About the Volkswagen Emissions Lawuit
Researchers found that emission tests on certain VW cars were considerably lower than actual pollution levels produced. The diesel-powered Volkswagens and Audis would meet all government standards when tested, but actually emitted up to 40x the allowable levels of nitrogen oxide which can cause serious respiratory symptoms.
Executives at VW had told originally told government authorities that it must be a technical “glitch”. However, they have now admitted that the diesel cars have a “defeat device” installed which can reduce the level of toxic emissions during testing. They estimate that as many as 11M cars worldwide could have this sophisticated software installed.
482,000 VW and Audi Models Affected
The software which can circumvent EPA emission standard may have been installed on 482,000 Volkswagen and Audi 2.0 liter turbocharged diesel engine (TDI) vehicles sold in the U.S. since 2008.
VW and Audi Diesel models affected:
- Audi A3 (2010-2015)
- VW Beetle (2012-2015)
- VW Beetle Convertible (2012-2015)
- VW Golf (2010-2015)
- VW Golf Sportwagen (2015)
- VW Jetta (2009-2015)
- VW Jetta Sportwagen (2009-2015)
- VW Passat (2012-2015)
- These vehicles may have appealed to many owners because they were considered environmentally friendly. Buyers paid up to $7,000 more for their “clean diesel” cars which touted better gas mileage and lower carbon emissions than cars powered by gasoline.
All vehicles sold in the U.S. must have a certificate from the EPA that it meets federal emission standards on air pollution control. By installing the “defeat device”, VW may have violated The Clean Air Act. The affected cars will have to be recalled and fixed in order for them to meet federal standards. Unfortunately, the adjustments will most likely adversely affect fuel economy and performance.
VW Emissions Lawsuits Being Considered By Thousands
We are now investigating claims against Volkswagen AG on behalf of the owners of these cars. If you have own either of the VWs or Audis listed above, please contact our Volkswagen Emission Lawsuit attorneys for your free evaluation.
You may qualify for compensation if it is determined that VW did violate environmental regulations. You were promised a “clean diesel” car that would save you money and produce few pollutants than gas-powered cars. Instead you may have a vehicle that does not meet EPA standards and the fix could lower your gas mileage.
Related Frequently Asked Questions
- What Are Some Questions to Ask a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer?
- After An Accident With A Commercial Truck, Do I Sue The Company Or The Driver?
- My Child Was Injured At School – Can I Sue?
- Can You Sue For Distracted Driving Accidents In Texas?
- What Should You Do If You Are Injured In Bicycle Accident In Texas?