The first thing you should do if you were a victim of sexual assault while in college is to focus on your physical and emotional healing. Once you have begun that process, you may consider speaking with your lawyer. You may be able to pursue a claim for what you went through.
What happened to you is not your fault, and we encourage you to reach out to the many resources that are available to sexual assault survivors. A lawyer with our firm can answer your legal questions and help you seek the recovery you may deserve.
If you or a loved one has been sexually assaulted and would like to know how to get counseling and other support, RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) has a 24/7 hotline: (800) 656-4673.
You Have a Limited Time to Seek Financial Recovery
You should know that each state has a statute of limitations or deadlines on when you may file a sexual assault lawsuit. Our firm is located in Texas, but we represent clients nationwide.
A lawyer with our firm can explain your options. Damages may include:
- Medical expenses including counseling, therapy, treatment, prescription medicine, and doctor’s visits
- Lost wages or reduced earning ability from assault-related injuries
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Please do not take about your legal rights as a sexual assault survivor lightly. Our firm will hold the liable parties accountable and help you recover damages.
Consider a Law Firm Carefully
Not every firm accepts sexual assault cases. You want to be comfortable with the team you choose. It is difficult to gauge a law firm based on a website, which is why we invite you to call for a free case evaluation.
Our practice area includes sexual assault cases and other personal injuries, including:
- USC (University of Southern California) and Dr. George Tyndall sexual assault lawsuit
- USC and Dr. Dennis Kelly sexual assault lawsuit
- OSU (Ohio State University) and Dr. Richard Strauss sexual assault lawsuit
- UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) and Dr. James Heaps sexual assault lawsuit
- Sexual violence
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Workplace injuries and workers’ compensation cases
- Human trafficking victims
- Premises liability
- Slip and fall accidents
Sexual Assault Has Many Forms
There are several forms of sexual assault. If anyone touched, attacked, coerced, or used drugs to force you into a sexual act that you did not consent to, you were sexually assaulted.
According to RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network), women ages 18 to 24 are among the highest risk groups for sexual violence. However, sexual violence affects men and women of all ages and children.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services estimates that one in five of all female college students reported a sexual assault.
Their alleged attacker may have been:
- An intimate partner
- An acquaintance or friend
- Someone in a position of trust and authority, such as a professor, advisor, or healthcare professional
- A stranger
Types of Sexual Violence
“Sexual violence” includes crimes of sexual assault, rape, and sexual abuse. If you were the victim of any type of the following crimes, or if someone forced, coerced, or drugged you into unwanted sexual acts, you deserve to seek financial recovery and justice:
- Sexual harassment (may include verbal, nonverbal, physical, or emotional acts)
- Sexual abuse by medical professionals
- Sexual exploitation
- Multiple offender sexual assault
- Sexual assault of men or boys
Sexual assault is a heinous crime.
Hope and Healing After a Sexual Assault in College
Talking about what happened to you can be difficult. D. Miller & Associates, PLLC offers a safe and confidential environment to tell your story. Everything you discuss with your attorney is confidential information. Our lawyers and team members are here for you and want to help you pursue the financial recovery and justice you deserve.
Choose a Legal Advocate to Protect Your Rights
A sexual assault lawsuit attorney will protect your rights and give you the legal support you deserve to seek financial recovery. We will be with you at each stage of the recovery process. Our lawyers work on a contingency basis only. For a free, confidential case evaluation, call (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Tractor-Trailer Accident Lawyer in Katy, TX
- Are Drunk Driving Accidents Handled Differently Than Normal Car Accident Injury Cases?
- What Do I Do If I Was a Victim of Sexual Assault While in College?
- The Woodlands Tractor-Trailer Accident Lawyer
- What Are Some Questions to Ask a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer?