Dr. James Heaps worked as a staff gynecologist at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) student health center from 1983 to 2010, and at UCLA Health from 2014 until his dismissal in 2018. Dr. James Heaps faces charges of sexual battery while his employer is accused of allowing him to continue practicing despite several complaints.
If you were a patient of Dr. Heaps during his nearly 30 years at UCLA, you may be entitled to financial recovery for damages that include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Lost wages and/or reduced income resulting from emotional trauma
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
We work on a contingency basis. Call us at (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation with a UCLA sexual assault lawsuit attorney at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC.
Consider D. Miller & Associates, PLLC for Your Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Not all law firms accept sexual abuse or assault cases. Our lawyers understand the complexities involved in building an effective case against powerful defendants such as the University of California, Los Angeles.
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC is a plaintiff’s firm involved inl high-profile sexual assault lawsuits, including:
- University of Southern California (USC) Dr. George Tyndall, former student health center gynecologist
- University of Southern California (USC) Dr. Dennis Kelly, former student health center staff doctor
- Ohio State University (OSU) Dr. Richard Strauss, former team physician
Our Team Is Committed to Offering Exceptional and Personal Service
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC has earned recognition from:
- 10 Best Award for Client Satisfaction 2017-2018 by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
- Top 100 by The National Trial Lawyers
- Excellence Award by Small Business Community Association
- Certified by Who’s Who Top Attorneys of North America
However, the highest compliment you can give our firm is your confidence and trust. We have successfully recovered damages for clients through insurance settlements and verdicts. Our lawyers will leave no stone unturned in our pursuit of financial recovery on your behalf. Please call (713) 850-8600 for a free case evaluation with a UCLA sexual assault lawsuit attorney on our team.
We Carefully Evaluate Each Case for the Best Possible Outcome
You only have one opportunity to seek financial recovery and justice as a sexual assault survivor. The lawyers at D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will use a careful process to evaluate your case and build a compelling case for trial.
This process begins with our lawyers listening to your story in a safe, confidential environment. You should then:
- Request your personal record and evidence that you were a patient of Dr. Heaps (this may include an Explanation of Benefits or EOB statement from your insurance carrier, old medical bills, and even an appointment reminder card).
- Establish that you were a patient of Dr. Heaps during his tenure at UCLA.
- Get your permission to speak with your healthcare provider about your physical and emotional well-being, treatment, and concerns.
- Request the necessary documents from the defendant(s).
- Secure expert testimony to prove pain and suffering and other damages.
- Calculate a valuation of your current and future losses.
- Communicate and negotiate with the defendant’s lawyer on your behalf.
Your lawyer and our support personnel are here to support and inform you at each stage. You will not have to face the defendants or their legal team on your own.
Both Dr. Heaps and UCLA May Be Held Accountable
Although it is Dr. James Heaps who was arrested on several charges of sexual battery, his employer, UCLA, is equally culpable. There is growing evidence that the university kept Dr. Heaps as a practicing gynecologist despite knowledge of his inappropriate and potentially criminal behavior.
A UCLA sexual assault lawsuit attorney with our firm will pursue recovery from all liable parties by proving:
- Dr. Heaps and UCLA owed a duty of care to students and patients to provide competent medical care in a safe environment.
- Dr. Heaps breached this duty of care by allegedly committing sexual assault, and UCLA did not uphold their duty of care by permitting patients to enter a dangerous environment.
- This negligence caused injury to you, the plaintiff.
- These injuries caused damages in the form of medical bills, pain and suffering, and other losses.
D. Miller & Associates, PLLC will help you pursue the financial recovery you deserve. For a free and confidential case evaluation, call (713) 850-8600.
Dr. Heaps’ Alleged Actions
To date, Dr. James Heaps has been accused of the following:
- Groping and fondling patients’ breasts, buttocks, and genitals
- Using inappropriate and aggressive probing or touching during medical exams
- Making inappropriate comments and sexual overtures
- Conducting unnecessary and invasive medical exams
If you or a family member were a patient of Dr. Heaps while he was at the UCLA student health center, you deserve to know your legal options. A sexual assault lawsuit attorney will protect your rights and help you pursue recovery.
Sexual Assault Lawsuits and Statute of Limitations
Each state has a different statute of limitations for filing a personal injury (sexual assault) lawsuit. D. Miller & Associates, PLLC represents clients who are located in Texas and in other states. Please do not jeopardize your opportunity to seek justice and recovery. Call our firm today.
We Are Ready to Help You
Your story of sexual assault survival deserves to be heard. Please contact D. Miller & Associates, PLLC today so that a UCLA sexual assault lawsuit attorney on our team may begin working on your behalf right away. For a free case evaluation, please call (713) 850-8600.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Texas Have a Statute Of Limitations For Personal Injury Claims?
- What Happens When You Get Into A Car Accident With No Insurance In Texas?
- What Are Your Legal Options If Someone Is Killed in A Pedestrian Accident in Texas?
- What Happens If You Get In An Accident In An Uber In Texas?
- Do You Need a Car Accident Attorney to Recover Money for Property Damage?