If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a truck accident caused by another party’s negligence, you might be entitled to financial recovery for your injuries and expenses. A truck accident lawyer with our firm is ready to help. Since 2002, D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ has obtained damages and justice for people who are injured or harmed by someone else.
One of our clients states, “Excellent work. I would definitely use D. Miller & Associates again.” It would be our privilege to help you and your loved one after any type of truck accident. Our nationwide law firm has the resources to start on your case right away.
Why Hire a Texas Truck Accident Lawyer?
The other party’s insurance adjuster might have contacted you. Any conversation with an insurance company representative is not a casual chat. You could inadvertently jeopardize your claim or future lawsuit if you are not familiar with how personal injury cases work.
You enjoy several benefits when you choose a truck accident lawyer serving Texas to help with your case:
- Peace of mind that your legal rights are protected and preserved.
- Relief of the burden of collecting and filing documentation for an insurance claim.
- The capacity to focus on recovering from your injuries and spending time with your loved ones.
- In-depth knowledge of truck accident cases with a staff of lawyers, investigators, and associates.
- Assurance of an award-winning law firm that successfully obtained damages for clients through settlements and judgments.
Each truck accident case is unique. Your injuries are a vital factor in determining recoverable damages. It is easy to underestimate the extent of your losses while you are in pain or unwell. A truck accident lawyer in Texas can pursue damages for you and your loved ones.
We will Help You Exercise Your Legal Rights
It may be worthwhile to consult a lawyer from our team after an accident. Our firm offers free case evaluations, so there’s no risk in reaching out.
- Trucking companies and insurance carriers are businesses. Their job is to do everything possible to block or prevent you from recovering damages caused by their employee or
- We cannot promise the outcome of a future case, but we can fully commit to proactive, responsive legal care. Our lawyers fight for you and your loved ones as if you were our own family.
When Should I Get a Truck Accident Lawyer?
Medical care always comes first after any truck accident. Once you are safe and under a medical professional’s care, you should consider hiring a truck accident lawyer from our team. There is nothing wrong with learning about your legal rights and what you could recover from the liable party.
You should know that:
- Most personal injury lawsuits arise from failed insurance negotiations.
- Our truck accident lawyers will first attempt to negotiate the best possible settlement on your behalf.
- We can often successfully resolve a truck accident case and obtain financial recovery for our clients without going to court.
However, if the other party does not meet our negotiation expectations, we can take your case to court. Texas law allows personal injury victims two years from the date of their injury-causing accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. It is in your best interest to hire a lawyer from our team soon after a truck accident rather than wait until it is too late to pursue legal action.
Other Reasons to Call Today for a Free Case Evaluation
Texas has a statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits, but that is not the only reason why you might want to consult a truck accident lawyer from our law firm as soon as possible:
- Evidence can erode or be destroyed.
- Witnesses can be unavailable for a deposition.
- You deserve to move on as best you can in your life, job, and family relationships.
Your life changed the instant that you were in a truck accident. You should not have to wait for financial recovery and justice because of another party’s careless action.
Why Choose D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™?
This may be the first time you have hired a lawyer. It can be difficult finding and selecting an attorney who can help you recover damages for your truck accident injuries. You want to be comfortable and confident in your selection.
Here are some comments made by former clients:
- The case was about me… I appreciated that and that is why we were successful.
- After several attempts to resolve the charge myself I engaged Andy Rubenstein to handle the issue. Andy promptly resolved the dispute in a professional and expeditious manner.
- I have known Darren for years. I recommend his firm for any personal injury or pharmaceutical case.
Since 2002, our firm has helped injured people recover damages and get justice from those who harmed them. We adhere to the highest standards of ethical conduct and legal representation.
Who are the Liable Parties in a Truck Accident Case?
A truck accident may involve several liable parties. When there are several responsible parties, there are probably several insurance policies that could cover your injuries.
Although the truck driver was behind the wheel, we can hold numerous parties accountable for your damages, including:
- The trucking company or carrier that employs or contracts the truck driver.
- The company whose products the truck
- The party who loads the cargo, if different from the shipper.
- The maintenance party responsible for mistakes or omissions in the vehicle’s safety, maintenance, and repairs.
- The manufacturer responsible for defective truck parts.
- Other motorists who played a role in causing your injuries.
A truck accident lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ has a deep understanding of personal injury cases’ complexities. We can identify all liable parties and pursue damages on your behalf.
Truck Carriers Must Carry Insurance Policies
Trucks carry valuable cargo, but they also present a danger to motorists. The average 18-wheeler truck weighs much more than the average passenger car. You are more likely to be severely injured in a collision between a car and a truck than an accident involving two cars.
Truck companies must carry insurance policies large enough to cover medical bills, lost pay, and other losses if their drivers or contractors cause an accident. A lawyer with our firm can file, track, and manage your insurance claim. You will not have to worry about the details or paperwork while you are recovering from your injuries.
How Much is My Truck Accident Case Worth?
Some truck accident cases are worth more than others. Certain factors influence how much your truck accident case may be worth, such as:
- Severity and extent of your injuries
- Your expected prognosis
- Loss of bodily function (such as blindness or paralysis)
- Requirements of local, state, or federal statutes
- Insurance coverage
- Any potential criminal act or wrongdoing by the other party
A truck accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ will carefully review your injuries, damages, and prognosis. It is our firm’s goal to obtain the maximum amount for your damages.
You Could Receive Financial Recovery for Your Injuries
In our experience as truck accident lawyers, the most frequently awarded damages for this type of motor vehicle accident may include:
- All medical treatment expenses
- Prescriptions, rehabilitation, or skilled nursing, and other follow-up treatment
- Lost wages for the time you missed work because of injuries
- Diminished earning ability (temporary or permanent) because of injuries
- Property damage
- Lifecare costs
- Disability and disfigurement
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
Although we cannot promise the outcome of your specific case, we will work tirelessly on your behalf for a favorable result for you and your loved ones.
What Financial Recovery is Available to Trucking Accident Injury Victims?
Financial recovery often depends on:
- The extent of your injuries
- Whether you will be able to work after your injuries
- State insurance and liability laws (if there is a minimum amount required)
A truck accident attorney with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ will seek damages from the liable party’s insurance coverage. In many truck accidents, there are several liable parties and, therefore, several insurance policies.
What Types of Recoverable Damages Could You Obtain?
Two kinds of recoverable damages typically apply in a truck accident case: special damages and general damages.
Special damages are specific economic losses that you accrue because of the accident. For example:
- The time you spent in the hospital for your injuries or surgery related to your injuries.
- An estimate for car repairs or replacement.
- Pay stubs for lost time at work.
You may also seek financial recovery for emotional damages. These are called general damages. For example:
- Mental anguish from an accident-related injury.
- Pain and suffering from the physical and emotional result of an accident-related injury.
- Emotional trauma from the loss of a loved one’s companionship.
When you suffer injuries in a truck accident, you may find it easier to pursue financial recovery with the help of a truck accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™.
What are the Steps in a Texas Truck Accident Lawsuit?
Texas law requires that everyone involved in a traffic accident remain at the scene to give first aid, call for medical and police assistance, and exchange insurance information with other drivers.
Once you and your loved ones have received medical care and treatment, speak with our legal team about how we can help you file a truck accident lawsuit.
This process typically includes:
- Getting a free case evaluation by calling the office of our truck accident lawyers.
- Keeping all medical bills, expenses, and documentation about your injuries and damages.
- Giving the insurance company the information it needs (such as the make and model of your vehicle and the date and approximate time of the accident).
- Seeking damages first by filing a claim against the other party’s insurance.
Many truck accident cases resolve without having to file a personal injury lawsuit. Our lawyers are often able to negotiate a settlement successfully.
You May not Need to go to Court
Prospective or new clients often ask us if they will need to go to court or if they will need to testify in court about the accident.
Truck accidents may involve high-profile carriers or shippers who want to avoid the publicity of a trial. There are benefits to both you and these defendants to reaching an agreeable settlement:
- The defendants do not have to admit liability or wrongdoing.
- The defendants can keep all details of the payment, including the amount, private and confidential.
- Out-of-court settlements are usually processed faster.
- Personal or potentially embarrassing details about the case will not be part of the public record.
You must file a lawsuit before the deadline. You have two years from the accident to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit in Texas. That is why we encourage you to get a free case evaluation soon after an accident so that you may make an informed and timely decision.
How do Texas Trucking Regulations Impact My Case?
The Texas Highway Patrol Division of the Department of Public Safety (DPS) generally follows the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association (FMCSA) regulations for commercial trucking. These guidelines may impact your case if the carrier, shipper, or other liable party fails to uphold state or federal statutes.
Texas trucking regulations cover issues related to:
- Driver training
- Driver’s health and fitness to perform their job
- Cargo including hazardous waste
- Number of allowable driving hours and required rest or sleep breaks
- Drug testing
- Vehicle safety, maintenance, and inspection
If a truck accident lawyer from our firm uncovers evidence that a motor carrier or shipping company has deliberately or recklessly disregarded these statutes, this breach may be used to build your case for damages.
How a Lawyer Uses Texas Trucking Regulations to Build Your Case
Driver fatigue causes many truck accidents. This happens when companies encourage drivers to drive beyond the limits set forth by trucking regulations:
- Commercial truckers may not drive more than 14 consecutive hours after ten consecutive hours off duty.
- Commercial truckers may not drive after 60 to 70 hours on duty over seven or eight days straight.
A truck accident attorney from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ may request the truck’s onboard digital information, mileage logs, and other documentation to prove that these required rest periods were ignored or shortened.
How Much are Settlements for Commercial Truck Accidents?
Settlements for commercial truck accidents range from modest to massive. It is difficult to state an average financial recovery because each accident is unique.
As truck accident lawyers, the team at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ have helped countless clients recover damages for such expenses as:
- Car repair and other property damage
- Car rentals
- Past and future medical treatment
- Lost pay for missed workdays because of injuries
- Mileage from the doctor, home, and pharmacy
- Pain and suffering
- Other economic and emotional losses that are a direct result of the accident
We encourage you to speak to a D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ team member to learn about our legal services and how we can help you recover damages from the liable parties.
How a Lawyer From our Team Helps You Reach a Settlement
If you know anything about insurance companies, you know that they make money by collecting premiums and lose money by paying claims.
This can make negotiating with an insurance adjuster a frustrating experience. You can make this process easier on yourself by hiring a lawyer from our team to seek a settlement on your behalf.
A lawyer with our firm can:
- Identify and communicate with liable parties
- Collect evidence to prove liability or wrongdoing by the other parties
- Demonstrate our knowledge of trial law and previously secured judgments
- Refuse to be intimidated by an insurance adjuster who uses questionable methods to deny or delay your claim
How to Maximize Recoverable Damages After a Truck Accident
You and your attorney both play important roles when it comes to maximizing your financial recovery. A truck accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can maximize your damages in several ways, including:
- Securing as much evidence as possible
- Hiring subject matter experts such as medical professionals and accident reconstruction engineers
- Applying relevant state and federal laws to your case
- Talking to your healthcare provider about the extent of your injuries and likely prognosis
There are steps that you may take to maximize your damages, including:
- Refer questions from the insurance adjuster to your attorney
- Decline to make any statement without first consulting with your attorney
- Avoid social media posts about the accident and your thoughts on the other party’s actions
- Follow your healthcare provider’s instructions (to do otherwise could jeopardize your claim)
- Speak only to your lawyer about your case
If you and your attorney from our team decide to file a lawsuit, be sure to make the best possible impression on the judge or jury. Your lawyer will help you prepare, and you can do your part by following these instructions.
Hiring an Attorney From our Team
A lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ will ensure that you fully understand the terms of your relationship so you can make the best decision for you and your loved ones.
It is sometimes in your best interest to have a lawyer represent you rather than pursuing damages on your own:
- You may be recuperating from your injuries for weeks or months and not feeling your best or most alert.
- You may not have a deep understanding of Texas liability and negligence laws, which may be detrimental to your recovery efforts.
- You could inadvertently jeopardize your claim with an innocent remark or omission to the insurance adjuster.
- The other party could pressure you to accept a lowball offer because you are frustrated or angry about your situation.
- You may not want to spend more time away from your family or job than the accident has already caused you to do.
The last thing you probably feel like doing is dealing with an insurance adjuster or accident investigator. You could be relaxing and focusing on your health while a truck accident attorney with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ pursues recovery on your behalf.
This could benefit you in several ways, including:
- You turn over your information, receipts, and bills so an attorney from our team can evaluate your damages.
- You know that we are protecting your rights from predatory insurance companies.
- You do not have to worry about tracking your insurance claim or missing any crucial
We offer a free case evaluation to you as a potential client so that you can learn about the affordable benefits of working with an attorney from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™.
How will a Texas Truck Accident Lawyer Help Me?
Our truck accident attorneys perform many valuable services that can make your life easier after a truck accident. This allows you to focus on your health and your loved ones.
A truck accident lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can:
- Investigate the cause of the accident with evidence including police reports, videos or photos, the truck’s onboard digital information system, witness statements, and accident reconstruction
- Secure expert testimony to support your case
- Identify all potentially liable parties and their respective insurance carriers
- File, track, and manage your insurance claim
- Negotiate a settlement amount
- File a personal injury lawsuit if necessary
Truck accidents are not like car accidents. A motor carrier or other large commercial trucking firm will rarely volunteer to cover your medical bills and other losses without question or hesitation. A lawyer from our team who is ready to stand by your side can preserve your legal rights, including your desire to pursue damages.
What Types of Truck Accidents Does our Firm Accept?
Our award-winning law firm accepts all kinds of truck accident cases, including:
- Sideswipe accidents
- Rear-end collisions
- Head-on collisions
- T-bone accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Tire blowouts
- Turning or lane change accidents
- Drunk driving accidents with injuries
- Drowsy driving accidents
- Distracted driving accidents
- Spilled cargo accidents
- Defective manufacturer parts
- Underride accidents
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Road rage
- Hit and run accidents
- Highway accidents
- Intersection accidents
- Red light accidents
A truck accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ is ready to help if you suffered injuries as a motorist, pedestrian, bicyclist, or motorcycle rider.
Types of Trucks in a Truck Accident
Trucks are commercial vehicles that require operators to have a special license. Commercial truck drivers are supposed to have the training needed to handle the special requirements of driving large, heavy trucks.
Many kinds of trucks can be involved in a truck accident, including:
- 18-wheeler and semi-trucks
- Large trucks
- Delivery vans
- Garbage trucks
- Tow trucks
- Moving vans
- Food delivery trucks
A truck accident lawyer from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can help you recover damages for a collision that was not your fault.
Should You Hire a Lawyer for a Minor Truck Accident?
Many truck accidents are not “minor” because of the risk for injury after a collision with a large, heavy truck. There are no minimum injuries that you must suffer before you can hire a lawyer from our firm. It is your right to hire a lawyer for any truck accident that has left you in pain and debt because of someone’s carelessness.
If you suffered injuries—no matter how minor—in a truck accident, we could help you. We are committed to bringing closure and justice with compassionate and diligent legal care.
We Can file and Manage Your Insurance Claim
An attorney with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can file and manage your insurance claim.
- Help you understand your insurance policy and coverage.
- Compile and send a detailed claim on your behalf.
- Provide legal representation if the insurance adjuster denies your claim.
Some insurance companies respond more promptly to your claim when they know that you have an attorney, but there is no guarantee. However, having a lawyer from our team file your claim with the insurance company offers peace of mind that your legal rights are protected.
How Long Does a Truck Accident Settlement Take?
Negotiating a settlement with an insurance company could take several weeks or months. Our legal team does everything possible to streamline this process with such actions as:
- Sending a complete, accurate, and detailed claim.
- Supplying supporting evidence and documentation of your injuries and damages.
- Staying on top of the insurance adjuster so that your claim does not get lost or ignored.
We obviously cannot control the speed at which an insurance company works, but we can do our part with professional yet vigorous representation.
First Offers Tend to Be Lowball Offers
In our experience with truck accidents and other personal injuries, the first offer that an insurer makes is generally an inadequate, lowball offer.
A lawyer from our law firm will counter a low offer, and this process continues until we reach an acceptable settlement. If it is clear that the other party will not negotiate in good faith, you have the option of pursuing damages with a personal injury lawsuit.
What Should You do at the Scene of a Truck Accident?
Here are suggested steps to take at the scene of a truck accident, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III):
- If you can drive your vehicle out of traffic, move to the side of the road and turn on your hazard lights.
- If you cannot move your car, have everyone get out of the vehicle and to a safe location out of traffic.
- Call 911 for emergency responders.
- Administer first aid to the injured, including yourself.
- Take pictures of your vehicle and the accident scene, if possible.
- Take note of the other party’s license.
- Never pursue a hit-and-run driver.
Some truck accident injuries are so severe that an ambulance transports victims to the nearest emergency room. If your injuries are not life-threatening, you should still see your healthcare provider as soon as possible.
Speak to our Legal Team Before You Talk to an Insurance Adjuster
An accident investigator or insurance adjuster might contact you right after the accident. It may be tempting to answer their questions, but we ask that you consider calling a member of our legal team before you speak to anyone about your case.
After a truck accident, you may be:
- Out of commission due to pain medication, recent surgery, or the pain from your injuries.
- Pressured into accepting a lowball offer that is inadequate for your damages.
- Persuaded to allow an adjuster to record your conversation.
We have seen how innocent people inadvertently jeopardize their case when they speak to an insurance adjuster under these trying circumstances. You may choose to have a legal advocate from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ by your side, particularly when you feel weak or unwell.
Can I Pursue Damages if a Loved one Passed Away After a Truck Accident?
An attorney from our law firm can help family members who lost a loved one after a truck accident. This may be through an insurance claim or a wrongful death lawsuit.
Our firm can help you recover damages for such economic and emotional losses as:
- Final expenses (funeral, burial, or cremation)
- Medical care until the time of your loved one’s passing
- Loss of income, benefits, and annuities had your loved one survived
- Loss of companionship, consortium, protection, guidance, or support
- Mental anguish
We understand that losing a loved one is made even more difficult when you have to deal with a negligence claim for financial recovery. We will do all we can to recover damages and justice for your loss.
Enjoy the Support of our Award-Winning Law Firm
Our truck accident lawyers are ready to assist with your case with the backing of our award-winning law firm.
We are proud to be recognized by:
- Super Lawyers®
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Rated AV®Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys – 10 Best Award for Client Satisfaction, 2017-2018
- Who’s Who Top Attorneys of North America Certified
- Small Business Community Association – Excellence Award
The greatest compliment that we receive is our clients’ loyalty and friendship. They often refer us to their friends, family members, and coworkers.
We are Engaged Community Partners
- Miller & Associates, PLLC™ is proud to be an active and engaged community partner.
Our philanthropic contributions include:
- Heroes Helping Heroes to benefit childhood cancer charities
- Motorcycle Ride for Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) victims
- Lessons by Legends Football Camp for at-risk local youth
- Community Superhero Scholarship ($1,500 college scholarship)
We love our state and the communities we serve.
What We will do for You
A truck accident lawyer serving Texas from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ handles every aspect of your case, including:
- Collecting evidence of liability and negligence, including photos of the accident scene, witness statements, police reports, and medical records.
- Securing testimony from experts about the circumstances, events, and timeline of the accident and how they caused your injuries.
- Identifying all liable parties who played a direct or indirect role in your injuries.
- Securing proof of damages such as medical care, temporary transportation, lost wages, and other expenses.
- Filing and managing your insurance claim.
- Pursuing the maximum settlement for your past and future damages.
You should not have to deal with insurance adjusters, claims, or other details when you are injured. A truck accident lawyer with D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ will be with you every step of the way.
Here are some of the benefits of hiring a truck accident lawyer from our team to seek financial recovery on behalf of you and your loved ones:
|In-depth understanding of truck accident cases||Can move quickly on your case||Free case evaluations||Pursues financial recovery while you recuperate from injuries||Recovers damages for clients in settlements and verdicts|
|Trial lawyers who can move your case to the next level||Negotiate insurance settlement on your behalf||Personalized, responsive legal care||Protects and preserves your legal rights||Compiles all evidence, documentation, and testimony|
What are Some Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
The FMCSA researched the most common reasons for truck accidents.
It is no surprise that truck accidents, like other motor vehicle accidents, are largely preventable. Driver error is the cause of 87 percent of truck accidents.
These driver errors include:
- Driver failing to act in an appropriate or timely manner.
- The driver is distracted by interior and exterior factors, including using a cell phone to text or email, adjusting controls, or road construction.
- The driver exhibits poor judgment, such as driving too fast for traffic or road conditions.
- The driver is reckless and ignores traffic lights, stop signs, and other rules of the road.
- The driver is excessively fatigued.
- The driver is operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
If you suffered injuries in a truck accident that a negligent or reckless driver caused, you could be entitled to damages for your medical bills and other losses.
How to Recognize a Distracted, Drowsy, or Drunk Driver
An impaired driver is a threat to everyone on the road. Here are the signs of a driver who may be distracted, drowsy, or drunk:
- Swerving in and out of their lane
- Following too closely (tailgating)
- Driving on the wrong side of the road or going the wrong way on a one-way street
- Driving at night without headlights
- Inconsistent braking and accelerating
- Driving too fast or too slow for the posted speed limit, road conditions, and traffic
- Delayed reactions to traffic lights and other vehicles
- Making excessively wide turns
- Sitting close to the windshield or appearing to have difficulty seeing out of the windshield
If you see a driver who may be impaired, do not act on your own. Try to safely get the license plate and contact the state highway patrol or local police department when it is safe to make the call.
Call for a Free Case Evaluation Today
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident that was not your fault, our legal team can help you recover damages for medical bills, lost pay, and other losses. A truck accident lawyer in Texas from D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ can help you with your case.
Call D. Miller & Associates, PLLC™ today for a free case evaluation.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Happens If You Can No Longer Work After a Car Accident?
- Can You Sue Walmart If You Slip and Fall in A Texas Store?
- How Much of a Settlement Should I Expect for A Herniated Disk?
- What Does the UCLA Sexual Abuse Settlement Cover, What Are the Specifics?
- Will My Health Insurance Cover Me In A Motorcycle Accidents?