
- Sending a complete, accurate, and detailed claim to the insurer
- Supplying supporting evidence and documentation
- Making sure your case doesn’t get stalled or delayed
We cannot control the speed at which an insurance company works, but we can do our part to keep things moving forward.
Think Twice About Accepting the First Settlement Offer
In our experience with truck accidents and other personal injuries, the first offer that an insurer makes is generally inadequate.
A lawyer from our law firm will counter a low offer, and this process continues until we reach an acceptable settlement. If the other party will not negotiate in good faith, you have the option of pursuing an injury lawsuit.
What Should You Do at The Scene of a Truck Accident?
Here are suggested steps to take at the scene of a truck accident, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III):
- If you can drive your vehicle out of traffic, move to the side of the road and turn on your hazard lights.
- If you cannot move your car, have everyone get out of the vehicle and to a safe location out of traffic.
- Call 911 for emergency responders.
- Administer first aid to the injured parties, including yourself.
- Take pictures of your vehicle and the accident scene, if possible.
- Take note of the other party’s license.
- Never pursue a hit-and-run driver.
Some truck accident injuries are so severe that an ambulance transports victims to the nearest emergency room. If your injuries are not life-threatening, you should still see your healthcare provider as soon as possible.
Enjoy the Support of Our Award-winning Law Firm
Our truck accident lawyers are ready to assist you.
We are proud to be recognized by:
- Super Lawyers®
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Rated AV®Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys – 10 Best Award for Client Satisfaction, 2017-2018
- Who’s Who Top Attorneys of North America Certified
- Small Business Community Association – Excellence Award
The greatest compliment that we receive is our clients’ loyalty and satisfaction. They often refer us to their friends, family members, and coworkers.
We Are Active Community Partners
Miller & Associates, PLLC™ is proud to be an active and engaged community partner.
Our philanthropic contributions include:
- Heroes Helping Heroes to benefit childhood cancer charities
- Motorcycle Ride for Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) victims
- Lessons by Legends Football Camp for at-risk local youth
- Community Superhero Scholarship ($1,500 college scholarship)
We love our state and the communities we serve.
We Support Our Clients’ Legal Goals
This may be the first time you have hired a lawyer. It can be difficult to find and select an attorney who can recover damages for your truck accident injuries. You want to be comfortable and confident in your selection.
Here are some comments made by former clients:
- “The case was about me… I appreciated that and that is why we were successful.”
- “After several attempts to resolve the charge myself I engaged Andy Rubenstein to handle the issue. Andy promptly resolved the dispute in a professional and expeditious manner.”
- “I have known Darren for years. I recommend his firm for any personal injury or pharmaceutical case.”
Since 2002, our firm has helped injured people recover damages and get justice from those who harmed them. We adhere to the highest standards of ethical conduct and legal representation.
We Provide Resources for Truck Accident Claimants
We don’t just want to be your legal team; we also want to be your support network. As such, here are some resources we provide to injured claimants:
- Our YouTube channel. We create content for claimants who want to explore their options. Some topics of interest include 18-wheeler accidents, product liability claims, and other legal matters.
- Educational resources. Confused about legal jargon? Not a problem; our firm has an online glossary where you can look up unfamiliar terms.
- Our Facebook page.We keep our Facebook page updated with updates, information, and newsletters. You can also follow us on Twitter at @dmillerlaw.
Call for a Free Case Evaluation Today
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident, our legal team can help you recover damages for medical bills, lost pay, and other losses. A truck accident lawyer in Texas from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can champion your rights.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ today at (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Is the Deadline to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit from an Auto Accident in Texas?
- Do You Have A Motorcycle Injury Case If A Pothole Caused Your Accident in Texas?
- Is It too Late to File an OSU Collegiate Sexual Assault Case?
- Why Do Traumatic Brain Injury Claims Have Such Large Verdicts & Settlements?
- Is it Always Your Fault When You Rear end Someone in Texas?